Transformers Foundation

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I don't get this series. It gives us a different story than the previous prequel? Or is a prequel to the prequel?

2. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

Too be honest I think even IDW don't know anymore, Bayverse comics are just one big blurry mess now. But I would hazard a guess and say it's a prequel to everything and takes place before the events of the other prequel Defiance.

Still I liked the first issue and will probably pick up the second.

3. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :rolleyes

IDW most DEFINITELY knows what they're doing with this comic - or more specifically, the continuity guru author John Barber does. The bulk of each issue is clearly taking place before Defiance, with the bookends of each issue falling at some currently unclear point in time during Defiance itself (which will, the author notes, be made clear by the time the series is over). The second issue in particular is FULL of stuff that builds upon, informs and compliments Defiance, establishing the two-pronged Optimus/Megatron leadership of the planet, how the pair fell out, Arcee being part of Optimus's science division, Ironhide being a warrior... it's an expertly put together bit of continuity work.

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Okay thanks, that makes sense. I wasn't sure what was going on :lol .

5. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    This as well as the 5-page preview has me excited for the 2nd issue! Currently waiting for it in the post. I've liked Barber's writing in the first issues of Foundation and Rising Storm. He's definitely taken into account the previous movie comics.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    What sticks with me most about the first isue is the 'Next Issue:' page at the end uses artwork from within the strip just a couple of pages previously. So next issue features the current issue? Did IDW just do the comic equivalent of dividing by zero? :p 

7. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    On a similar note...

Were those fucking dinosaurs?!?!?
    What did I miss?

8. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    Model dinosaurs a la the La Brea Tar Pits.

9. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm quite liking this series too. Barber is an expert at typing all this seemingly un-tie-able movie fiction together. And unlike Rising Storm, it has art where I can make out what's happening. (And it's good, too.)

10. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    To me it looks like they were trying to add every little detail to the robot....but at the end it turned out like crap

Foundation is prety good.can't wait for a next episode

11. polystyleneman

polystyleneman Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's the La Brea Tar Pits? I've been there and don't remember dinosaurs, but rather Ice Age-era animals.

I thought the dinosaurs in RS looked more like they were supposed to be the ones at that rest stop in the Coachella Valley along the 10 that were in Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

12. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Barber is the best writer IDW's had since Mowry. A fine successor, this guy really knows his shit. He manages to work in all the previous movie comics (even Furman's sketchy...contributions), the prequel novels, AND still tie Earth stuff into a bunch of real world events.

The only other time I've seen an author pay this much attention to continuity in IDW was DnA's Infestation stuff, but that story was crazy on a whole different level.

13. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    Not literally the La Brea Tar Pits, just *like* the figures they have there, and yeah, also like those other ones you mention to.

14. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

damnit, do i have to start picking these up? i gave up after the first 2 issues of furman's last series where the movieverse started resembling the machination from infiltration.

I'll have to check to see if my comic store has foundation and rising storm.

15. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

picked up foundation 1 and 2, really liked them. good story, although i hope megatron's motivations are explained a bit more. issue 2 makes him seem power hungry, but i don't think he's uncovered the sarcophagus from defiance yet-- i guess maybe it's pure jealousy that's driving him? therefore he's got this military complex and is really pushing for exterminating "malcontents" to expand his own authority and operations? I guess that works for me.

The art is amazing. Although some of the faces and lines remind me of mango's art, this is a totally different ball game. Especially in issue 2, you get completely different lines/coloring to indicate the long-ago past, the past (where the bulk of the story takes place), and the present (where prime is in kill mode for megs). while the first reminds me of chee (altho a lot more detailed, kind of a water color look), the recent past reminds me a bit of milne and magno (but w/o the bad), and the present looks more like casey coller w/ some anime influences. very nicely done.

overall i'm very pleased with this and may have to pick up rising storm if it's the same writer. my only issue is-- wasn't arcee 1 warrior split up into 3 by experimentation? wasn't that explained in a tales of the fallen, or some other comic around the time of revenge of the fallen? and when split, she became chromia and elita-1?

16. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    Nope. Elita-1 and Chromia were killed by cons.Arcee nearly joined them but then Flatline used Arcee's spark for all three bodies(or something like that.Can't remember it correctly right now)