Transformers Exodus/Exiles Opinions?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Nov 9, 2011.

1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm currently reading Transformers Exodus after doing some research on the Aligned Continuity and was thinking this might turn out to be my favorite continuity in Transformers mythology because it takes all the past mythology and turns it into one(awesome concept). I bought both Exodus and Exiles from Amazon and don't regret it.

The book isn't bad at all. I do enjoy it, but there are some criticisms I have.
    I'm not too fond of how the Autobots and Decepticons just began a civil war because Megatron suddenly feels Orion Pax always wanted power. I wish they would have developed a hate in Megs for Optimus for at least a chapter or two.

What are your opinions on the two novels?

2. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Personally i loved them but no one ever agrees with me........:( 

However exiles was little hard to keep track of at times

3. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I read Exodus several times. It was a great read, even though the writer was careless and contradicted himself in the story. Exiles is a piece of shit. What happened to the Decepticons' dark energon addiction? Idk there was no mention of it in Exiles. Good riddance to hack writer Irvine.

4. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I liked Exodus but could not be bothered to get into detail. However, I previously have written a review on Exiles so I've copied and pasted.

I personally thought the novel was OK but not as good as its predecessor "Transformers: Exodus". Exodus informed us of what Cybertron was like before the Great War. Until then we could only guess it was similar to modern USA. Exile, on the other hand tells us about two planets with unique cultures which most fans would already know about. While on Velocitron, the entire story was centered around almost one place. It seemed as if the whole planet only contained that hanger and a few race tracks. One reason seems to be because the whole planet actually only contained that hanger and a few race tracks (with a couple of other places). This, IMO, greatly took away from the book. Junkion was a bit more interesting.

The plots were generally not catching to me. I almost immediately predicted 777 was Hound merely based on the amount of development he got. I did not entirely see Makeshift coming but the thought did cross my mind. At one point I thought that one reason why Hound would be the traitor was he seemed like the most likely to be a rival to Prowl. Prowl was a logical thinker who is a trained detective while Hound was a tracker so it would be logical that he would know how to cover his tracks and could always rely on his instincts. IMO it was a disappointment that it was Makeshift disguised as Hound as it lost the possibility of rivalry.

The Star Saber plot never really caught me and when it became a gateway it was almost immediately dropped along with Vector Prime.
    In Exodus, the entire second half of the novel was dedicated to battles while only the last few chapters in Exiles were. Those where the only parts in Exiles that ever really got my attention. There was the mystery of who arrived to Velocitron when Decepticon arrived after (as far as we knew) they had already arrived. This, sadly, was dumped when Megatron randomly mentions that he had heard that Velocitron recently had a run in with pirates. This only became interesting again during the last few chapters as well.

I did like the last few chapters. The Decepticon invasion was a good part in my opinion with high stakes. Once we found out about how powerful the Requiem Blaster was, the story became far more interesting. I also found Axer quite interesting and I started to like his character. I also found the pirates a bit interesting once we actually started to find out about them. I also found the Junkions a bit interesting. We did already know about their culture so that took away a bit. I did found it interesting how they barely cared about life and they would keep working with almost no care for who was in danger or even if there was a mysterious ship appearing. Their entire planet was ripped apart and they just got straight back to work rebuilding it as if it was just a minor delay.

It will be interesting to find out how the pirates, Junkions and the Requiem Blaster play out in Transformer: Prime (if at all). After this novel, I really could not give a shit about Velocitron and its problems. That story line bored me. At one point I wondered how a person who can turn into almost anyone like Makeshift would play out in Prime only to remember he already was and was just a one off villain who died in the same episode he was introduced in.

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I gotta tell ya, for as much as I enjoyed Exodus and heard people saying Exiles was better, I really didn't think it was. Like, at all. It had just as many contradictory points, but they were far more confusing, distracting and infuriating (for example,
    I'm *certain* that the sword Nexus Prime gives Optimus Prime for the final battle is supposed to be the Star Saber, paying off THE ENTIRE BASIC PLOT OF THE BOOK, except they spend those few chapters calling it the "Cyber Caliber", before breaking it into pieces like the Star Saber and Alpha Trion saying Nexus Prime holds the Star Saber... >_<
    ) and in the last quarter, MacGuffins just started raining out of the sky. Also, Velocitron always seems destined to drag down whatever fiction it appears in, as it's just an inescapably stupid idea. There was some good in there - I really enjoyed the "Aligned" portrayal of Wreck-Gar and Junkion - but on the whole, the book really read like it didn't have an editor.

6. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I haven't heard anyone say Exiles was better. Have they really been saying that?

7. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought Exodus was good, I haven't read the second one yet.

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I enjoyed Exodus, though personel canon is to read the first 8/9 Chapters of Exodus (Or whenever the War breaks out proper, not just the first skirmishes) and then play WFC on the DS after that as the "real" story.

I have not even seen Exiles, though I hope to get it for Christmas or the like.

9. Thundercrackers

Thundercrackers Cybertonian Scholar

I personally love Exiles and Exodus, and how they take everything cool from all of the continuities that have come before it. Hasbro has finally moved to create a single, cohesive continuity for TF to follow, instead of creating a new universe for fans to become emotionally invested in every few years, then dumping it. Irvine may have skipped on the details in some places, but I felt he created a nicely flowing back story for the entire franchise.

I liked the little details, like tying Blurr's speediness into being from velocitron. And making the Cassettes into minicons. We get a universe that is basically G1 meets movie, with the best bits from the unicron trilogy and animated being added to spice things up. I'm a little sad Irvine isn't writing novel three. The only thing I didn't like about the first book was the lack of female characters.

10. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, thats what I think. I love the concept of having a continuity including all the lore over the past 25+ years.

Will there be a 3rd book?

11. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I agree with this man especially on the Star sabre "plot". Whoever suggested the third novel should have a new writer deserves a raise, hope the book gets a decent editor too before more char-acters and words get hyphen-ated by mistake like Mega-tron..

12. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    Im a fan of the books, the writing isn't the greatest, but I do enjoy them. I have Both and Im a few chapters into Exiles. With this now being considered as the official canon, I wish they would have had a more consistent writer.

13. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    I enjoyed both but would agree with the Velocitron ordeal, it did go on far too long and the whole
    Star Sabre, Cyber Caliber
    bit was convoluted for sure. Just wish the writer had spent more time on the lives of the Primes and/or 13. That's what would have made Exiles much more interesting, them and their relationship with and thru Optimus.

14. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    To be fair, I think those are more of a formatting issue, like, they were supposed to be line-breaks that got lost in the shuffle.

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Surely that's the editors job to catch? Either way, someone dropped the ball. You could tell the whole thing was a rush job because most of these sorts of errors became more prevalent in the final quarter of the book.

16. Thundercrackers

Thundercrackers Cybertonian Scholar

I think with the star saber, it's everyone beleveing that Nexus Prime had one sword, while in truth he had another. It's something that would fit the master of puzzles and combinations, I think.

17. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    But Alpha Trion says he has the Star Saber AFTER we've seen the supposed "Cyber Caliber", and he was actually THERE when Nexus Prime split himself up and took the fragments away with him the first time so he'd know what sword he had, AND the idea of the Star Saber being fragmented and watched over by Nexus Prime goes back a few years to Fun Publications' Club comics. Note also that Nexus's personal blade is mistakenly given two names as well - the "Omni Saber" and the "Chaos Edge" - so sword-based goof-ups were running high at that point in the story.

18. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I loved 'em both, but I liked Exiles better. I felt how they handled the "exploring lost Cybertronian civilizations" was very well done.

19. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I had a hard time following the battles in both books. I enjoyed exodus more for giving full backstory to the prime/Megs relationship. However I found the idea of exploring Cybertronian colonies pretty interesting-- each colony was focused on only one thing. Things actually got less interesting for me when the Decepticons arrived.
    I do agree too many ancient artifacts were thrown around, but such name dropping was present in the first book too. Looking forward to hearing more about the 13 and the Quints. Next up for colonies: planet master?
    I also gotta do a wiki search for info on that pirate captain.