Transformers Field guide

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Hollywood Hoist, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does anyone have the Cybertronian Transformers field guide? I would like to know how it differs from the Cybertronian recognition guides? Specifically does it focus on every figure and include what weapons and accessories came with them? Thanks for any information.

-HH

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

The guy who wrote them posts here as Hiro Prime. I'm sure he can provide you with detailed info if you're interested.

I have the Field Guide, although my kids love it to death and it is well worn and basically in shreds because they look at it so much. If memory serves it has the first three series (through the 1986 toys) in it. It has every figure up to that point in both robot and alt modes, as well as photos of all accessories. It also has the little fun facts in there (i.e., this figure is commonly missing this part, this figure is based on this vehicle model, etc). It does NOT have the tech specs, nor the supplementary material from the back of the recognition guides. It's a nice guide though, I like it.

3. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Somebody mention my name? (thanks KD)

The Cybertronian Field Guide was an experiment of a sort based on a number of question we recieved about the Recognition Guides. The first one being that people wanted a complete list of all Transformers in one book. (which didn't fit with a detailed book that gave most of the toys a page of info each) Another was that some people were using the guides for shows and Flee Markets and just wanted pics of the toys and parts to see if a toy they were buying was complete, but the guides were a little too big and too many to carry around at a show.

So we racked our heads together to see how we could give the fans what they wanted. Somewhere along the way, someone suggested (and I don't remember who) we try to make a price guide like Toy Fare. So we put all of the idea's together and made the Field Guide. (The two covers were made so that fans of Either the Autobots or the Decepticons could get the one they liked best.) About 800 more covers for the Autobots wer ordered than the Megatrons.

The Field Guide was my best seller as far as the Cybertronians went, unfortunately it was also the one that brought the whole thing to an end. Another one of my books you might want to try to pick up would be the Cybertronian Index. It was one of the last books I did and I like to think of it as a better Field Guide as it was designed to be more usefull than the Field Guide. (as I didn't like the price Guide part) It had a pic of every American TF from '84 G1 up to the end of RID in '02. The idea was to update the book every two years and to eventually work in the Japanese/European toys.

Unfortunately, all of the books have long since sold out and I've drained my comp copy coffers dry. The books were mostly sold to Comic Shops so you might find one or two who would have them for sale. And the use to pop up on E-bay from time to time. So I'd recommend to just keep looking and you should be able to find one.

Thanks for your intrest. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask here or by PM.

Hiro Prime

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    cyb recog guide rawks!

with respect to alvarez and co., when anyone ask me what is the definitive TF guide book, i refer to cyb recog guides. great commentray by dlin and detail approach to toy identification, also neat-o art by fans (and pros) - i cant believe i missed hirofumi drawing the AM cover.

only downside it requires couple'a volumes to complete em.

too bad you never got to do the jpn/euro stuff hiro :( 

5. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Cybertronian Field Guide is a sweet book!

6. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

A local shop here in Cincy, http://www.theearthtoymall.com/, sometimes has this book in stock. The guys over there are great and are big TF fans...give them a call/email.

7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Yeah, my local shop still has a copy of the Field Guide and about half of the Recognition Guides if anyone's having trouble locating one.

8. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Id like to aquire one of these field guides.

9. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

wow... thats cool. Anyone know another place where they sell these?

10. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    You can even find them at libraries. That's how I found four of them.