Transformers Evolution

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OptimusAutobot, Jan 17, 2007.

1. OptimusAutobot

OptimusAutobot Banned

I just wanted to start this thread to call out all of the pissing and moaning about the upcoming TF movie.

I think that the action sequences that we've seen so far are some of the best I've ever seen. The scary part is what we've seen so far is just the tip of the iceberg.

The CGI designs for the characters are outstanding as well. They are some of the most dynamic, original TF designs we've seen to date.

What made me start this thread was the recent toy prototype designs that came out. I think both the Megatron and the 2 Prime protos are unbelieveable.

I started out as skeptical about the movie toys and those designs make me want to run out and buy them up as soon as they come out.

The thing that gets to me is all of the complaining on here about how the toys look like crap, the character designs are flawed and just plain ugly, and how the movie stinks and is gonna bomb.

To me, the TF's franchise has to evolve. It has to move on and become something bigger and more mainstream. I know we all want the movie to be "G1 like" so that we can relive our childhoods but that would just be cheesy and wouldn't work.

With this movie and all of the toys that are coming out the TF franchise has officially evolved into something bigger. It's no longer this taboo darkhorse that only a handful of people enjoy.

I know it's hard to move on. But, we officially have. Change isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What do you guys think? Do you agree? Disagree? Explain in detail why you like or dislike the new movie and toy designs. THANKS!! PEACE OUT!!

2. UTK007

UTK007 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess I don't read the boards as much as I should. I thought most people were excited about the movie for what it is-- a live action movie with its own continuity that will generate more Transformers fans.

3. OptimusAutobot

OptimusAutobot Banned

Don't get me wrong. There is ALOT of people who are for the movie and the upcoming toyline. But, to me there is still far too many people who are against it.

4. Emerald Twilight

Emerald Twilight Banned

While I agree that evolution is good and the movie looks awesome, topics like this are bad. You're going to start a flame-war with all of the whiners.

I wish we could avoid making topics like this, because honestly...the less outlets for these crybabies to "voice" their complaints, the better.

5. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    We could always talk about the massive let-down of Transformers: Evolution, the comic book. It's a pity, because Hearts of Steel started off so well, too.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I think we have two forums devoted to this, right below this one.

7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Indeed we do. And now this thread will be in them.

8. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A thread of this nature is already treading on thin ice with this:

I feel the need to preempt any ill tempered discussion by stating that everyone needs to remain civil and keep the topic focus on:

To summarize, play nice.

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
  10. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    My only concern is the toys will end up looking really weak after watching the film.

11. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Here's the problem...

You seem to be a bit too focused on changing the opinions of those you don't agree with. Honestly, I'm tired of trying to explain my opinions to others only to be told I don't have the right to have them. This goes for both supporters and detractors who take it upon themselves to tell everyone that they 'don't get it', or that 'they need to evolve'. Frankly, why is it so offensive for somebody to feel differently than you?

Honestly, I don't notice much difference between fanatical 'supporters' and fanatical 'haters'. Both seem more intent on forcing their opinions down the throats of others, rather than accepting that everybody has the right to their own opinion, REGARDLESS of the reasoning for it.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Cue thunderous applause.

13. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

No, change is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is not necessarily good either.

There are some people who simply are ignorant of the way film works. I remember having a debate on another forum with a guy who thought X2 should be a direct retelling of Giant Size XMen #1. These sorts of people are just hopeless and cannot be reasoned with.

Then there are those who are open to change, but want it kept minimal, especially for properties they are devoted to. I think, in the end, they can come around if the final product is well made. See the Xfans who originally moaned about the lack of spandex, Spidey fans who protested web shooters, or Trek fans who said Kirk could be the only captain. OTOH these fans will take (rightly or wrongly) a film's failure as proof that drifting from the source was a mistake. See Godzilla, Dredd and Hulk fans.

Then there is a third category - those who like the original, but are very open to change, even radical change. However, like everyone else we'll have individual tastes. Some will love them, some hate them, and there'll be no shortage of opinions in between.

In the end, I think the "hate them 'cause they're different" crowd and the "love them 'cause they're new" are equally lacking in critical judgement. Just accept the differences and move on.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I'm loving everything that we've seen so far, and I'm pretty sure that I'll love the end product. I'm saving my final judment for the day I see the movie. I also think that G1 sucks, but that is only my opinion, and I'm in the miniority on that, and could possibly be the only one on here that does. If anything is going to stay around any longer, it needs to change, to evolve, to meet the new standards for it. I have no problem with people expressing ther opinion on here, not matter what that may be, but it does bother me if and when someone says that my opinion is completely wrong. I'm glad that this hasn't happened to me yet. I also think that there would be less flaming at each other if there wasn't a Forum for disscusion about the movie, but that's just my opinion. Peace out.

