Transformers/G.I. Joe 1940's Story Comic

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Sound Blaster, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

Does anyone have any images of the Transformers from this comic??

It was set in WWII and it had re-designs of the all of the Autobots & Decepticons it was put out by Dreamwave Comics.

Thanks!

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

3. Sound Blaster

Cool Thanks Boggs6ft7

I saw some pics of the actual Transformers In Toyfare (Starscream,Megatron etc.) and would love to see these as well..

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    You know, Dreamwave was often criticized for having their artists draw in the "house style". I can't believe when they broke the style that Transformers\GI Joe is the direction they went.

I remember seeing the design sheets for the redesigned characters and I thought they looked awesome. The whole World War II setting was unexpected and had me intrigued.

Then, I bought the book and I spent the whole time going "What am I looking at? Is that a shoulder? Is that his head?"
    "There is an Autobot talking to a GI Joe, but I can't tell who it is because I can only see half the human's face and all I can see of the robot is his hand."

I am all for exaggerated styles, but not when the stylistic paradigm is to have most of the pertinent detail either off panel or obscurred in darkness. It was doubly frustrating when a giant robot would be standing in the middle of a field with nothing that could possibly be obstructing the natural light source yet somehow his face and half his body is cloaked in darkness.

5. Sound Blaster

Yes but where can I find the pics that REALLY show the Auto & Decep's that were in the Toyfare mag?

6. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I know what you're talking about. I have the series, read it a few times. I definitely see the potential. I'm not familiar with Jae Lee's other work, but it's clear that he has talent. He drew some great, great, great beautiful artwork reflecting the gritty atmosphere of World War II. Unfortunately, this meant that the Transformers themselves were treated like second-tier cameos in their own book. The covers actually have cooler artwork than the book itself.

You know there's a problem when you finish a 6-issue story arc and ask yourself, "Um...so what did Optimus Prime transform into?"

It's not that the art is bad (it's actually quite good), it's just inappropriate for use with the Transformers.

I don't recall a single well-lit picture of a Transformer. It constantly had scenes such as one where a "human" with his face hidden in shadow, and wearing a trench coat starts attacking other humans. Eventually, you get a few glimpses at his pile driver hands sticking out the trenchcoat, and you're supposed to know it was Rumble. I mean...huh?

7. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

I actually though the art fit the feel of the comic. Not usually a fan of Jae Lee's stuff but I though in the case of that story it worked well, very gritty, chaotic, and dark. Perhaps a little over done in some places but I thought the dialogue and overall writing made everything pretty clear.

8. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I really liked those designs, the darker sets, it's what the TF universe need. Not all those kid and flashy colors.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah thats what put me off the book despite being a TF comic whore. i just like my TFs bright and cheery.

10. Lord Of Tetris

It's not even that the art lacked "bright and cheery" colors...it's that the art was impenetrable.

Like...I really don't mind it if the Transformers have muted colors and are covered with bullet holes and burns. I thought that was really cool. My problem with TF vs GI Joe was that the art was...almost impossible to interpret. It is through dialogue alone that I infer who the Joes are talking to. Often, the artist only draws a TF's foot, or his hand, and the rest of him is out of frame. If all you had was the comic book and none of the character designs, you'd be forgiven for not even remembering what Optimus Prime looks like.

As a counter-example...while Hearts of Steel had a lot of flaws...a LOT of flaws...I still enjoyed it. Issue 1 showed the Transformers with muted colors and a more grim and atmospheric look...but the Transformers were hidden...glimpsed. Over the next few issues, the view opened up, and we actually saw what the new Starscream, Bumblebee, etc, looked like.

With TF vs GI Joe, it was like someone made an entire comic using the filming technique for the fight scenes from Gladiator and Batman Begins.

11. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

No he doesn't.

12. Lord Of Tetris

Eh. Fair Enough. :) 

13. Sound Blaster

Anyone???

This subject got a little off track

14. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Well for me the drawing and colouring fitted perfectly, specially with the snake eye's/stormashadow's story, wich was dark, plus the enviroment gave the whole story a more mature sense, again, it is what's needed to us the older fans. I don't want all the TF stories to be directed for a kid audience. In fact in a link that someone where posted you can see the difference between the DW's art cover and the Devil Vue's version of the Gi Joe-TF story, you can'ttell me that the Devil Vue's version looks better.

15. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Actually he does.

His 90's stuff is really over-exaggerated and often times hard to follow because of the excess inking, but his art from 1998 INHUMANS-on was far better.

TRANSFORMERS/GI JOE is marred because of really bad coloring choices--Lee uses a lot of dark so putting muted colors makes things utterly muddled. I could tell what was going on in Dark Tower and Inhumans, I could barely tell what was going on in that crossover.

16. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Who are the bots on the covers of issue 4 and 5.

#4, I'm tempted to say Brawl, but it doesnt really look like anything more than a robot wearing a tank-backpack.

#5, I have no idea.

17. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Which issue of Toyfare was it? Were they custom toys someone had made or just promo shots?

18. Sound Blaster

I don't know I don't have my copies anymore..They were not custom toys they were actual drawings of the characters as they were going to appear in the story (Starscream as a German fighter,Megatron as a German Liger, Soundwave as a Battle Field Radio, etc.) they was a 2 page artwork in one of the magazines.

19. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

The best part of that seres is the #1 incentive(I think) alt-cover by Don. If it had all been drawn like that it would have kicked ass, so I guess what I'm saying is that Don's art makes anything better. As for Jae Lee's art I hate it it's just as bad in everything I have ever seen him do. He killed my interest in the MK Cap seres with his shitty art (well Chuck Austin writing it did not help).

20. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

to say that the artwork sucks is a bit much......... its very dull and muted, but hey so was 1940's europe in the midst of a war!

the concept seems to want to make the transformers huge though, at least thats the impression i get from the cover gallery