Transformers DOTM Razer Mouse and Mouse Mat Review

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Joe Moore, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Razer's Transformers: Dark of the Moon DeathAdder Ergonomic Gaming Mouse

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Unboxing
    For this review, I took a look at the Shockwave version of the DeathAdder mouse. The first thing I noticed is that the box is beautifully designed. The front of the package features a large shot of the mouse against a space backdrop, the Transformers logo as well as Razer's various logos. The back and sides feature various info on the mouse.

The front of the box opens to reveal the mouse itself, sitting in the packaging. The inside flap features a gorgeous render of Shockwave alongside his namesake gaming mouse. The box opens from the top, with a single piece of round tape sealing the package. The plastic tray slides out easily enough. The back holds a small package with the user manual, a catalog, the warranty and Razer themed stickers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The plastic protector slides off with no tape holding it in place. The mouse is sitting snugly on the plastic tray. Thankfully no twist ties, rubber bands or tape are in the way, and the mouse comes of the tray with no effort needed. A single twist tie holds the wrapped USB cord.

The Design
    Specifications:
    • 3500dpi Razer Precision 3.5G infrared sensor
    • Ergonomic right-handed design
    • 1000Hz Ultrapolling / 1ms response
    • Five independently programmable Hyperesponse buttons
    • On-The-Fly Sensitivity adjustment
    • Always-On mode
    • 16-bit ultra-wide data path
    • 60–120 inches per second and 15g of acceleration
    • Zero-acoustic Ultraslick mouse feet
    • Gold-plated USB connector
    • Seven-Foot, lightweight, braided fiber cable
    • Approximate size: 128mm (length) x 70mm (width) x 42.5mm (height)

Please keep in mind this mouse is strictly for right-handed mouse users. Lefties are, unfortunately, out of luck here. That said, the mouse features a beautifully curved, ergonomic design. It's very comfortable to hold and the hand rests naturally on it. It features the standard 2-button/scroll wheel PC mouse design most will be familiar with. It also features two button on the left hand side of the mouse, accessible easily via your thumb.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The mouse is made from a shiny, durable plastic. It features a two tone color design, with the "character" color on top (in this case, purple for Shockwave) and black on the bottom half. Between the two buttons is the clickable scroll wheel. On the palm rest of the mouse there is a translucent faction symbol (a Decepticon symbol here) as well as the Transformers movie logo in black. Both the scroll wheel and the faction symbol feature colored (purple) LED lights. The scroll wheel stays constantly lit while in use, while the faction symbol fades smoothly from off to on.

In Action
    For this review, I tested the mouse on a few different PC games, web browsing as well as some general computer use. The first thing I noticed, compared to my standard mouse, is that the on screen movement is smoother. It's definitely less "herky-jerky" than the mouse that came with my PC.

The first thing I tested on was some gaming. I whipped out a copy of one of my favorite PC games, Batman: Arkham Asylum. Normally, I would use an USB controller for games of this nature. I immediately noticed that the mouse was super sensitive. It tracked movements almost too quickly, so it took some getting use to. I unplugged the mouse and plugged my old one in just to see if there was a noticeable difference. There was. The camera definitely was smoother moving and more accurate. So I plugged the DeathAdder back in and after just minutes, I got used to the speed in which this was moving. I noticed no lag at all. The extra buttons made the transition from controller to mouse smooth.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Next I tried out a FPS, in this case, the demo for Duke Nukem Forever. First I played for a few minutes with my regular mouse. That worked fine. Then I tried it out with the DeathAdder. This was even more noticeable than on Batman. Aiming was a bit easier, and as before, the movements were smooth and I found myself not having to constantly lift and recenter the mouse, since the smoother motion allowed for broader sweeps with a smaller area of movement.

Bottom Line
    The smoother movements were welcome, but the difference may be negligible to some. For me, the best part of this, is that it's comfortable to hold. My hand rested well and the curved design felt natural. My thumbs didn't feel strained or cramped when trying to hit the two thumb buttons and it looks great. If there is one down side, and I know it will be a turn off for some people, is that the mouse isn't wireless. The cord is long enough for my liking, so it didn't bother me personally.

