Transformers Exhibit at University of South Florida

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by FatalT 71, Apr 25, 2011.

1. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    A friend of mine sent me the link below - a Transformers Exhibit at the University of South Florida, on display from April 16 - May 19. Florida folks may be interested enough to take a drive and check it out. The page has some links to pictures of the displays and other interesting stuff about the exhibit. Enjoy!

Transformers

2. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I admire them for doing an exhibit about TFs but this could have been done much, much better. Minus two shelves of common G1 and G2 toys, everything is Beast Wars on - so I'm not sure how they have the "rarities" that they claim.

For what it is, it works but it's just not done well.

3. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Florida peeps- maybe we can do a group meet-up to come check this out? Look for more in the meet-up thread.

4. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Don't flatter yourself Omeg, nobody wants to hang with you - lol.

*Forever Alone*

5. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    The toys in the tabletop display case amuse me. With the nametags it looks like my high school bug collection project. XD

6. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Obviously the rarity is that MISB Battle for Autobot City set....

7. fisch

fisch In a room...WITH A MOOSE!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    AWESOME!!!! Yay for transformers at my Alma Mater. I might stop by to check it out when I visit my parents.

8. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    i hope nobody is getting paid for this. ive seen better personal collections.

9. dharmacon

dharmacon More Than Meets The Isle

News Credits:
    So it’s probably a good time for me to step out from behind the shadows…

I was the one who built this exhibit.

First of all, to anyone considering taking a drive to see it, please be aware that it is at the USF St. Petersburg campus – NOT the Tampa campus. (Can the “tampa” tag be changed/deleted?)

For over a month now, I’ve wrestled with the idea of starting a thread like this one in order to give the exhibit some free publicity. And I think the reason that I never did was because, well, I knew that it would garner mixed reactions from the members here.

I’m not going to apologize for my collection or my exhibit that took me a very long time to prepare for, but I would like to take a moment to put it into perspective… This exhibit was designed to appeal to the general population—not just the diehards. As such, it needed to include a lot of things that the hardcore fans already have and/or are long familiar with. I’m no idiot: if this were Botcon, I know damn well that this exhibit wouldn’t be terribly exciting. But to the casual observers and passersby in the library, this exhibit has been a resounding success: the school paper decided to do a story about it, a preschool class is making a trip to the library this week to see it, and the professors in the department have been heaping praise on me for a job well done on creating something with a multi-generational audience.

So yes, we can all recite the dozen or so reissues of G1 Optimus Prime, but there are many people out there who probably haven’t laid eyes on a G1 Prime in a very long time because they haven’t been into Transformers in a very long time. If this exhibit allows someone who gave up on TFs in 1990 the chance to relive his/her childhood AND see what the brand has been up to since… then my job is done. Likewise, when the preschool class shows up and sees all of the toys that preceded Animated and the movies, I hope they’re excited by this vast selection of figures that are older than they are. Maybe they’ll go home and ask their parents about them…

Everyone has their own definition of the word “rarity”. Because we’re the ones that go to Botcon each year, it probably won’t thrill anyone here to say that there are a handful of Botcon exclusives in this exhibit… but when a member of the general population sees that there’s a figure in the case that says that it’s a convention exclusive, they’re going to be impressed and feel that they’re in the presence of something rare—because they are in the presence of something rare.

Incidentally, there are a few things in the exhibit that I do think are befitting of being called rare (or at least “middle-of-the-road” rare) by collectors standards. This includes the aforementioned Botcon exclusives, a Diaclone Starscream in very good shape, the TFCC Seacons, TFCC Punch/Counterpunch, Hybrid Style Black Convoy, BW X-9 Ravage, e-Hobby Detritus, a MIB TF Jr. 3-pack, a MISB Ultra Magnus vs. Skywarp, a MOSC Antex Windcharger (hell, I’ll even lump Generations Scourge into this since a lot of people still can’t find him). I have an unused promotional bumper sticker for TF:TM in the exhibit that I’ve owned since 1986, and when I created a thread about it a few months ago, no one posted that they had one or could even remember having seen one. I’d like to think that we can all agree that that’s a rare item.

If you’re spending a day in St. Petersburg, there’s worse ways you could spend an afternoon than hitting the St. Pete Pier, checking out the brand new Salvador Dali Museum (a MUST if you haven’t seen it yet, and it’s FREE for USF students!), then taking a drive around the corner to see the TF exhibit.

Oh, and I’d like to send a special shout-out to fisch… those Micromasters you sold me are in the exhibit! Thanks again, and I hope you get to make it out to see it.

10. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude if i lived in or near florida i would love to see that. Thats an awesome idea and im glad it turned out to be an success for you. Congrats!

11. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    It's a great idea! I would love to see a Transformers exhibit if there is one in my area.

12. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

If I still lived down there I'd totally come check it out.

13. It Is Him

It Is Him Well-Known Member

I'm making plans with my better half to visit the exhibit as we speak. Sounds like fun.

14. dharmacon

dharmacon More Than Meets The Isle

News Credits:

I appreciate the encouraging words, guys. Thank you!

Awesome! Hope you guys enjoy it.

15. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Good old Beer Hall University!

16. Jason Blue Boost

Jason Blue Boost Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Going to my grandparents condo in Rendington Beach in July. Too bad the display won't still be there. I'd definitely check it out. Thanks for the pics, nice variety!

17. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    Oh Man, I want to go, but Its 3 hrs 1 way.
    Very nice of you to set up dharmacon, must have taken a long time and a lot of effort. Well I wish your exhibit more luck, and I hate that people bash an exhibit. Sure they may have things considered super rare, but do they spend the time to make an exhibit. Sure as hell not.

18. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Ah, you're responsible for making that happen? Pretty cool. Good show.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Pretty cool. You've got good samples and descriptors from all eras. This is one of the better TF exhibits I've seen.

20. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is Ed from robotjapan.com going to be there. I wish i was going to be there in time, I couldve contributed with the so called "rarities". And if Ed is involved, then there will be no problem with "rarities".