Transformers Design Process

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by buckmana, Jun 24, 2007.

1. buckmana

buckmana Well-Known Member

First of all, the most important rule:

NO FLAMING!!!!

Let's keep it civilized people.

This is the third time I've tried to start a reasonable discussion on this topic.

Barricade toy

Movie Barricade

Generally, I prefer the toy design to the movie design. It's simple and logical.

To me, it looks like the movie designs are like moving piles of metal shards. The image I get in my head is that of a smashed up Sentinel.

I saw the second trailer today (yes, I know I'm out of date, it took me a while to find the site) and wondered if they're overdoing it a bit.

Optimus Prime transforms and pieces of metal slide into place on his head.

What's wrong with having his head simply pop-up from a hidden compartment?

Okay, your turn now. Keep it nice.

2. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

I think the point of it is to show that the head requires assembly when transforming into robot mode, implying that the head does not remain as one whole piece (albeit hidden) when Prime is in vehicle mode, but disassembles into smaller pieces to intergrate itself with the vehicle parts. It's to make their vehicle mode disguise more convincing. You don't want to open up the engine of your vehicle to find a giant robot head staring right back at ya.

3. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Simply put, Optimus' head can't simply pop up from a hidden compartment, because there is no hidden head compartment in a peterbilt 379. The movie took a different approach to Transformers. Whereas previous incarnations had what is essentially robots hiding inside vehicles, the movie characters are robots made up of the parts of vehicles.

4. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Real world vehicles are full of empty space.

Toy vehicles are generally, more or less, solid through and through, which allows for things like hidden compartments that hold big robot heads.

So, in order for the movie bots to transform into real world, full of empty space vehicles, an approach had to be used that couldn't apply to the toys. Rather than just retracting into a hidden compartment, a giant robot head has to collapse into smaller pieces that can be more easily hidden. Robot limbs have to be assembled from many smaller parts of the car instead of being huge blocks that fill up the driver's compartment.

That, combined with an overall preference of style on the filmmaker's part, is pretty much why the Transformers in this movie look so different.

EDIT: Op_Prime and Sso02V type faster than me.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I prefer the movie models to the toy models, as they look much more like sentient alien robots. The metal should move and flex with their motions, like skin or armour plating, it also looks cooler in motion than the toys do. :thumb 

6. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    This has gone far enough. The first thread was closed by the Staff. That's a good indication that it's a bad idea to open another thread with the same topic.

But not only was another one opened, but yet another one after that.

Please do NOT start another thread after this one.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Dude you make laugh...heres hoping three threads is the charm.

On topic, I wish the TFs were more like cartoon/comic in that the alt mode was just a disguise and under their hoods the engines were highly complex alien hardware.

8. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

um okay?.........well i actually like the movie design better, it seems to be much more detailed and looks more flexible. i also like how the doors behind his head look when you look at the front of him.

9. Op_Prime

I always found it amusing how easy it was for normal human mechanics to adapt to, and actually fix complex Cybertronian innards :D 

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

And the humans always wear the same clothes...

11. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Since the last thread was closed, I just wanted to respond real quick to two folks,. then I'm done.
    This one's to Draven: I'm not saying I would have prefered Hotshot over BB, it's just to me his vehicle mode says Hotshot more than BB. Mostly his 08 version. BBs face looks more human friendly, and BB-like. It's just his car mode.
    And this one's to Hobbes-timus Prime:
    It's been a while since I've done math but if I remember correctly; realism + Hollywood movie x science fiction = doesn't matter
    And I did double check my work. And I showed it to my dad just to make sure.
    LOL! I'm just foolin' I just had to get that out. :) 

12. DeathDrop

DeathDrop Well-Known Member

Eep!

13. Mirage914

Mirage914 Invisible

In before lock.

14. Op_Prime

Indeed

Interestingly, this discussion has made me realize that the Transformers seem to encounter mechanically inclined humans, who would always notice the alien technology housed inside those earthern looking frames, with alarming regularity. Maybe this thought also occured to the movie production team, and they took steps to bring the Robots in disguise concept even further, hence the increasingly complex designs to accomodate enough leeway for a realistic looking interior. To all appearances, their vehicle innards have to look terran , though high performance, as the also mechanically-inclined Mikaela points out in that short movie snippet shown during the MTV movie awards.

15. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Not locking as long as it stays on topic and civilized.

HOWEVER, if the author decides to open up another thread in its likeness, we will take care of it internally.

16. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

I love these forums because I rarely have to post my opinion, since usually about 5 other people will post exactly what I want to say, and 2 of the 5 will say it more eloquently than I could.

I guess that seems kind of pointless for me to post, but I'm just saying I completely agree with the first 3 or so responses to the original thread author.

17. buckmana

buckmana Well-Known Member

I only made a new one because the last two turned into flamefests.

I wanted civilized discussion and didn't get it.

If people start flaming again, I'm not going to bother with a fourth thread.

But back on topic:

If the cartoon never acknowledged where the parts went, why should the movie? But at least it shows they were thinking about it.

I often wonder where the spaces that were hollow (usually the chest or back, depending on Transformer), i.e: passenger spaces got filled up with mechanical parts when they transformed into robot mode.

Optimus kept the Matrix (do you think that will be in the movie?) in his chest. Where did it go when he transformed into vehicle mode?

I'm also wondering which version (not that'll we'll see it) of brain module they'll use. In the comic, it was a few tiny circuits. In the cartoon, they had larger units (as you would expect from having heads that big).

18. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

lol i love that word......FLAMEFEST!!!

19. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Because the cartoon was a toy commercial designed for 7 years olds. The movie is a toy commercial designed for 7-30 year olds.

:thumb 

20. DeathDrop

DeathDrop Well-Known Member

And don't forget people you like giant robots blowing stuff up!