Transformers: Escalation #6 Preview Available

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Superquad7, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  2. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Hmm. (This is not a flame)...I hated Infiltration, but through Stormbringer and Escalation, the IDW series is really warming up to me. I won't say I like it as much as the old stuff, but I'm definitely finding myself becoming a repeat customer. :) 

I wish these guys put up higher-res preview pictures! How am I supposed to get excited by a sneak peak if I can't *read* the sneak peak.

Anywhoo. I look forward to reading this one.

3. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Personally, I'm really loving the Infiltration/Escalation storyarc. The art is solid and the writing is solid. It's also a breath of fresh air compared to some of the previous TF comics.

In regards to the "sneak peaks," it looks like you'll have to buy the books to read em! :lol  They're enough of a snipet to get someone a small taste of what's in store :) 

4. Dragonwolf

Dragonwolf dragon-bot

News Credits:
    i cant wait now!!

so i wonder whats up with prime????????
    is he about to download to another body or offline just to repair enouph to take out mega??

has for hardhead i am really starting to like his style, shoot first think later

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    That is some serious damage on Prime.
    I like the way EJ draws the twisted metal and avoids the "stress fracture" lines that a lot of the other artists use.

I am all for detail in the drawings, but sometimes the Transformers are drawn with so many fracture lines and chips taken out of them they look more like they are made out of stone than metal.

6. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Looks great!

Can't wait to get my copy.

-airfox

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    This what I mean by "twisted metal".
    [​IMG]

Notice that there are no arbitrary lines drawn to show distress.
    His art is further enhanced by the coloring. If there is a "stress line" it is colored slightly different on both sides like light is refracting at different angles.
    This actually looks like bent metal -specifically the piece on the top of his chest that has broken off and has matching frame damage underneath.

Now (different character -sorry) notice the random lines and arbitrary "chips" missing on Megatron's shoulder. It makes him look like he is made of concrete to me.
    [​IMG]

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I think you see EJ placing in the stress marks in his illustrations as well, though he is more precisely illustrating the physicality of bent metal as you demonstrated. What I like about how he essentially uses some of the same marks in his illustrations is that they appear to be more scratches than cracks in the concrete. It's reasons like these that I love EJ's work so well; it's very noticable that he's done studies of metal manipulated by environments and other agents.

9. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Man, those laser and explosion effects on the blue cover are terrible. They look like the ones I did on the TFW comic, and that isn't a compliment. Seriously, they should just ban "round Photoshop brush" from comics in general. And the clouds have got to be "rough ink texture."

I hate when I can literally see the unfinishedness of pieces like this. I mean theres Ashley wood and then theres "lol, photoshop"

10. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

When it comes out ?!?!
    I need a date people!!!!!!!

11. soundblastc44

soundblastc44 CAPS MASTER...OH YEAH

I cant wait for this issue to come out

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Most likely next week.

13. Somebody

Somebody ReBoot

News Credits:
    Not our problem :p 

14. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Thank you :thumb 

ha ha :redface2: 

15. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Interesting how they've stopped Hot Rod from being near Prime's body while in its current state - I guess they wanted to avoid the whole 'Here, take the Matrix, I won't be using it for a while...' thing for now.

Unless, of course, the Matrix reaches out to Roddy while he's back in orbit.

Gary

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I take it you aren't a fan of Ashely Wood's work? :inquisiti 

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

After the events of issue #5 it seemed like issue #6 was never going to get here so it's nice to know the wait is almost over.

Since the five page preview didn't cover it I guess we don't find out if Skywarp's reinforcements are who we are expecting or we get thrown a curve.

While I didn't like the comic book all that much when things were too slow and there were not enough Transformers in it I'm glad I stuck it out because they have really brought back the reasons to read a comic book anymore.

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like Thundercracker is Skywarp's reinforcements. (He's on the cover)

I'd also like to talk about EJ Su's art a bit. Let's keep in mind that I hated "Infiltration," but I still enjoyed EJ's art. It's different from Dreamwave's damn marshmallowformers, and it's got a lot of neat detail. It's obvious he's had a background in mechanical design of some sort. After seeing so many artists draw Shockwave and Grimlock like they're made out of balloons, I really liked EJ's art from day 1 even if I hated the story it was in.

I might not agree with some of his designs (I don't like how Prowl just has 1/2 a car on his back...I don't really like Starscream/Skywarp/Thundercracker's robot modes...), but it's obvious to me that EJ knows what he's doing.

So yeah. I'm a fan of his art. I've liked it from the first issue of "Infiltration," despite hating the book with a passion.

Anywhoo. I look forward to issue 6. Like I said before, it's slowly been earning its way into my regular monthly readings.

May I ask exactly what people dislike about EJ's art? I mean, I sympathise if you disagree with some of his design choices, but his talent is (in my opinion) not one of the "cons" of the pro/con debate for IDW's handling of TF.

19. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

While i thought INFILTRATION was a waste of trees, ESCALATION has certainly improved upon it. It isn't my ideal TF story in print, but then with Furman writing I don't think I'll ever get that. The art is nice, though I am getting a bit bored with Transformers being so utterly mangled by a single blast or one melee battle, and as for shadowy organisations bent on controlling TF's .... *sigh* Not very original in comics, Mr. Furman!

I do hate the mini-series structure though - Each mini-series will basically be a crescendo, with individual isues not being satisfying in themselves.

20. useless

useless Completely Unreasonable TFW2005 Supporter

I do like the art a lot, and unlike Infiltration it certainly doesn't want for action.

But You know which TF cliche I'm sick of? The one where Megatron/Shockwave/Galavatron/Thunderwing/Decepticon leader of the day is facing multiple Autobots and becuase Prime/Magnus/Rodimus/Autobot Leader of the day isn't one of them, is apparently in no danger at all.

Here Megatron is facing 4 skilled, motivated, powerful autobots (OK Jazz, Wheeljack and Prowl aren't massive powerhouses, but they're not weaklings either, and Hardhead IS a powerhouse, going by his stats) OK none of them is quite as powerful as Prime (and again Hardhead very nearly is), but with them working together he should still be in more danger. not less, yet he's acting like between them they are nothing like the threat prime was.

But from the look of it thats not how this issue is going to turn ouit, it looks like its yet another "Prime pulls a last minute (and never referenced before or since) trick out of his rear torso storage cavity, and saves the day for his ineffective followers AGAIN" story.