Transformers Devastation

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by danny boy, Jun 13, 2015.

1. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As I mentioned in another thread, the thing with Platinum is that they have a formula that they don't stray from too much, except as appropriate for the set piece they're trying to depict.

It's difficult to articulate what exactly their games are like if you haven't played one. And yes, they can become repetitive... unless you're someone who loves their combat mechanics and the creativity they give you to pull off increasingly insane combos with them. I am one such person, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Here's a clip from Bayonetta that depicts really well what their games can be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-RqRJKUm0w

The typical gameplay "loop" in their titles goes something like:

• Explore highly stylized, extremely linear, but atmospheric environment (particular to themes of given game) for secrets and low level enemies.
    • Defeat said enemies, racking up XP and acquiring items.
    • Use XP and items to empower or unlock ever more insane combo attacks (combos are extremely simple and intuitive to pull off however, not like say, Mortal Kombat or fighters where there are incredibly long strings of hard to remember button sequences - they're more down to timing and simple sequences than that.)
    • Eventually come to larger arena-style areas with huge bosses that pretty much defy description unless you've played their games - huge multi-headed beasts you have to scale to reach before doing any damage, etc.
    • Explore the obligatory "puzzle" areas, such as platforming zones requiring you to figure out the proper sequence in which to jump to reach your destination, or the like - straightforward but variably challenging action puzzles essentially.
    • Action is broken up by the occasional highly cinematic quick time event sequence, or alternative action mode (such as Bayonetta's SCHMUP sequences or side scrolling sequences.)
    • Rinse and repeat, all while a story - usually a hightened, over the top story - is being told.

That tends to be the basic structure and essence of their games. I can virtually guarantee there will not be many more characters than have been revealed (if any at all,) nor any open world, free roaming sections. That would come as a huge surprise. They make highly focused, very linear action games, where the mastery and fun of combos and insane, over the top action are their own reward (along with getting all the unlockables and upgrades.)

If you're someone who doesn't enjoy this flavor of gameplay, this being a Transformers game likely will not change your mind. Not trying to throw cold water on the game. On the contrary, I can't wait, as I LOVE Platinum's games. But people should not have misled expectations just because it's a Transformers game.

Just trying to engender reasonable expectations.

2. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

Glad to see Bumblebee in this one. He is one under used Transformer......

3. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Hmm, yes I do have a concern that the combat style will get repetitive. I don't see it as 'creative' either, it's like a street fighter but third person.

:lol 

4. AnonymousDwell

News Credits:
    Well, by "creative" what I mean is that their games usually allow you to unlock increasingly elaborate combos which you can chain together in any order you want to take out bosses and enemies in the most stylish way possible. That's sort of the whole premise of their games.

But as stated, if this isn't a style of gameplay you enjoy, it being a Transformers game won't change your mind. People should know what they're getting. This is VERY much just a Platinum game (ala Bayonetta) in a Transformers skin. If that's not something someone would like, then they should probably steer clear in order to spare themselves disappointment.

While I can't be certain at this stage, I would judge it to be very doubtful that there will be more to it than that.

5. DeadLocke

DeadLocke Well-Known Member

Isn't Bayonetta also a Nintendo game? I'm surprised that it's for PS3/PS4.

6. AnonymousDwell

News Credits:
    Not exactly. It began life as a multiplatform series, and other Platinum games are multiplats as well. The first Bayonetta wasn't a particularly great financial success, despite being well reviewed. No publishers would touch it after that.

So Nintendo sort of rescued the series by publishing Bayonetta 2 (which came bundled with the first game in remastered form as well) on Wii U.

So it's not a first party Nintendo franchise, but it's sort of under their roof, at least for this gen. Platinum is an independent developer though. They just have good working relationships with lots of companies.

7. HuffR_WFCTX_91135

HuffR_WFCTX_91135 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why would you preorder? this game won't be hard to get.

8. Type X

Type X @DeadStockNYC

Ebay:
    Not sure if link was posted.

Preorders up at 6 retailers

Transformers: Devastation

The e3 blogs posted Oct 6th for release date, but preorders are 9/22

This week bestbuy has 30% extra trade in value to get people to prob buy batman, but smart to do it now and either reserve or just hold GC

9. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That's not why I preorder games. I pay a little on the game each paycheck until release date. Preordering games are different from action figures unless there is a collectors edition, those usually sell out fast.

10. AKSpartan1661

AKSpartan1661 Cool Cat & Sub-Commander

News Credits:
    Super stoked for this, even more than Battlefront now. I wonder if there will be any pre-order bonuses.

11. AnonymousDwell

News Credits:
    I generally don't preorder games on principle (I don't buy anything else sight unseen, why would I with games?) but the likelihood that I personally won't like this is very, very low. So I'm tempted to break my rule in this instance.

(I also break it for Earth Defense Force games... just because no one stocks them here at all if I don't lol. And I love that wacky series.)

12. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    I guess I know what I'm in for here, and there's a high probability I won't like it. I'm going to try it anyway because I've never tried a Platinum game. I just don't like games like Street fighter which is all I keep think of with this. I promise I won't endlessly complain!

Plus it's nice to have a G1 game.

13. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    You are probably better off thinking less Street Fighter and more God of War, minus the blood and a-moral characters of course. God of War is not a perfect comparison, but its the closest thing I can think of without comparing it to another Platinum game.

So I guess:

Graphics and art style: Street Fighter
    Fighting and general game Mechanics: God of War
    Story: Watered down All Hail Megatron era IDW comics (which should work for a fast pace action game)

14. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Can't wait to hear Michael Bell do Transformers again. Wonder how his Sideswipe voice will hold up, or if it will become a little more macho, like Duke's.

15. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I want to hear Prowl!!! :) 

16. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

He'll probably be in there too. Pay a guy to do voice acting, and it makes sense to have him reprise as many characters as possible. We know Hook's in the game, after all.

17. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Makes sense to me :D 

18. sideswipe89

sideswipe89 Beachcomber

News Credits:
    I know!! I'm really wondering how his sideswipe is gonna sound like now? Along with Dan's Bumblebee. I'm hoping the voices haven't changed too much. I kinda wish Peter Cullen would do his G1 prime vocie (if he still can). Its kinda weird but the voice actor cast has really got me excited for this game. That and the designs will make it feel like an evolution of the original cartoon.

19. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to the voice acting a lot too.

20. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    People expecting any more playable characters are setting themselves up for disappointment. I'm not saying that it won't happen, just that it's unlikely. Anarchy Reigns had many characters but the only DLC character was Bayonetta who was a preorder bonus and the game was a brawler.