Transformers: Dark of the Moon Video game, what did you think?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Transformed, Jul 9, 2011.

?

What do you think?

1. Was it great?

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Was it good?

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Was it okay?

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  4. Was it bad?

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As this game was built by the same studio that brought us War For Cybertron (the best Transformers game TO DATE) High Moon Studios, my experience with this game will draw comparisons from that. If however, you wish to draw from other games or other Transformers games, be my guest.

First of all, I’d like to say that Transformers: Dark of the Moon the video game is a good game; I enjoyed this movie incarnation a heck of a lot more than the previous two movie games, which felt just dreadful with their repeated tasks and lack of story. High Moon Studio’s Transformers: Dark of the Moon was a breath of fresh air. The addition of FMV (full motion video) is a big, big plus in my book! I’m a lover of FMV, so naturally I enjoyed its inclusion. The previous movie games teased us with interesting openings, but did nothing beyond that.

The game’s layout is structured a lot like War For Cybertron, which is another plus, as that means my learning curve will be short or nonexistent. I don’t want to spend the first 30 of any game hammering through a tutorial in order to start my adventure—who thought that would be a great idea? I much prefer the learn-as-you-go tutorials, as I’m more likely to remember the skill taught over a period of time rather than all at once, which without a doubt makes it much easier to recall them when necessary.

Thank you High Moon Studios from not making this game about racing from points A to B, that’s all the other games ever felt to me, save for boss fights, which were occasionally fun. Thank you High Moon Studios for adding support characters; their inclusion added life to story. Dialog was few and far between in previous games, I recall a lot of dead air, which only amplified by boredom with their asinine tasks.

Voiceovers, music and sound effects were much better in this incarnation as well. I don’t know if it was just my copy of Revenge of the Fallen or an across the board problem with the game, buy my copy had nothing but sound issues. I could barely hear anyone speaking in the war room briefings and when the characters did speak I could only wonder why conversations were so few and far between. Transformers: Dark of the Moon is interactive from start to finish and is without sound issues.

What I didn’t like about the game is its targeting system, rather its lock on feature. I spent way too much time trying to achieve the Body Count trophy because of this feature…or the lack of ammunition in Mirage’s gun. No ammo means goodbye lock on, and as you cannot switch to your secondary/primary weapon with the lock on feature still enabled; you have to start all over! In a fight were time is of the essence, having to realign aim you previously had is a pain in the @$$!

I hate the sluggish movement of characters. Jets feel like they fly to slowly and running robots feel like they’re being weighted down by tons of brick. I want my Cybertronians to move faster damn it—I’m still a little pissed that High Moon Studios doesn’t allow gamers to switch aiming from right shoulder view to left—it’s a useful TPS feature!

I really hated how characters get lost in the environments. People complained about how the Transformers blended into Cybertron too much in WFC in past reviews, which is something I had little or no issue with myself, but this time around, I found myself wondering who the hell is shooting at me and where the hell is he! Now I see why WFC had so many glowing parts on its Transformers! Trees, pillars or whatever distorting one’s view make it so easy for your ememies to just disappear.

I was saddened by the reoccurring online issues from War For Cybertron’s multiplayer happening again in this game—did High Moon Studios learn nothing beyond an auto save feature that kicks in the second you’re booted from a match? Where the hell is host migration?! And why is Multiplayer is a slimmed down version of War For Cybertron? Thought it was nice to finish the online side of things in 1/64 the time it took to do so in War For Cybertron, it wasn’t as fun. Let’s face it, less is less and more is more.

The trophies tied to online play are hella easy this time around; I finished the multiplayer side of things in a little over an hour WITHOUT boosting! I’m not too sure how I feel about that. I started online right away because I remember how much of a chore it was when playing War For Cybertron, but it’s far from a chore this time around as the numbers needed to level up aren’t astronomical and you DO NOT need to max out all four classes, which was actually a welcomed surprise.

Why are classes still tied to chassis? I want to assign classes to chassis on my own High Moon Studios, don’t make my mind up for me!

Lastly, I was disappointed in the lack of trophies in this game—I’ve become such a trophy whore, sorry. For the most part, these trophies ARE NOT CHALLENGING AT ALL. Save for Completionist and a few timed trophies that don’t keep track of time for you, but aside from those, you’ll most likely unlock trophies accidentally as they are THAT EASY. I played this game when I had time which, was only a few hours at a time, but I’m confident that you could platinum this game in half a day if even that given the fact that game difficulty has nothing to do with trophies, save for Autobots Are Weak, which actually isn’t difficult to get on the required HARD setting!

So yeah, it has issues I’m not too happy about, but it’s still a fun game. What did you think?

EDIT: Poll labels are screwed, sorry.

They should have read: It's great, it's good, it's okay and it's bad m(_ _)m

2. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was ok, single player is shockingly short though

3. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was ok. Storymode too short. Lack of the option of changing characters in each level like WFC or ROTF is a lame move. Online is fun though but needs more characters.

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It was good but it's a watered down WFC. So when I finished it I went to go play the real thing.

It's like a Diet War for Cybertron. It tastes worse than the real thing but people still want it.

5. Nightmare966

Nightmare966 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was great when you think the little time they had to work on it as it was restrained by movie release date.

It's OK when you compare it with WfC.

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Eh, I'd say it was okay.

7. seaspray10

seaspray10 Master Of Ninja Things

News Credits:
    too easy i rented it and got all the achievments in 5 days

8. theironhulk

theironhulk Autobot Medic

News Credits:
    It's okay. Enjoyable game but nothing more. Nothing less.

9. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    +1 this. exactly this. spot on.