Transformers deapreciating?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by derbyhat7, May 19, 2010.

1. derbyhat7

derbyhat7 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Is it just me or does TFs seem to be depreciating in general? I have watched quite a few items on ebay reissues and g1 originals, and it seems that both are not selling or selling for less than they did just a 6 months ago. I remember checking ebay for reissues that were opened and they were worth just a few dollars less than the unopened ones (pretty close to the same price). What happened? lol, did Bay with TF2 decrease the value of all TFs?

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

People don't have as much money to spend due to a global recession?

6 months ago TFs were getting bought for Christmas presents so there was increased demand?

As a regular eBay user, in my experience things cost about the same. All depends on the individual item and it's kinda hard to generalise.

3. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    no, Bay with his two movies INCREASED the value of transformers BIG TIME

no, people just are being cautious with their purchases and doing research before over-spending

4. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think you can say that all transformers are depreciating. Most Botcon stuff (especially '07 and '08) is going for all-time high prices.

5. derbyhat7

Ebay:
    I was just joking about the BAY comment. I know it has brought life back into TF. As far as prices though, I have watched for certain TFs for 6 to 7 years, looking for reissues and 9 years ago I was looking for used g1 tfs, I gotta say I know 9 years ago the g1 tfs were worth whole lot more. I remember seeing soundwave for close to 100 bucks, used, loose, but now he is 25.00 bucks or sometimes lower depending on the condition. Bay has brought alot of attention but, I know from looking for TFs at reasonable prices for years now that they are worth less now. I agree though, we are in a recession and you would think that would slow down purchases but there actually was a report on yahoo news a few months back and it showed businesses that were booming through the recession, TFs were in the top 5!

6. derbyhat7

Ebay:
    I didnt mean all, I am stating in general, and mainly reissues and g1.

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Soundwave, who just got reissued. For the bazillion time. Is dropping in value??? :eek: 

Bad example.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    for some of the G1s they have been reissued and this includes most of the popular characters toys and this attracts many types of collector, some like my self have a low budget and find them a good alternative to pricey mint and complete legit G1s. Others buy them as display pieces or kit bash fodder.

regardless of the reason behind the purchase the reissues do drop the demand for the original figures.

Soundwave as videriant said has been reissued many times is one whose G1 toy has taken a real hit in value as result as the demand is low as many are satisfied by reissues.

Another reason for toy value drop is that the novice collectors who came on board of the life action movies are cooling on the hobby as its possible by now they have many of the lower cost figures and are looking at higher end G1s and balking at the prices due to the poor economy and having to make a buck stretch further.

9. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I dont see it deapreciating at all. Look at some of the high ticket items like Grand Maximus that just sold for over $2,500. Seems like I have to battle the world just for some of the obscure non popular G1 toys on ebay just so I can finish some of the later series toys. I prefer to buy from local indiviual collectors instead, and I am not talking about Comic Book Stores.

10. derbyhat7

Ebay:
    A well executed analysis, highly interesting points.

11. derbyhat7

Ebay:
    Please, people, I said in GENERAL. There are the exceptions, but overall (again in general). Rarely heard of TFs are probably will always sell at ridculous prices.

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Look at this way - 10 years ago the only way to own a G1 (e.g.) Soundwave or Jazz was to BUY a vintage version. There are a finite number of those, even less in excellent/complete condition. Therefore, price is high.

Now, after many reissues, people who want the same figure have a multitude of choices. The Encore editions of Ratchet, Ironhide and Jazz literally go for £4-5 on ebay. Hence, the (10 year old) price on a G1 Jazz is divided between vintage, TRU, TFC and Encore. Of course, there'll always be some who want an original, so they'll hold some value, but generally speaking, many people don't mind.

Have you noticed how the price of Sunstreaker and Wheeljack has INCREASED? Solely due to the fact they haven't been reissued (and are continually rumoured to never be an option).

It's all down to people's preferences and the options they've got to satiate them.

Personally speaking, I've always been happy with a mixture of (official) reissues and vintage in my collection, but now I keep getting a tug to go exclusively vintage...

13. uzi_the_klown

uzi_the_klown Well-Known Member

same here i even got one of the hq bootlegs just cause my real one does not display good but i could a not afford another official reflector

14. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd say so, especially G1 because the market has gotten smaller and the reissues have completely saturated the market. Not that its a bad thing but I remember a time when I wouldn't have struggled to at least recoup what I paid for Omega Supreme 7 or 8 years ago.

Basically, most of the stuff that has been reissued really dropped in price. Now, that is NOT a bad thing because most of the stuff I wanted was reissued and I snatched it up quick. However, stuff like Hot Rod, Rodimus, Soundwave, Prime, Jazz, Prowl, etc.... they have just been reissued one to many times to hold value and most stores still have them in stock.

Now Beast Wars toys... Yikes! that stuff is going threw the damn roof! I never thought i'd see the day TM Megatron and his buddies would be selling close to 60-80 bucks

15. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    None of the stuff I've been looking for recently seems to be going down at all. If anything, it's gone up.

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Meh. It's May, and nothing new has really come out in a while. Things will pick back up when scalpers get their hands on HtfD cases.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's a problem I've seen over on the GI Joe side. Hasbro keeps putting out stuff and keeps putting out stuff so collectors just run out of room at some point. Once you start running out of room or there is a brand new cheaper alternative people just stop buying the old stuff.

18. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    there's just so much stuff to buy nowadays, between Hasbro, Takara, Fansprojects etc, before you even consider the vintage stuff.

It splits your resources, and I don't really feel like paying so much for the vintage anymore. It also splits the demand. There isn't the same concentrated demand on a limited number of G1 grails.

Where might have been 10 people in the market for a G1 Scorponok at any one time, maybe half of them would now be distracted, looking at reissues, or getting into G2 stuff, or Fansprojects or new stuff they missed, or other things. And with less bidders, the price doesn't tend to go as high.

19. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

I've never understood why some things that don't sell either remain at high prices or go up. For example, on Ebay there is a japanese Defensor giftset that has been there for months. Its stayed at the £450 BIN price mark.

Another example was an incomplete Soundblaster (it was in box, but the box was in poor condition). I watched this for a long time. For many months the BIN was around £130, but then it suddenly shot up to around £150. I wondered why the seller put the price up if he couldn't shift it for all those months at a lower price.

20. Alejandro27

Alejandro27 Well-Known Member

I noticed that between the first and second movie, transformers were going really low on ebay. Then last year around this time before the second movie came out prices went back up during the release of the second movie was the peak. In the inbetween I bought an original Megatron in the box for 77, I noticed the day I bought him there were three otheres that same day sold for the same average. Then during the second movie period that same figure in the box was selling for 200. So as long as there are these movies the value will go up peak then go back down after the movie.