Transformers featured in Ready Player One?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Henriquedematos, Mar 31, 2018.

1. LockdownTF

LockdownTF Well-Known Member

Definitely not optimus prime. This guy has white round the face yellow eyes and a shield. Looks more like a gundam you see one near the end of the film

• Like Like x 1
  2. Vic Turton

Vic Turton Member

Wishful thinking I think haha

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That couldn't more clearly be Gundam. Looks like it's based on the RG model.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Not me. LOL!

5. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Um...

Oh yea, it's definitely Optimus.

In all seriouness that's the OG Gundam.

I'm surprised no Transformers showed up. It's a staple of the 80's.
    They did show the TMNT in the final battle, though.

• Like Like x 3
  6. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I remember a time when all the robots were called Gobots...1983 to 1985 or so...thanks to their beating Transformers to the market by a fiscal quarter or two. Robots all became Transformers at around 1986 on.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was filled with feelings when Gundam showed up, wish I had those feelings in a Transformers movie.

8. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even though the Transformers may not have appeared in Ready Player One, maybe they could do in the sequel (if it gets made)?

Although I will say, I'm not surprised a lot of the characters that do appear are Warner Bros. properties.

9. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal YouTuber (she/they)‍️‍

News Credits:
    I just saw Ready Player One last night and there were NO Transformers in it that I'm aware of. Granted I did see it in 3D and not only is it impossible to focus on stuff in the background that the stereoscopic 3D doesn't want you to focus on, but just by the nature of 3D always looking dark and shitty in a movie theatre, it's almost impossible to see anything even when it's reasonably lit and in focus.

The only thing even remotely Transformers related I saw was the Ninja Turtles. The shitty, ugly, Michael Bay ones. Like WTF? Yeah, I know it's the players avatars and this is so-and-so decades in the future, but are they seriously telling me THESE are the versions of the Turtles that stood the test of time? Not, you know, the 90's ones which are from same era that the Oasis's creator was obsessed with and that these "Gunters" would arguably probably know better from idolizing him?

I also heard people say they saw Ruby Rose from RWBY in there before I went and saw it. So I was looking for her and didn't see her. Tracer from Overwatch showed up one too many times. And I did see a couple of Harley Quinns from Arkham City. But I digress before I go on and on about who I did see and who I was hoping to see.

Needless to say, once the initial high of the movie wears off, you rapidly realize that it's not a masterpiece. There are huge plot holes all over the place. But at least it's entertaining while you watch it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Admittedly, the only things I found unrealistic about the armies of theoretically-copyrighted avatar appearances being used by players is that (1) they weren't modded to hell and back, and (2) apparently every person in the Oasis gets to have exclusive use of one copyrighted character, because otherwise you'd see a thousand repeats of the same character over and over. Note how all the named characters in the movie have their own custom avatars (which are kind of mishmashes of lots of other original characters), but anyone in the background is reference/cameo/cosplay fodder?

(And you're right about the movie being a trainwreck if you stop to actually study it. But it's a very, very pretty trainwreck...)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Ruby Rose and Transformers. That's all I was looking for, yet I saw neither. I thought they would've either been in the final battle, or the race, but I only saw a truck...

12. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:

• Like Like x 1
  13. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I seen the movie recently mostly to look for any Transformers but the only thing I spotted were some Ninja Turtles... with their recent movie designs which seemed out of place when a lot of the other references were from the 80's and 90's and that was the only thing I saw from the 2000's. There's probably a ton of things I missed though. It's actually a pretty good movie so worth checking out even if you don't manage to catch your favorite references.

• Like Like x 1
  14. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Yeah, the big thing that stuck out to me...
    With the game up of players all over the world, what are the chances of all the main characters who never met in real life living so close to each other?

15. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

Yep gobots we’re out first, But quickly lost a lot of ground to transformers in the first year

No I’m not talking money or sales or anything but I never recall a time when all robots or even transformers were mistaken for Gobots

In fact even in transformers first year I recall many kids requesting transformers as gifts and getting gobots by Mistakend parents

16. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I totally agree about the copy right nightmare. The movie basically tells us that your avatar can literally be anything which means that the creators of the Oasis, remember there were originally two guys before one left the company, they would of had to secure the copy rights and trade marks for every fictional character ever made in order for that to actually be possible...

A way around this is a lot of games promis limitless possibilities as a marketing ploy, especially open world games with customization options and yet they do actually have limits. In other words this could be an exadgeration rather than a factual statement.

Also I wouldn't say exclusive rights but known characters do seem to be rare like when the surprise that one girl shows when seeing an Iron Giant. Of course H says he's building it. And I know that statement isn't entirely accurate but I'm intentionally leaving out that detail for anyone who hasn't seen the movie. Maybe the reason we don't see hundreds of copies of the same character is because they're like exclusive items you have to collect and trade. Or maybe it's just because we only see a fraction of the player base. I mean supposedly everyone in the world is into that game yet the characters we see seem to all be localized in the same real world location... which is also unbelievable...

How exactly does everyone end up meeting up in the real world when realistically they should all be miles apart unless they actually met IRL but we know they didn't, we're told they all met online so how in the Sam hell do they all happen to actually live in the same city? It's like the rest of the world doesn't exist beyond that one city.

I've played online games before and never met anyone in game closer than 200 miles away. The only locals are people I already knew IRL like my dad as we both use to play City of Heroes. One of my coworkers I found out IRL use to play as well before we met, and we were on the same server but never ran into each other in game. So it just seems impossible that not just two but five people who met in game all happen to live in the same city IRL.

• Like Like x 1