The price (MSRP $59.99) may seem steep to casual gamers and PC users, but serious PC gamers will know that many gaming mice can cost upwards of $100, so this can prove an excellent alternative. If your a Transformers collector who specializes in non-toy items, keeping this displayed in the box will look nice on a shelf or look good on your desk, especially with this next item...

Razer Transformers: Dark of the Moon Vespula Dual-Sided Gaming Mouse Mat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Unboxing
    The Vespula gaming mat comes in a large, board game-like box. It has a half window display on the right side, showing a portion of the mat. The left side has a photo showing the Optimus Prime portion of the mat. The back and sides show off the mat as well as specifications and details. The box has two easy to open tabs with light adhesive tape keeping it sealed. The plastic holding tray slides out, with the mat, instructions and other paperwork all situated neatly. No tape, twist ties or rubber bands are used, so you can pop it right out of the tray and onto your desk within seconds, without any hassle.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Mat
    The mat itself comes in two pieces; A non-slip gel wrist rest (that acts as a frame) and the two-sided gaming mat. Each side of the mat offers a different tactile feeling, tat differs greatly depending on what you are using it for. The Optimus Prime side offers a very smooth "speed" surface. The Megatron side offers a rougher "precision" surface.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

There are no tabs holding it down. you can flip it over in a second, but it holds nicely in place thanks to the non-slip wrist rest. The art is large and clear as well. It features great renders of Optimus and Megatron. It's also noticeably larger than a standard mouse pad.

Review
    Your personal preference on feel will play a role in which side you use the most. With the Optimus Prime side, my hand glided along swiftly and smoothly and quickly, though it was a bit harder to keep dead aim steady in shooters. Plus with it being so smooth, I could feel a bit of slipping in frantic battles and firefights while gaming.

The Megatron side definitely offered a different experience. It's great for small precise motions. My hand never felt like it was slipping, and the extra friction allowed for a steadier cursor. While working in design programs, I found this side a bit easier to work with.

[​IMG]

As I said before, the mat area is quite large. I usually forgo any mouse pads as I hate continually hitting the edge of the pad and having to recenter the mouse every few minutes. With the gaming mat, I found that I really don't hit the edges of the pad now. It's really nice and wide, so using it with an HD monitor (as I did with this review) felt natural. The wrist rest is comfortable, and a good height. It's probably designed for use, mainly, with the DeathAdder mice, as the wrist rest height matched up near perfectly with how my hand fell on the mouse.

Bottom Line
    Yes, this is basically a souped up mouse pad. But it's nice design, and the different sides proved to be a pleasant surprise. It looks great on the desk, especially with the DeathAdder mice. I personally found myself using the rougher, Megatron, side. As a Transformers fan, if you're buying it just to add a cool, non-toy item to your collection, it might be best to open it and display it loose. The art looks great and it's mostly hidden in the box.

Mouse and Mat Together
    It is clear, though, that both the DeathAdder mouse and the Vespula gaming mat are meant to be used together. The smooth bottom surface of the mouse glides nicely across the smooth side of the mat, and has just the right grip on the rough side. Like I said earlier, they're both great looking computer accessories, function well and they incorporate the Transformers license well.

Check out Razer's Transformers: Dark of the Moon Collector's Edition Mini Site for more info.
    You can also sign up for the Razer Newsletter to receive new on upcoming Razer products.

Attached Files:

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thanks again to Razer for the chance to review these. And don't forget to check back tomorrow for a chance to win some of these Razer products.

3. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm liking the mouse, but I'm bummed that the cases only go up to 15" or I'd buy one pretty fast.

4. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    Nice looking stuff, but way outa my price range for comp accessories.

5. JBStuka

JBStuka Well-Known Member

Very cool, but any self respecting true gamer would want way more than just 5 buttons.