15. OptimusAutobot

OptimusAutobot Banned

I want to apologize to everyone about the first line of my original post. I did some thinking and it IS definitely everyone's right to have their own opinion.

What better way to express your opinion than a message board right? Even if people may disagree with it.

I think the reason people who love the movie/toys get so fired up with the naysayers is that they are percieved to be bashing something that they care about.

Also, why bash something that we know so little about so far right? What we know about the movie is what was read in the script, (everyone knows that something read could easily get taken out of context.) a couple of short trailers, some prototype toys, and some CGI images.

Why not pass bad judgement when we know and see more of the finished product?

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    A lot of folks predetermine whether or not to spend money on a film based on leaked images, trailers and CGI images. You can't fault them for that; it's a logical extension of being a consumer.

Now, as I've said before, I think it's impossible to come up with an astute judgment of the actual film itself until you've seen it. Saying "this film sucks" would be hard to base in reality, as none of the regular participators in this fandom have seen the film in its enirety yet.

Still, judging the content and material leaked to us so far allows us, as Transformers fans, to decide whether or not we want to spend money on the film and any other merchandise. We care more about the Transformers paraphanelia than anyone else in the internet nerd community, so it only makes sense that the leaked images show up on Transformer-related message boards first.

We judge, we decide, we argue, we naysay, we love. Either way, we - as a fandom in whole - will pass judgments based on personal opinion. If they're bad, they're bad. If they're good, they're good. And who cares which way the opinion sways, aside from the marketing departments of Hasbro, Paramount and Dreamworks?

17. optimus_prime_rules_007

optimus_prime_rules_007 Banned

Speaking about flaming...

18. OptimusAutobot

OptimusAutobot Banned

You are absolutely right....you have a right to your opinion. I agree with everything in your post.

Except for the last line. Let's see if I can explain it so it makes sense.

It's like being a die-hard fan of a certain sports team. When you're a die-hard fan you love your team no matter what they do, how many games they win, what players they sign or don't sign. Even if it means drastic changes to the overall look of the team. You'll stand by them no matter what.

Now, if someone comes in and says: "Your team sucks....I don't like them.......they're going to be terrible." It gets you a little fired up. You want to speak up and protect your team as a die hard fan would.

Some TF fans are the same way (myself included.) They're TF fans till the end. No matter where the franchise goes they'll love it. (or learn to.) Even if it means drastic changes to the characters or storyline. They'll stand by TF's no matter what.

When someone comes in and says: "The new toys look terrible....the movie designs and storyline suck.....The CGI images are crap." It gets them fired up. They want to defend what they care about. It's human nature.

I started this thread to try and point out that change isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just inevitable.

19. optimus_prime_rules_007

optimus_prime_rules_007 Banned

Let's look at things this way.

First of all, anyone who has seen the designs, read the script, seen the models of the toys has EVERY RIGHT to form an opinion about whether or not they like or dislike about the movie.

You do not need to "see" anything else. Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg have solid reputations you can base an opinion on.

I hate Michael Bay's work. He has, in my opinion, no business making movies. Then there's the script... God, where does one even begin when pointing out all the flaws in that mediocre story. Then there's the toy designs. Sure some of you may like them, some of us hate them. Some of us like our G1-brick styled, multi-coloured toys, DEAL WITH IT!

We all have the right to form an opinion, express it, and if need be ignore the opinions of others. There is no right or wrong when it comes to opinions. There is no need to convince someone to like or dislike something. You like it, fine, be quiet already. Some of us are as sick of hearing you praise it as much as you are sick of us saying it's gonna suck.

To be honest, these types of topics should just stay off the boards, it is obvious the two opposing sides are never going to agree so why the need to discuss it every other thread????

20. OptimusAutobot

OptimusAutobot Banned

No one is saying you don't have a right to your opinion. You absolutely DO have a right to your opinion.

I wanted this thread to become an outlet for intelligent conversation on why you like or dislike the movie and toy designs.

Again I apologize for the first line in my initial post about "calling people out".

You chose to vent your frustrations in your post which is again your right. You have a right to post whatever the hell you want....it's your opinion. The only ones who can decide otherwise are the Mods.

But, in MY opinion you still haven't given a concrete, valid reason why you continue to judge a book by it's cover rather than really getting inside and seeing more than what's on the surface.