Transformers DVD Commentary

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by BlackTrailerOps, Oct 16, 2007.

1. BlackTrailerOps

BlackTrailerOps Motor Boatin S.O.B.

Wow, I've never listed to a director that I didn't like the commentary until now. Really a lot of pointless information, and Micheal Bay loving on Micheal Bay. I really thought it was great when Bay calls himself "a true Transformers fan" because he thought about robots and didn't listen to Transformers fans who've liked the show since G1. Wow, been conceited much?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    he listened when it counted, and that was with peter cullen (he even thanks us for that). had he made the movie based only on what the fans wanted, it wouldnt have been the huge success it is. he states his reasons for doing the movie his way in the commentary, and they're perfectly valid.

Anyone who likes transformers is a "true fan". bay likes transformers now. he's a true fan. try defining the term "true fan" beyond "liking transformers" and be prepared to be torn apart by the other people on the forum.

3. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry man but I have to disagree.

He even showed humility in it. I particularly liked when he gave his reasons for not using Frank Welker. He felt it was too cartoony (which it is) AND, the important part, he couldn't bring himself to ask Frank to change it. He knows Frank could change it, probably could have done the voice without filters, but asking him to change such an iconic character was wrong. At least that was the impression I got.

The only "full of himself" vibe I got was when he was talking about how he was motivating his crew or discussing Die Hard but never in a way that would have made me not like him. He says, in the commentary, that he is a teaser.

The only possibly insulting thing to ANYONE was when he commented on the fans who protested out of the office he hasn't been in for two years. I have to agree that it was pretty damn stupid. Hell, it was a bit silly to protest but to not really have your stuff together...sad.

It wasn't the most entertaining commentary, I usually don't like solo commentaries because...well they will talk about themselves and what they did, they can't tell you what other's did. I LOVE cast commentaries. Usually quite funny and you feel part of a group, especially if there was good chemistry with the actors.

4. BlackTrailerOps

I still don't all like the choices he made and even after he gave his reasoning, and I didn't think the reasoning was valid. It's an opinion thing really.

I'm not trying to imply I'm more of a "true fan" than Bay, but from the tone in which he said it and the contextual statements around it made it sound like he was saying that the people that disagree with his choices are less of a "true fan" then he is.

5. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

ah forget it, bays bay, what are you going to do

6. BlackTrailerOps

I agree that it was cool that he didn't ask Frank to change the voice. I still like the voice even if it is cartoony. The Weaving voice was too generic to me, just a loud low growling voice that many could replicate.

A lot of things he says are very "full of himself" in their undertones, but not openly like "Look at me, I'm the greatest." Its quite evident that he considers the majority of what was right about the movie and things the fans enjoy to be because of him. Thats just what I take from his tone.

When he said that when he gets on set he's all business, I was like "Dang, I'd hate to have to work on the set of one of your movies." All work and no play, makes a job suck even if it is acting in a Transformer movie.

Cast commentaries are the greatest, I love the ones on the Smallville Season 2 DVDs.

7. BlackTrailerOps

Yeah I guess thats what it really boils down to. I just hate his 2 act formula to action movies, it gets kind of boring to me.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    so you'll ignore the part where his crew threw plastic megaphones at him as a joke, and where josh duhamel got to go for a ride in a jet, and even help pilot the thing? or where everyone was cracking up during shia's improv lines? yeah. that stuff's no fun at all.

9. Lennox

Lennox Wooo.

News Credits:
    Oh YES. The commentary for "Red" is awesome.

10. BlackTrailerOps

Other then shia's improv lines, I don't remember Bay talking about any of those things in the commentary. And when he mentioned the improv lines, he sounded more like a slight annoyance to him (that Megan couldn't be in the shots because she was laughing) rather then something that he enjoyed.

11. BlackTrailerOps

I loved the impressions Tom and Micheal were doing. "When I'm doin' a scene, I'm talkin to you, but I'm thinkin about a taco"

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    watch the extras disk. you'll see that they actually had a lot of fun on the set.

13. BlackTrailerOps

I got a little burned out with the behind the scenes stuff after the commentary, so I'm currently watching the movie. I'll probably check out those other things tomorrow or something.

14. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thought Bay rambled on on certain subjects too long sometimes, and there were a few dead spots, but it was far from the worst commentary ever. It was more interesting than the ones where a director is just going over what lens they used for each shot and all that, and it wasn't just pure nonsense that had nothing to do with anything, not too many dead spots but a few - it was a happy medium, acceptable IMO

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    yeah, I actually got to learn things about the movie. it was fun. I liked it.

16. BlackTrailerOps

I found it comically at how many little things he stuck in here or there because he thought is was funny. Oddly though, despite loving comedy, I found a lot of those things to be over the top and a little annoying. Making the movie kinda hokey as a lot of people describe G1 as, which I agree with. Slapstick comedy isn't exactly something that fits perfectly in with an action movie, IMO. Now on the other hand, over-the-top comedy, like in the movie Shoot 'Em Up, can be very funny if used correctly like in Shoot 'Em Up.

I didn't really learn much from it, because a lot of the things he talked about doing are kinda like film no-no's, IMO. Like writing a specific part of the story around one particular shot. I think it makes for a weaker story, which I though was a problem with Transformers. I thought it was a good start for a story, but needing a lot more polishing to become a great story which I think Transformers is deserving of.

17. Godzilla2

Godzilla2 Well-Known Member

Im sure it wasn't horrible. But that being said its not worth getting the 2-disc set? I only have the one disc set.

18. BlackTrailerOps

Eh? Thats a tough question, I guess its worth it. I haven't explored everything just yet, but I wasn't overly impressed by the selection of extras on the second disk. But I'm sure they're worth watching.

19. DavAnthony

DavAnthony Well-Known Member

I've actually never heard Bay speak for more then the few quick Entertainment Tonight soundbyte second type-garbage.

Does he have that "hollywood" thing going on a bit. Yeah without a doubt but having deal with some of those bags of douche he isn't that bad. The guy has an ego and admits to when he did something he liked but was also humble at other times.

What was interesting to me was how he admitted to not really getting it at first and after he got to know the characters and what they are about they began to grow on him.

All in all I didn't find him bad at all. I remember in the Godfather DVD commentarires Coppola spends about 5 minutes giving you a recipe for spagheti sauce and sausage. Good recipe but not when I want to hear about the movie and what went into making the scene.

20. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is it just me, or is he gloating about the flames? That rib cage comment is such BS. Furthermore, Liam Nieson? Is he out of his mind? Obiwan? Hells no!! Funny he had Michael J. Fox for BB in mind. Seems many fans, including myself, felt the same. Where did Mark Ryan come from?