6. Avolow

Avolow Well-Known Member

Looks cool, but I have made the mistake of buying the over priced Razor Naga mouse. The first one I bought died after 2 months. I called and got an RMA. They sent me a VERY used looking beat up mouse. I called on that and they sent me another one that died after another few months. I am on my forth one and dont expect it to last to much longer based on my experience so far. I am not hard on mice and have a $20.00 mouse from Walmart that has lasted for about 6 years now. I will be going back to it after this Naga is done cause I will be out of warranty in the next few months. Their customer service was not that good either. If it wasn't for that I might consider buying another one, but no.

Avolow.

7. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yea ive heard bad reports about razer products, both their mice and keyboards [especially on the blackwidow]

the mouse does look nice, but for the same price you get a logitech g9x which has more buttons and features [9 buttons, adjustable weight, 5700 dpi on the fly switching]

most gaming mice that are more than $50 are aimed for MMO players, as they have a ton of skills to use
    FPS/RTS [i mainly play starcraft2] dont need as many buttons

the mousepad however, i like
    sadly i bought a steel series qck [starcraft 2 kerrigan vs zeratul] one, so i cant warrant it

a mousepad really helps though with gaming mice as it reduces the amount of wear on the silicon glide/feet on the mice

8. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    You're very welcome. :p 

I might pick some of this stuff up myself.

9. Avolow

Avolow Well-Known Member

Thats me, I play Lord of the Rings Online and love the design of the mouse, just hate how low quality it is for the $90 that I spent on it and the not so hot customers service. If they had any lasting quality to them I would be happy.

Avolow.

10. SideswipePrime

SideswipePrime Reply Dump Extraordinaire

cool! but i would rather have the star wars the old republic one, but if this costs less then ill look into it

11. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    LOVE the mouse pad!!!! and the price isn't too bad, will be on my want list for sure :thumb 

Wish I could get a purple mouse with the Autobot insignia....

12. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

the mousepad is awesome. the moment i saw it, i had to get it :D  replaced my old one of almost 5 years. the only downside is the tf logo on the wrist rest area is peeling off :(  . oh well the pad itself is great. i use a razer naga and it glides like butter. soooo nice.

13. Avolow

Avolow Well-Known Member

Haha, I should think about replacing my mouse pad someday, I am still using one I bought in 1994, and it is looking a little worn. I do have a brand new one from Best Buy that I bought to see if my Naga just didn't like my old one all of the sudden, but it is a solid color and lifeless.

kamuix: How long have you had the Naga? When mine worked they worked beautifully, they just dont last. The first one would not even recognize, the next was BEAT up looking, the started skipping and jumping on all surfaces. My fourth one is working great so far, fingers crossed this one actually lasts.

Avolow.

14. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

Yo, i actually picked up the Naga about a few months ago. I believe around April. I can't exactly remember, it was after a friend talked me into picking one up as he was using his for quite a while when he played Wow. He has it now marcoed for starcraft. The mouse is luckily holding up, but with a couple of scuff marks on the left click. I don't know if my fingers are rough but it looks like scratch marks are on it. Doesn't really bother me much. Sorry to hear you going through so much trouble with the mouse, hope it lasts as its a pretty nice mouse. I'm glad mine doesn't have much issues, picked it up at best buy. I have a mac and macroed half the buttons for keyboard shortcuts.

The mouse pad was nice, but I understand the cheap quality you feel. The tf logo on the wrist pad was like a last minute sticker, and its peeling pretty good. Only had it for a bit over a week. There was also some kinda sticky gunk on the mouse pad, but i can always use those goop removers. The pad works fine overall, I guess that's what counts lol :D 

15. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oh also the non tf edition of the deathadder is $10 less, but no tf on it :p 

16. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Razer mice are a BLISS for both gaming and graphic work...but their cables break within a year.....real shame.

17. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Good info to know, thanks...you'd think they'd go wireless. :inquisiti 

18. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    usually gamers prefer wired, as you dont need to worry for batteries cutting out in the middle of a match

19. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits: