Transformers Exodus novel

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TALLUS76, Jan 2, 2011.

1. TALLUS76

TALLUS76 TFs FOREVER

Ebay:
    Have you read the Transformers history novel called Exodus. Its written well but i find alot of it wrong compared to most media licensed and released for the Transformers world. Looks to me like the author is not a real Transformers follower(not looking to disrespect anyone here), characters were described wrong and parts of the history were wrong. Biggest pet peeves towards the end was when the Autobots left Cybertron in the Ark it wasnt the regular crew, the Ark had most of the Autobots civilization aboard. Also the Nemesis was Trypticons third transformation. Just those two things mess up the story for when gen 1 starts. Also during fighting when Prowl was envolved he used Ninja weapons which leads me to believe the author got his character info online and was looking at the Prowl from Animated, not gen one. Why cant a real fan write these stories. Wish Simon Furmon had wrote it instead.

Just seeing if anyone else found these errors to be disapointing. Hats off to the author though, He's a great writer and i really enjoyed the book, i will be reading it again but just wish the history and character content was true to the Gen one story line. The War for cybertron game did a great job staying as close as they could and War Within Dreamwave series still gets me excited when i read it.

I took a look into the history more just to make sure i wasnt being overly critical and even found on TFwiki and other sites that the Transformers history is still really confusing to follow in some aspects.

Just thought I'd throw this out there and see what other fans think. And please this is just for discussion, not to bash others works. I'm just wishfully hoping someday there will be an actual history book put together. or if there is and i just dont know can someone please post its name for me and others that might not know.

Attached Files:

2. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Search can be your friend. This is also more suited for the War For Cybertron forum, as that's what the book is about.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...mers-exodus-official-discussion-spoilers.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...0363-exodus-war-cybertron-hardcover-book.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...scussion/309464-transformers-exodus-book.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-war-cybertron-discussion/318728-war-cybertron-book.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ion/321040-picked-up-transformers-exodus.html

You also seem to be operating on the assumption that the book leads into G1, which it not only doesn't, it wasn't supposed to. It's a tie-in with War For Cybertron and the current/upcoming Transformers Prime TV series.

The book isn't bad, but to call the author unfamiliar at all with Transformers is a pretty major slight. For all it's faults, it's chock full of references to all the recent and even some of the older US series.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

What Pravus Prime said. The book does not lead into G1; the book is a tie-in with War For Cybertron and TF: Prime. Hasbro said so.

4. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Would agree with the above, read those threads posted, there's been plenty of discussion on Exodus. Most of us enjoyed Exodus as it lead us to and WFC to TFPrime which will continue the story line I'm sure.

5. TALLUS76

TALLUS76 TFs FOREVER

Ebay:
    From what im reading on the other boards, theres are lots of other confused people. The book states its the official history but then on sites regarding the book its not the official history. Thats one thing that has always bugged me with Transformers. TOO MANY alternate universes. Lots of my friends that were fans but have lost interest due to this.
    again i wish there was a official timeline and official story to tie everything together without having to always say. Oh its a alternate universe. Having that as an excuse seems to be getting old. Just a pet peeve of mine and lots of other fans that ive discussed this with. But then again having all the different views also helps keep the TFs world expanding.
    I like alot many others were lead to believe this was a prequel to the game War for Cybertron but i guess it wasnt. just another take on the story. If this is whats leading to the new story Prime then it will make Prime quite interesting. Ive watched the first shows and it seems to be a winning series so far. Lets just all keep our fingers crossed that it stays that way.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Kind of hard to have an official time-line and official story for the Transformers since the franchise is constantly being reinvented.

7. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    It isn't written well. It's barely a consistent story. If it wasn't for the Transformers I would not have finished reading it, just because "only" TF fans will read it doesn't forgive lazy story telling.

8. TALLUS76

TALLUS76 TFs FOREVER

Ebay:
    I wouldnt say it was lazy writing. I thought it was written well. Just the inconcistancies had me wondering what was going on.

9. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Well I thought it was bad writing, but I'm glad others enjoyed it more than I. If it had been a random sci-fi or fantasy novel I would not have had the inclination to keep reading, it was purely the "history of the Transformers" that kept me reading when I realised I wouldn't get much out of it.

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Personally I rather enjoyed the first 8 (six? Whenever the war really starts) chapters as a lead in to WFC on the DS. Then as far as I'm concerned, it goes into other territory as I follow the DS Game storyline instead.

11. Kaje

Kaje Well-Known Member

Yes, it definitely was not well-writen. It has me very worried about Irvine's upcoming Star Wars novel.

But yeah, the inconsistencies with G1 are because it's not G1. On the other hand, the inconsistencies with WFC and even within the book itself are big enough to drive a Grandus through.

12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Makes ya wonder if HASBRO read it.
    Or played the game.
    Or watched PRIME.

Or smoking shrooms.

13. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who says the author isn't a transformer fan just because he took Prowl from Animated and not G1? Last I checked both were still transformers. Just because it isn't G1 doesn't mean the person isn't a fan.

14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I read it an quite enjoyed it. Then again I'm easy to please.

But I highly doubt the author even knew of TF: Prime's existence. So just like War for Cybertron I believe Hasbro is blowing smoke up our tail pipes when they claim they are the same.

Heck I don't even consider the book canon for War for Cybertron considering how it contradicts the game.

I take it for what it is. A story about robots who transform into vehicles fighting for their home world. And as that I enjoyed it. Not perfect but still enjoyable.

15. shadewolf

shadewolf New Member

while it may not be a G1 true history i think if you really read it. it did a pretty good job of meshing together most of the different storylines new and old and managed to bring them into a shared universe even if it did leave out a piece here and there from some of the stories, but hey try reading any number of different history books on human history and not many of them match up exactly either.

16. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I consider it more canon than the game. But that's my fanon.

17. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

Actually I am reading that book now, and what I have read sofar It sounds like it belong in the 2007 film at the moment

18. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    What sites? It's the official history so long as it says it is. For all intents and purposes, War for Cybertron was just a game. The Exodus book is meant to lead into the Transformers Prime series.

Hasbro has no expectation for the different fiction makers (cartoon, book, comics or games) to coordinate together or something to create a singular, non-conflicting continuity because it's impractical. Each of the "Prime" continutiy products are made for different market segments.

Hasbro, if they felt like it, COULD have ordered the writers of Prime to integrate more stuff from WFC and Exodus, but where would that leave its primary viewership who may not have played WFC or read Exodus? Keeping things vague (but with basic similarities) in each case allows (the targeted audiences) to enjoy each media as they are, rather than being confused by specific references to things that didn't happen in this series.

Adult internet fans tend to watch and see far more of Transformers than the intended average viewer or customer, which allows fans the luxury to point out inconsistencies.

Frankly, I think people are treating this mediocre video game too preciously, which is why they're getting all angry that their beloved G1-looking game is, officially, not G1 at all.

19. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i'd like to pick exodus up can i get it at barnes and noble? and how much?

20. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Just admit it: the novel, game and new show don't fit together. So why not stop being HASBRO's water carrier for 5 minutes and just admit that that they are blowing smoke in regards to the different products being the same continuity?

And your G1ophobia don't help you either.

So instead of holding up a continuity failure as a virtue, just think for yourself and admit that they blew it and move on. Otherwise, the WIKI is just another lapdog media.