Customs: Transformers Design Question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by AlphaTrionA3, Jun 28, 2011.

1. AlphaTrionA3

AlphaTrionA3 Autobot

News Credits:
    Hey there,

Does anyone out there know of a step-by-step guide to designing custom Transformers? I have a lot of great ideas for TFs in my head, but then comes to putting them down on paper... the actual transformation trips me up. I have to figure out how to get the robot into his/her altmode.

Are there any guides for that?

2. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

you could always make a lego/bionicle/paper mockup and see how things work out from there : D

3. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

I have a book about this subject but I don't have it on hand right now :(  Still, I can repeat what I've gained from it.

Use interpolation (basically big to small) so that you start off with the very basic gist of how the thing will transform e.g. 'This robot should turn in to a car by having the front become arms and the rear become legs. The roof and sides will be the torso'. Then from there you work a little smaller. 'The front of the car will split in half and fold down to the sides to become arms. Fists will flip out etc.' And it keeps going until you have a thorough transformation.

Pay particular note to certain mechanics of already existing transformations. These can help solve problems instead of you having to suddenly become an engineer.

Hope that helps!

4. AlphaTrionA3

AlphaTrionA3 Autobot

News Credits:
    Thank you Slothboy, that helps a lot! I am going to try and design a Galvatron toy. I'm using a real-world tank as the base to draw up an alien tank, and then take that and design the robot mode from there.

I plan to build this toy from scratch, which is a huge project for a first-timer. I'm not saying it'll be easy and it will probably take me a very, very long time to do, but when I get my mind set on something it's hard to convince myself to let it go.

Anyway I'll try and keep everyone posted on my progress through the radicon forums. Wish me luck everyone!

...I'm going to need it...