Transformers Durability

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Anybody have any ideas how many times a particular figure can be transformed before it falls apart? Kind of like a stress-test list?
    Does ANYBODY know, or is this like the tootsie-pop question?

2. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    I vote for "Tootsie-pop"! :D 
    Whatever the heck that means....:lol :

3. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends on the figure. Some TFs go back and forth any number of times with no problem (Classics Bumblebee) and others have issues right off the bat (MP Megs).

I will say from experience; G2 Laser Prime's lower legs have a locking tab that keeps them extended and one of them broke off almost right away so now he either has to stand with his knees bent or his legs locked together.

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know? my old BW stuff still has tight joints and I must transform BW Megatron at least a couple of times ever week. I love that Megatron yyeeesss

5. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    MP Megatron? One.

6. Tigertrack

It would be kind of a fun job to work at a toy-manufacturing plant and do stress-tests on these things! :D 

I keep my MP Megatron in bot mode!

7. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    All depends on the toy and the era. Today's toys are likely to get a lot more transformations out of them than say a 1985 G1 toy where the only articulation was due to transformation. And if you pushed something too far the plastic gave way.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Mine is fine, and it's been transformed a LOT more than once. Either it varies or there are some massively ham fisted MP Megatron owners out there.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I transform mine all the time.

10. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "Research shows 99% of Transformers are highly likely to be damaged beyond repair when stricken by the object known as a "hammer"."

11. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Ham Fisted :lol 

12. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Despite being initially worried, I've come to realize that most Transformers do last a good long time, especially if you no the tricks of Future Floor and other stuff. Leaders especially will last very long due to their ratcheting joints.

13. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would like to add that due to excessive posing with weapons/switching weapons between hands, Bludgeon's left thumb has broken off.

Interestingly enough, he can still hold either of his weapons and do the "Earthly agents o' divine punishment" pose.

14. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Is that possible? I find Bludgeon's thumbs to be quite tough, or maybe because I haven't played it that much yet. Animated Arcee's on the other hand...

15. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well his right hand's fine with no stress marks. The left one just...lost its thumb one day.

And ditto on Arcee. I don't even try to fit those energon blades into her hands anymore.

Now on the flip side; she holds MP Grimlock's sword quite well a la Berserk.

16. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I too got a bit freaked by Arcee so I don't pose her with swords anymore (she's now a fist-slamming Tiger Kung-Fu master!).

So I guess some toys have a few quality control issues here and there...but thankfully not most of them.

17. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I have a Cassette Man from 1983.

It is worn out, the joints are very loose but, the tape door still works and he still stands. After 25 years he's still awesome. I still play with him.

That said I've found the ball and socket joints on deluxe tfs on rare occasions develop stress marks or cracks in the sockets after long times.

18. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    This is a serious daunting question. But ultimately it all comes down to use. Every thing on the planet wears out... because its used. Water probably is the most unbreakable thing we have. The drinkable amounts are finite. And are recycled forever through the water cycle.

You could get really depressed thinking of your transformer collectibles breaking and specific parts decaying.

The best thing to do is take collectors who have worn RID toys for nearly 10 years as a sign modern lines have a good amount of life in them, as those toys use ball joints and are a close comparison to the engineering used today. Slow the destructive Cycle. Preservation is at least a part of why we collect.

Until Then. Courage.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Depends which bit it is. I got ROTF Scattorshot today and his thin pin joints at the elbows concern me. But then I'll probably take extra care with those so they'll actually last longer than 'normal' use.

20. Tigertrack

I'm amazed at some of the Jetfires. After 25 years most are still in mint condition, and that has me thinking how many of them have been transformed dozens of times. It was also made very properly with good tight ratcheting joints.
    The only issue I have with my Jetfire is in jet mode, the rudders are loose. I've heard about using finger nail polish, which I keep forgetting to get at the grocery store. But I've been looking at the toy, and figuring out how the hell do I apply the fingernail polish? Do I need to disassemble the tail-piece to get to the hinges?
    Point is, it's amazing how many Jetfires ares till mint condition after 25 years of unknown use.