Transformers Fans are Not Whiners

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Anguirus, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love this board, and many (if not most!) of the frequent posters, but one thing has really been dragging me down. Take a spin through the most popular forums and threads, and you will find enormous, relentless negativity.

This negativity takes many forms, but ultimately, it is always targeted at your fellow fans. For instance, if you deride one of the many Transformers television programs as "kiddy" or "stupid," you are slamming everyone who loves it. If you wish that a toyline (especially one that is clearly not targeted at you) would be ceased in order for YOUR favorite figures to be emphasized instead, you are crying for Hasbro to hurt that toyline's fans in order to benefit you.

And honestly, I can hardly bear to browse the movie forum. Many of us TFW posters act like nothing more or less than the worst stereotypes of obsessed fans, leaping on every bit of news like sharks with less dignity.

What can those of us who find this poisonous atmosphere distasteful do about it?

Well, nothing.

We are all Transformers fans, we all have an equal voice. There is a moderator staff here: maintaining order is their job and they do it well.

What I propose is not to criticize, but to inspire.

I propose that those of us who do not wish to contribute to this bile post some of your own thoughts here. One idea I had was a sort of group one joins or public pledge one makes to announce that one will act like an adult (such as in one's signature).

Suggestions for the conduct of a "member" might include:

-Thinking before you post

-Reading more than the title of a long thread before you post.

-Do not harass fans of toylines and media that you do not yourself peruse. For instance, if you hate PCCs, simply do not collect them and refrain from posting that you hate them in threads dedicated to them. If you can't stand the Bayverse, the Movie forum is probably not a place you need to post in every day, at least not if you have nothing but your hatred to add.

-If you do hate something and deem it appropriate to share this hatred, then restrict yourself to posting if and only if you have something to add. For instance, saying that you hate the way Hasbro is doing combiners now would be more interesting and relevant if you supplied reasons why they should change their course. On the other hand, the fact that you now hate "HasFail" because you have brilliantly figured out that you are not in the target market for MP-M01/Fast Action Battlers/Slumblebee is not interesting and serves no purpose other than to drag the board down.

-Pause and consider before deciding that Hasbro etc. has taken a course of action for no reason other than to hurt you.

-Since every Transformer ever produced has its adult fans, it is probably a mistake to treat your personal taste as a universal standard for the board/all fans in your comments.

-YOU ARE NOT A MODERATOR. (unless you are.)

-Thou Shalt Not treat others differently or judge them in any way based on whether they've posted in this thread, have anything in their signature, etc.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't publicly disagree with the actions of any individual or company, and it sure as hell doesn't mean you shouldn't have opinions. I'm just suggesting that reason + civility = a net gain for board culture. The more regular posters hold themselves to a higher standard, the more we will inspire.

We are adults. Let's act like it.

2. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Isn't complaining about whiners in and of itself an act of whining?

3. megatronski

megatronski Flamewar's strongest soldier

News Credits:
    I believe Everyone on these boards who is out of the hasbro Age range should take what they get and deal with it. They are Freaking Adults playing with Toys pointed towards Childeren. I think they should be Happy Hasbro is even giving them stuff like classics, When i dont think they Deserve it. They Are constantly bashing everything that comes out, saying stuff like 'You Ruined my Favorite character!' 'My childhood has been ruined'. I mean come on. Have some maturity. You Should be Happy about all your getting.

FYI i referred to the fanbase as 'They' because im still in the age range Hasbro actually sells the toys to. (im 13)

Sorry to those who take offence. just my opinion.

4. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

And just for the record, Star Trek fans are waaaay worse when it comes to whining.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2010
  5. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

toys don't stress me out

6. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I think people opinions offend others....some people don't know how to understand that people don't think like each other, if they did I would want to leave....I think some people do whine, esp in radicons...like some rads are amazing pieces, than there is a hater...you know when someone has opinion about it and when they are hating.....now whining on hasbro...like others said...it a toy cater to kids, if hasbro just made toys for adults, they would have been out of business a long time ago....some people forget that certain laws prevent hasbro from making certains toys...I'm no whiner..I just get what I like...mama always told me if you don't something nice to say then don't say nothing @ all...peace

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, but this is without relevance: being intolerant of intolerance is similarly a logical position.

