Transformers DS: Why it's the best one...(Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shotoman, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Shotoman

Shotoman Well-Known Member

Okay...I am just as hardcore--if not more so--a gamer as I am a TransFan, so the I leaped at the chance for the games. First came the PSP--which I got because of the increased Trasnformer count. Bad move. HATE that one. It controls SOOOO poorly...

Then came the PS2 version (Don't yet have a current gen system, myself). I personally really enjoy it, and it is a worthy addition to both my Transformers collection and my video game collection.

HOWEVER, the version(s) that really rocks hard, surprisingly enough, is the DS pair. Both versions. I picked them up because of the whole be-a-grunt-scan-20-different-forms mechanic. That just seemed too cool for words. And it is. It adds a lot to the play value. Plus the fact that, although the forms themselves are about 75% the same in both versions with a few bonuses, the games are both totally different, with different missions asigned in each one. It actually does feel like two different games, for the most part. But here's the real reason these games are the best. They are the ones that most faithfully capture the soul of Transformers. The reason so many of us have stuck with these characters and mythologies as long as we have.

First of all, there's the voicework. This game has more voice acting than the home systems! Every story point comes with a fully-voiced completely in-character conversation between the 'bots. And while Prime (and presumably Megs. Haven't quite reached that far, yet) is the only G1 voice provided, every Transformer gives a performance that rings true as a Transformer. Even the drones will yell out about beating the 'Autobytes' or 'Decepticreeps' depending on the version played. Truely the voicework adds much to the experience. Oh, and Bumblebee's usage of a radio for comunication actually is more clever and in-character than I would have pictured...

Secondly, lastly, and most importantly...all the dynamics you'd expect to see in the Transformers factions are faithfully represented here. The main Autobot clearly is part of the same archetype as HotRod and HotShot (so much so that I named him HotShot.) Eager for action and desparate to prove his worth, this leads to him making a big mistake...in the game it's basically his fault that Sector 7 catpured Bumblebee. The main 'Con is, basically Starscream's pet, hand trained by the little weasel. The other 'Cons, who trust 'Screamer about as far as they can kick 'im, are openly hostile to him over this fact. I mean, more openly hostile than they naturally are with each other :)  And each and every character is just so...Transformer-y that I've literally burst out laughing with glee multiple times.

Let's demonstrate with a scene from each game. In 'Autobots,' after the main character perfomrs above noted blunder which gets 'Bee captured, Prime forgoes a rescue attempt in favor of recovering the AllSpark before the Decepticons can get it. This leads Ironhide to blow up at his face...basically accusing Prime of caring more for the humans than his own troops. After the next mission, which involves Jazz hacking S7's computer network, and only gleaning that 'Bee is in the facility as well, Prime decides that Bumblebee's tracking skills would be neccesary to find the AllSpark and thus changes his plan to that of a rescue. Ironhide then tries an awkward apology to which Prime simply responds, "We have been through too much together for an apology to be necessary, old friend." (Or something to that effect.) I mean, complete and total Prime. And after the other 'bots leave, Prime pulls Jazz aside and comments on how...fortunate...it was that the only thing he could discover was that Bumblebee was there.

Pure Autobot gold. Plain and simple.

And the Decepticons? Well at one point, that game's Rookie asks Barricade point-blank why he thinks Megatron is so much better a leader than Starscream. His response? "With Megatron you know where you stand. Starscream's the sort that would kill you in your sleep. Megatron, at least, has the ball bearings to do it to you face." And a mission or so later, after the location of both Megatron and the Allspark has been determined, Starscream plots with the Rookie to do just as Barricade implies. That is to say, take the Allspark for himself and kill Megatron while he's still frozen and in stasis--to the complete shock and awe of this poor little Rookie. I just know the movie won't feature that kind of 'Screamer/'Megs plotting, even if there is some reference to their history...

There are but two problems with the game...first, it's artifically difficult, meaning that at times the difficulty is high for no other reason than the enemies respawn so fast, and second, no Bonecrusher to be found at all. Poor guy seems to have gotten the shaft when it comes to videogames. No wonder he's so hateful :) 

And so, in closing, I think that all Transfans with a Nintendo DS owe it to themselves to get these games. If you can only afford one at first, go with the group with your favorite characters. But be sure to get the other one at some point in time. Thank you. Have a nice night. Ending rant now.

2. Ritesh_Prime

Ritesh_Prime THE PHIL!

News Credits:
    Bonecrusher is in the Console Games.....

3. Shotoman

Shotoman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. But he's neither playable for the 'Cons, nor his he a boss for the Autobots. He just makes an appearance in a couple of missions.

4. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I know that between the 360 version and the DS version I loved the DS one. The 360 one I am glad I just rented. IT was pretty but the controls were crap.

5. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I love how shiny and pretty the PS3 looks, and it is fun to play. However, the DS did a better job with controls,(especially flying around as Starscream) the DS game alows you to transform while jumping, falling etc. and the scanning of new forms adds a lot of fun. I also like the "battle for the allspark" online game. It is a shame the console versions didn't include some of these simpple things that would have made a much better experiance, oh yeah and the ability to go back and freeroam any level as any character.