Transformers fiction

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by weeklyhero, Mar 26, 2010.

1. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I don't get it. I can go out and buy Transformers comics, but when I want something more substantial, like a novel, I'm crap out of luck. I remember the early 90's when Marvel and DC were all publishing novels and I read the hell out of them. I don't even think I was reading the comics at the time. They finally brought out a trilogy of books and an anthology, and even though they weren't the best, I loved sitting in a chair and being able to read about the Transformers for a few hours at a time. Nowadays we still have a ton of Star Wars and Halo books out, but Transformers gets nothing except maybe a movie tie-in. I want some original novels and I can't be the only one.

What I'd love to see is some high-profile writers tackling our favorite subjects. Michael Crichton writing about a small team of Autobots checking out an outer space anomoly. Stephen King writing about the Fallen trying to raise the dark god Unicron. Some mystery writer (I don't know any except Tony Hillerman and he's dead) writing about Nightbeat searching for some ancient Transformer artifact. I'd read every one of these and more.

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think I want high-profile writers like Michael Crichton and Stephen King writing novels about the Transformers.

As an aspiring novelist, I'm tempted to write an original Transformers story, but I don't think I could ever get Hasbro's permission and total support in that project. :( 

3. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I do agree with you since I've got the same aspirations, but since Hasbro would never release their license to unknown writers, who would you want writing about them? Or are you not interested in reading books for them?

4. Anodythe

Anodythe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe they should read some of the truely good fanfic. nah...they may be too lazy.

5. Lock Cade

I certainly didn't mind the movie novels that Alan Dean Foster wrote, so an author like Foster would be best suited to write TF novels -- be they based on any of the previous shows or future shows, or even original stories.

6. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Was his work an adaption from the movie or did he write a prequel to it?

I remember the trilogy they had a few years back, the writer from the first book or two stunk, but the last book was a load better. David Cian, I thin khis name was. But if he was replaced on the RotF books, I guess he couldn't be that good.

7. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I think we could find quite a few fans who would love to see more TFs novel fiction. So far, all there has been really are the moviel novels and children's story books. For a while, i've thought wouldn't it be cool if there was an anthology of TFs short fiction from various writers? Maybe some of the best TFs fanfic writers could contribute. Of course, it might be problematic for Hasbro to endorse such a collection if it was full of stories from various universes, so they'd likely want to propose a theme and some boundaries to the stories (like saying they would all need to be set in one particular 'official' or accepted universe or that they would all need to be purely focused on indivuidual characters with little impact on the larger events of their wider universes, complicated eh?). But that's probably not ever gonna happen. It's just not 'fitting' for a what is ultimately a kids toy franchise. But in time, if TFs comes to be considered more of an adult sci-fi epic with a significant mature fanbase like Star Wars, then maybe Hasbro might start exploring more adult-oriented merchandising, including novels. Or, if any of the few TFs novels and books they release in time to come (like the upcoming WfC Exodus book and Allspark Almanac Vol. 2) sells incredibly well, they might take notice of this avenue.

Like you've mentioned above though, I think anyone who seriously expects a chance to write fiction for Hasbro would need to have some kind of portfolio to show them that they are professional writers. They aren't just gonna hire some unknown amateur self-proclaimed writer.

8. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I got the two prequels and adaptations, I got the keepers trilogy and the Legends anthology but I crave more!

Give me transformers novels dammit! But that upcoming War for Cybertron book is a novel right? (I hope it is).

9. Lock Cade

Alan Dean Foster wrote a prequel movie-tie-in for the first movie, titled "Ghosts of Yesterday," then the 07 movie adaptation novel, a prequel tie-in to ROTF called "The Veiled Threat," AND the ROTF movie adaptation novel.

So, to answer your question... he did both adapations of the movies plus wrote prequels for each movie... and I certainly hope that he will do the same for TF3.

10. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    IF, and it's a mighty big IF..Hasbro would allow any well known fiction writer take on Transfomers, the only would I can think of at the moment would be James Patterson.. he currently has a series of "special abilities" children and tweens that he writes about in the Maximum Ride series..so it might not be a huge leap for him to write about Robots in Disguise..:thumb 

11. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Hmm, that's interesting, because he writes in just about every genre too. I wouldn't mind seeing that.

I'd love to see Bob Skir take on an entire novel because his short in Legends was fantastic. Too bad you can't say that about 90% of the rest of the stories in there.

12. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Crichton... :p 

13. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i'll agree with TC alan dan foster should write the 3rd prequel and the movie he did a great job with the first two.

14. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

But what about stories based on Generation 1, or the new Transformers Prime series? I'll admit, I have no interest in the movie universe, but I want some books that flesh out the other universes we love.

15. Lock Cade

I'm sure we'll probably see some sort of a book for TF: Prime; probably not a novel, but at least some sort of a guidebook.

Doubtful they would come out with novels based on G1, since a lot of the G1 fans are adults now and Hasbro seems to cater more to the children, so why would they let someone write a novel series about G1 if it's not going to appeal to the youth who may or may not be familiar with the series?

16. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

They may cater more to the children, but their Generations line now still does cater a lot to the older fans, considering they're bringing out Straxus (under a different name, I know, but still) and he's almost unknown to anyone not reading the original comic. They're constantly doing stuff for the older fan in the toyline, so why not spread that to other media, like books, considering their relative cheapness compared to the toys?

17. Lock Cade

True, Hasbro has catered to us older fans with some of their toy lines, but remember their primary target audience is children. It's one thing for them to release toys geared for the adult collector, but to come out with Transformers novels -- besides the ones Alan Dean Foster wrote for the Movie-verse -- that are geared for adults? Chances of that happening are slim to none.

Face it... Hasbro is not going to please every single Transformers fan out there. Unless you happen to know a whole bunch of people who would really want Transformers novels geared for adult fans and you all write letters to Hasbro convincing them to have such books published, then you're pretty much out of luck.

18. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

If you're ok with fan-fiction, I highly recommend PeteyNorth's Transformers 2.0 It's definitely worth the read if you're into the G1 characters with a bit more of a focus on the story and tying together of those Marvel and Cartoon plot elements.

19. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I tend to shy away from fanfic because it's so hard to weed out the bad stuff and find the good stuff. No offense to any fanfic writer of course, I just have my tastes and it's hard to find something that fits them. Of course, this applies to actually novelists too, I may hate their stuff, like the first book of the Keepers Trilogy and half of the stories in the Legends anthology.