If I were suggesting systematic targeting of a specific class of poster, or wishing harm on anybody, I would indeed be hypocritical and in the wrong. However, the only premise I suggest is that there is such a thing as dignity and those of us who desire it might inspire others to it.

If this post is deemed to be counterproductive (or this kind of thing has been suggested before and it turned out to be terrible, etc.) then by all means lock this thread.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I believe everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

That said. I believe "opinions" need to be informed, and well thought out to warrant any merit.

I agree that many posts lack any of that, and are simply made out of a knee-jerk reaction, more often than not either in distaste of the slightest bit of change given to accepted status quo, or distaste for perpetuating said status quo.

But this is the interwebz and people will be happy to say all they want behind the anonymity of a User Name and avatar.

9. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

Its been a while since I have heard too much negative on here. Yeah some Quality issues slip but oh well, I think we all deal with it.

And as for the complaining on some designs and availability its bound to happen, nothing can go uncomplained on forever.

And I second the guy who talked about Star Trek and Star Wars extreme fans, they go way beyond what you'll see here.

10. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, having flashbacks to '95 when I first got online.

Eventually your skin thickens enough and shit just rolls off.

11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    the title of this thread is misleading... aren't you really saying "Transformers Fans: How about try Not Whining?"

12. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    It's constructive complaining. :p 

13. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love the irony of the topic title and what the post basically is...

Its ok to hate as well as love just so long as you have some reason behind it and your prepared to talk about it and if you have to agree to disagree. To simply shut up and only praise is just unnatural and ultimately not constrictive

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I reserve the right to whine shamelessly about the most petty aspect of anything TF related.

If that actually upsets anyone, you have my deepest sympathy, but I'm gonna keep on rockin'.

15. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    The very existence and title of this thread suggests otherwise.

16. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Obligatory single word response: This!

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There are tactful and tactless fans. The tactless ones just tend to stand out more through their own tactlessness, which they either don't see in themselves, or don't care, or get (I HAVE A RIGHT TO MY OPINION!) indignant when called on it. Also the tactful can get tactless when emotions are running high. It's easy for the tactless to drown out the tactful, even when they are the minority. There's a reason you don't often see in forums "OMG I DON'T CARE FOR THIS TOY at ALL, BUT THERE'S NOTHING WRONG IF OTHERS LIKE IT!!!1!!!1"

Anyway, you got a point there, however futile the plea might inheretly be.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  18. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

It has to go both ways. People are entitled to an opinion, whether it be negative or positive. There's been plenty of times where I've posted my opinion, which has been negative at times (because I am not obligated to like everything everyone else likes) and all of a sudden there's people jumping down my throat because they didn't like what I had to say.
    Granted there's times where I have flown off the handle so to speak, which I later regret. I am the kind of guy who gives back what I get, treat me like poop and I'll treat you the same back, so naturally this has led me into some arguments on the boards.
    The moral of the story folks, is that regardless if you agree or disagree with someone's opinion, they still have a right to voice it without being shot down in flames. If people were not so prone to being defensive and posting with a reactionary frame of mind, then some truely good and inspiring conversation might start to happen.
    Discontent is the catalyst for progress.

19. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Well-Known Member

OH NO! People on the internet are WRONG!

Seriously, you should try reading the rebelscum.com forums. There's some good information to be had about new releases but to get to it you'll have to wade through pages of people complaining. They say things like "this figure's waist is too thin", or "Leia never used that gun so its not screen accurate" or, my favorite, "R2's head isn't that pointy!".

So basically, it could be worse. MUCH WORSE. Like 2007 worse.

20. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Tl;dr

peace out yo

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2010