Minor/Repaint: Transformers DOTM Roadbuster w/lights & sounds

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by big hank, Jun 13, 2011.

1. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Roadbuster is a very cool figure, lots of molded details that needed to be brought out!

Bot mode parts got a black base and aluminum and silver drybrushing, followed by detailing with brass and copper accents. Leg armor was painted green to match the car color.

For the altmode I brought out some of the details like the hood pins, spoiler adjustment struts, grill, rims etc. Followed up with a subtle coating of "track grime", along with a "rub mark" on the rear passenger quarter panel.

I used Testors Model Master acrylics, enamels, and Metalizer lacquers. Also used Tamiya acrylics.

I modded the MechTech weapon to lock in in the extended position as well.

Of course I added LED goggles, went with a white LED in his head since the light piping was very light blue. I though it would blend better with the greens and creams of the car parts, and just be a bit different.

The shoulder rocket pods have been outfitted with two orange LEDs in each, connected to a laser cannon sound and light effect chip.

Here's a video link demo of the electronic effects:

YouTube - ‪Transformers DOTM Roadbuster Demo‬‏

[YT]XZoz1imo56A[/YT]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pics here:Transformers DOTM Roadbuster pictures by hankbig - Photobucket

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    very cool custom. could i ask you how i had to mod the weapon to stay out?

3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Fantastic work. Exactly what this figure needed with the LEDS in the missile pods.

4. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

Nice Hank.

5. AndyHibbsCustom

AndyHibbsCustom Well-Known Member

Hank that is mental love it !

6. big hank

News Credits:
    Yeah man, it's actually a very easy mod:

Holding the MechTech in EXTENDED position, drill a small hole from the back all the way through and into the gray trigger part.

[​IMG]

Now simply glue a small length of brass rod into the gray part, allowing some to remain sticking out:

[​IMG]

Now when you pull the trigger back, it acts like a peg and hole to lock the weapon in the extended position:

[​IMG]

Literally easy as 1-2-3!:thumbs2: 

Attached Files:

7. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    oh my goodness! awesome!

SQ7: could you please add this tuorial in the how-to-section? AWESOME have to try this! thank you so much!

8. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My god Hank.... you go dark for a year then come back with all of this magic!

9. KooF

KooF Well-Known Member

Whoah....Very Nice!!! Were there any figure that u "can't" add led into? :) 

10. big hank

News Credits:
    Well they say once you go dark you never go baa...um, I think I got my sayings mixed up.:sly: 

I'm transitioning back into full time customs maybe for the rest of the year. I am hoping for a 10-12 customs per month productivity.

Not yet!!:lol  Scourge is whipping my ass though. Hasbro and 3rd party guys are making it harder and harder with every line.:banghead: 

Thanks God you're around for when I retire!:thumb 

11. wheeljack2010

wheeljack2010 Constructicon

Looks absolutely amazing Hank! You've been busy as all hell lately man. Currently working on a deluxe scale RB myself which will mirror the detail I put into my Leadfoot. Could really use some LED treatment though. Between you, Koof, and Fallenkia; you guys do the best LED's I've ever seen, and in such small confined areas! Huge kudos bro'!

12. big hank

News Credits:
    Yeah man, very busy! I've got a DOTM Shockwave w/lights/sounds/eyes finished up (taking pics tomnorrow) and 4-5 others wired up in various stages of paint.

Are you the one who made Deluxe Leadfoot out of Topspin turned backwards? I'm doing the same dang thing! here I thought I was all innovative and shit. I'm hoping to wrap him up this month.

Anyway, I think LED eyes are within most folks skill level, so I encourage you to tackle that for all three Wreckers. Sound effects and such are a bit of a pain, work up to it. Lemme snap a couple quick pics of the eye LED circuit and you can reference them.

13. jicco

jicco TF Customizer

Ebay:
    crazy workmanship again

14. big hank

News Credits:
    Here's a quick look at the eye circuit for those of you who may want to try it out themselves.

[​IMG]

Lifting the body away from the car shell reveals the location for the circuit. This is the optimum placement to use the figures nook as a housing and not interfere with transformation.

The batteries are pressure fit into place, this eases replacement when the time comes. There is small brass discs I punch out of sheet brass to use as my +/- contacts, I solder the wires to them. Then it's up to the switch and finally all the way up to the head, emerging just behind the ball joint for the neck.

[​IMG]

Out of the hole behind the neck two thin wires get soldered to an LED which is installed in the head. If I recall there is not much work needed to get it to fit nicely.

Attached Files:

15. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    you could use a lightpipe or transparant hotglue around the SAW the kinda get the idea of superfast and hot rotation :D  AWESOME WORK!!

16. KooF

KooF Well-Known Member

Agreed, really crazy. On such small figure can add led + sound some more, bravo !!!

17. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    i got all excited thinking this was HA Roadbuster

Still an amazing job youve been really knocking these out lately

18. big hank

News Credits:
    Thanks! When I get my hands on an HA Roadbuster I'll be going apeshit with the electronics!

19. Bangman009

Bangman009 Prime

Wow what do u do to install the Sound effects

20. big hank

News Credits:
    The sound/light chip I used here was aproximately 3/4 of an inch by 1/2 an inch. All the surface mount components (switch, speaker, LED) were removed and located in the most logical places that space constraints would allow. Then if I recall (the figure has long since been sold) the "chip" was installed in a cavity near the back window. The speaker was mounted in the passenger side window behind the safety netting, while the trigger button was dead center in the back of the hood. Four orange 3mm LEDs were run in parallel and mounted two in each missile pod. Then obviously wires connect them all, you have to always be conscious of where and how you wire to avoid tension and twisting of wire when transforming.

The visor LED was on it's own independent circuit, all tucked in the main body section except for the LED in the head.:thumbs2: