Transformers: Drift #3 of 4 Discussion (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Airspeed, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got this Earlier today, i loved it this series keeps getting better and better.

I liked the way we saw more of Dai Atlas, an his feelings about everything.
    Drift realizing that Crystal City is what he always wanted, then his decision to help the Knights rather than lead them into the trap. It was done well.

What a great set up for the conclusion in Issue 4.

Only complaint is, do we get the knights names who go with Drift ?

2. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    This issue shows the turning point for Drift. And it’s interesting that he basically makes the right choice based on selfish reasons. His choice is, on one level, to go along with the aliens and with Lockdown in order to avoid being killed. But on another level, Drift’s choice is between Megatron’s personal choice and approval of him, and the chance to get the kind of life he’s always wanted. He says later on that helping to defend the third faction’s hidden city is simply the right thing to do, but Drift has done a lot of terrible things because he previously believed those were the right thing to do, so "right" doesn't always mean "moral" when it comes to how Drift makes his choices. However, his moral compass is in the process of being realigned here, but it’s not as abrupt and clean-cut a change as it might seem on first glance. He’s taking some steps on the journey to being a more moral individual, but he’s not there yet.

I think it makes sense that he doesn't instantly pivot from treason and murder and violence to trying to help save lives because it's the right thing to do. His motivation at this point is that he doesn't want to lose the potential better life that he sees with the third faction, and possibly friendship with Wing figures into the equation as well. He's moving from doing the wrong things for possibly laudable reasons to doing the right thing for selfish reasons.

It will be interesting to see if Thundercracker’s interaction with Bumblebee and the Autobots in the ongoing series has a similar effect. It’s one thing for Drift to shoot down nameless Autobots from across a battlefield, particularly when they’re shooting back. It’s another to lead an entire city and a friend to the slaughter to save his own neck. Would he have done that earlier, while he was still Turmoil’s second in command? Possibly so, if he thought it would help win the war. It's hard to say. But things have certainly changed. I don't think Wing's approach would work with very many Decepticon characters.

What we’re seeing in this mini-series is something I enjoy quite a bit, and that’s a story of redemption. Drift took a very dark path under Megatron’s leadership, and did some terrible things for what he considered a laudable goal. But now he’s seen that there’s another way and slowly but surely he’s turning aside from what he was.

The art is still a little confusing to me, mainly because so many of the characters look so similar. Everything is well-drawn, but some more distinctive character models would have been helpful. There are a lot of nice touches in the issue, with the inclusion of Lockdown being a particular highlight.

3. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Enjoyed this isssue quite a bit, and the twists I found interesting, maybe New Crystal City won't be destroyed. May post more thoughts later as I just finished it 5 minutes ago.

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    This one was decent, I guess. I dunno, I felt it lacked the good pacing of the others and took too long to get where it needed to-- like it was 1/2 an issue instead of a full one.

5. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    I liked it, can't wait to see how it ends!

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

The art of the unnamed Crystal City Knights, though a little over wrought, does remind me of 1970's vintage Giant robos. (Dynacron, Tranzor-Z, Red Ronin, and Big-O) so it's pretty cool.

There is one in particular (unnammed, so far) that reminds me of Sunstreaker.

It looks to be a pretty good redemption of a charachter so many had written off.

(Though I still think "Deadlock" Should have had a Seeker body)

Oh,,, and it really sucks to be a 4 armed pink dude. *nom nom nom*

7. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I like the series, but there's nothing that really set it above and beyond other TF stories. I'm sort of on the fence, I'll keep reading it, but am not looking forward to seeing the end that much. One problem is that the art seems pretty bland to me.

That being said, there are good points. Lockdown and the Alien Slavers are interesting. I also like the way they've been using flashbacks to give Drift some back story. I guess knowing that Drift is going to make it out of there in the end kind of takes away from the suspense.

Also, I thought Dia Atlas' character was extremely flat. Maybe they'll give the guy some more exposure or even a redemption story in the finale.

8. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont want Wing to die! I know he probably will! but I dont want Wing to Die! hopefully he will be captured by the slavers, that atleast leaves him open to coming back.

9. Afterburn96

Afterburn96 Active Member

Why the Cybertronian that talks to Drift in page 12 looks like a girl?

10. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Hey, yeah, you're right. I'm just so used to female TFs being "just there" in so many other TF continuities, I forgot that in the main IDW TF universe, the only known female is Arcee and she was one of Jhiaxus' experiments.

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Hmm... what can I say about this series?

It's fairly bland, fairly unsurprising... the writing is alright, but it really doesn't seem to be doing anything more than playing out the cliches that Drift already was drenched in, and fleshes out background plot details that would have been more epic and more intriguing if they'd been left... er... unfleshed.

I was hoping McCarthy might have thrown us a curve ball with the Drift origin... really given us something fresh or unexpected. Nope.

Instead we get the same broad tropes, but without any new insight. Why do the Crystal City sect train themselves to be super-ninjas, and then insist on avoiding any involvement in fighting? What is their actual spiritual rationale behind using only bladed implements, rather than guns? They keep all their weapons locked up, but why?

Why does Drift get to be "one of them" before he even proves himself in the upcoming battle? I expect he will wreak some havoc with his new swords, though it seems kind of lame that a guy renowned for his gunfighting would be handed a couple of swords, and expected to defend himself adequately. It all feels rather horribly like the Star Wars prequels. Before they came along, we imagined Vader's fall from grace on an epic scale... but in the end it feels small and incidental. Likewise, Drift's induction into the Crystal City and their ways seems to have taken roughly the equivalent of a long weekend.

All of this is not to say it's BAD... but it does seem sort of unfortunate that the nicest thing I can say about a Transformers comic lately is that it's not actively awful.

Holy crap, you guys are right! I noticed her, and didn't even think about it either. Not that McCarthy ever seemed all that concerned with following up, or even acknowledging, most of Furman's plot threads anyway... :) 

Oh, one final note... anybody else notice the resemblance between the Slavers, and RID Megatron? Based on the explanation of their motives, it makes me wonder what McCarthy might be trying to add to the IDW Canon?

zmog

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    good: i appreciate drift a bit more in that, i kinda figure shane created drift so he can tell this story, as opposed to making up a story to justify the character, since by this point i'm hard pressed to name an existing character than can be used for this type of tale.

bad: story by this point seem predictable and couldve been told in 2 issues if it was part of an ongoing, not necesarily shanes fault here cuz its just the way comics are structured along TPB long mini series these days).

13. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    I'm just barely seeing it, I think that's just coincidence.

Quite frankly, I see more of a similarity between them and Lockdown, not just in general colors and lankiness but in their obsession with "upgrades". Not sure if that's intentional or not.

14. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    who know maybe that "female" was Arcee, we dont really know when this story happened, or how far back inthe past. When was Arcee supposed to have been created? could those timelines line up?

Slavers take her after story and sell her to Jihaxus, or maybe the slavers are themselves creations of Jihaxus.

I need to re-read my spotlights.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, that too... in fact they remind me a little more of Animated Lockdown, than this new version. Either way, it could signify nothing. It just made me wonder if this alien race upgrading themselves with Cybertronian tech might eventually lead to an IDW version of the RID Predacons...

I don't think the timelines match up in a very sensible way. It seems to me that most possible explanations mean a lot of stretching to retcon what is probably just a straight up error.

zmog

16. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

In regards to the slaver, i think he might become oil slick, i mean he's lanky, already has enhancements and not to mention the skull on his shoulder i could easily see his head being put in a jar and combined with a transformers body (not to mention it would make for an awesome Generations Wreck-Gar Remold) . really the only resemblance between him and RID Megs is the head frill, and thats it.

17. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    It felt like half of this issue was

"Fight"
    "No"
    "Fight!"
    "No"
    "Fight!"
    "No"
    "Fight!!!"
    "No"
    "Fight"
    "Okay"

18. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    Oh, and giving him a new body was kind of superfluous.

There have been female TFs in other IDW G1 stuff (like the Sunstreaker AHM Coda issue, Megatron origin, etc).

19. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Megatron: Origin gets a pass, as unless I'm remembering incorrectly, it was written before Spotlight: Arcee by a different author, and the females in it were purely background cameo bits.

As for the Sunstreaker story... I never noticed that before, but looking back, you're right that there is one there in one brief panel. That could have been artistic license, as she never says anything or contributes anything to the story, unlike the female in this issue. Still, that story was also written by McCarthy... which just seems to throw more fuel into the fire regarding the theory that he doesn't care enough about what happened in IDW continuity before AHM to read all the prior issues.

20. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    To be fair to McCarthy, having read his script for the first issue of Drift and read an interview with Alex Milne re Hot Shot and SG Ravage in Drift #2, the writer doesn't have a great deal of control over who appears in the background of panels, especially crowd scenes.

(In his interview Milne said that he selected Hot Shot and SG Ravage to be killed off in the background of two panels as an in joke because they were the favourites of David Willis)

Which isn't to excuse the discrepancy in canon, rather to point out that it was likely the choice of the artist and not McCarthy himself.