Transformers Cybertron - your final thoughts...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AutobotMarine, Sep 16, 2007.

1. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    A thread that shall emphasizes upon the final "ending" for the Unicron trilogy. But what are your thoughts about it? You can also rate the series.

To begin with, Cybertorn my opinion was not a bad series. While there were some issues, like mixing CGI in anime backgrounds, it was a pretty decent series. The human charachers wern't as obnoxious as in Armada, nor were they asses like Kicker from Energon. In my opinion, it definately beats Beast Machines and Armada. Some of those gimmick moments were just lame, and the Decepticons were becoming so diminished; leaving only three Decepticons at the very beginning, and no actual "devoted" Decepticons in the series. That was pretty dissapointing. I at times, felt the gimmicks were overused or underused, like Brakedown's key gimmick. The series had some confusing elements, such as the entire concept of having this series tied with Armada and Energon. Galaxy Force, the japanese overseer had better use of wording, and was not originally intended to be tied with Micron Legends and Superlink. However, as indicated in the second Japanese TF:GF DVD, they did. The most irritating element were those fake accents, the most cheesy aspect of TFC. Without that, better Decepticons, diminished roles for the kids, better use of wording like that of Galaxy Force and some more reconizable Autobots, this could have been the best series. Period.

The best aspect about Cybertron was of course, were the toys. While Energon had some decent toys like Megatron, Bruticus, and Unicron; Cybertron had even better toys. The Cybertron Optimus Prime was nothing of awesome as compared to his previous reincarnations; even as compared to G1 Prime. Cybertron's toyline was in my opinion, better than classics, and better than some of the movie toys. But not all of them.

While we have enter into another series TF: Animated, I can only think back at those good times. True, Cybertron probably was not as good as G1, Beast Wars or RID; but it was fairly a decent series. Better than Armada in toys and action, better than Energon in toys aswell. My rating of Transformers Cybertron, 8.2 out of 10. Galaxy Force rating: 9.0 out of 10.

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I didnt watch the Cybertron cartoon. I saw nearly half of Armada, and a few episodes of Energon and Cybertron, and all 3 of them were crappily written and animated even worse.

However, I thought the Cybertron toys were very good and I liked the concepts Cybertron presented, even if the cartoon didnt make the most of them. That is to say, I like the idea of Transformers colonizing multiple planets, each with their own Convoy and design style.

3. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The Cybertron toys were aces. Can't complain one bit about those.

The cartoon... Totally unwatchable.

4. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Regarding the show, I can't say much about Cybertron as it seemed like Cartoon Network aired the same six or seven episodes whenever I watched. I did see all of Galaxy Force. That I enjoyed well enough. Could have been better, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse. I'd say there was a lot of lost potential in character development. Master Megatron started out kind of as a noble villain, but seemed to regress to "evil because I am". Then there was the lack of exposure for a good deal of the cast (Flame Convoy's cronies, Inch Up, LIVE CONVOY, SOUNDWAVE).

But the biggest example of lost pontential was Unicron. Yes, we had plenty of Unicron already, but the Grand Black Hole was created by the imbalance between good and evil. The implication was that there had to be good and evil in order for the universe to exist, but in the end the Grand Black Hole is sealed by Primus with NO CONSEQUENCES. Maybe blame Gonzo for starting a new continuity, or Takara for not releasing deluxe Unicron, hell even Takara and Hasbro not wanting the series to end on a down note, but Unicron's ressurection should have been the last scene of the final episode.

I didn't mind the humans much. Coby's ability to repair alien robots seemed a little contrived, as did the "only children can go through the wormhole because their minds are flexible" plot device, but I found them tolerable. Heck, I liked Bud (seeing as how he seems unpopular here). I also got a kick out of Lori's ability to intimidate some Transformers.

One thing I can definitely say about Cybertron as a show is that although Voicebox had good intentions by putting new dialogue into the stock footage, they kinda dropped the ball. Case in point: Starscream makes his bid for the Omega Lock on Earth. During the stock footage, Prime and the Autobots are spouting "lesson of the day" nonsense about teamwork and friendship and how Starscream won't win because he's backstabbed everyone who could have helped him. And what does Starscream do? He makes the Autobots look like a bunch of idiots by SINGLE-HANDEDLY beating all of them AND takes the Omega Lock. Way to go, Voicebox. :rolleyes2 

The toys were very good, and I can't think of a single toy from the series I own whose design is seriously compromised by the Cyber Key gimmick. Well, okay, Override is pretty floppy thanks to the auto-transformation, but that's not the Cyber Key gimmick. Like always, distribution is a problem of varying severity for people (yes, I know my problems pale in comparison to those of you in the UK), but did Hasbro really have to take Scourge out of the Ultra assortment by Christmas? The line debuted in like, June/July? And Galvatron disappeared pretty damn fast.

5. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That's a pretty generous rating for a show that was just "pretty decent."

I would give the show a 3 out of 10.

6. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Here's the start of another 50 page thread where we get hear how ungodly awesome G1 is & how nothing else can compare.

Cybertron is unwatchable??? :mad 

(Noisemaze leaves thread before flamewar)

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    There's a lot I enjoyed about Galaxy Force, but there's a few things I didn't like as well. For one, it was all one overriding arc the whole way through. For two, some events lasted far too long (Speedia races). For three, some interesting characters were completely neglected (Soundwave).

What I think would have made the series better would have been if the "Hunt the Keys" thing was limited just to the core episodes, and things like the Speedia races had just been two - three episodes. This would have left more time to explore the interesting characters.

Honestly though I think Armada handled the large cast best when it introduced the last "new" cast members in the mid-30s, episode wise, which meant they theoretically had plenty of episodes to be developed. Guys like Metroplex and Menasor were just plain too late in the story to have time devoted to them which was a shame. By the time they were introduced the series was going into the final run where things should have been picking up.

That said, I felt the final two episodes were masterfully done. The final fight with Galvatron on the moon, as Animatros is set on a collision course with Cybertron, was the perfect scenario (though I'd have preferred it on a collision course with Earth as it would have seemed even more threatening that way). The epilogue episode was awesome too, much better than some of the other shows which end things all too briefly, leaving you wondering what happened to the cast next. The Cybertron ending, showing the previous human cast all grown up, was the icing on the cake that really drew it all together.

8. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    The toys WERE very good.

The series (from what I saw) did some parts well, others not as well.

Starscream was the thing that got me to watch the episodes I did watch, as everyone loves a Starscream getting power story.

9. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I didn't watch much of Cybertron. Cartoon Network made it had to watch regularly, and I didn't think much of the voices. I still can't stand Chalk as Prime, and Scattorshot's kentucky backwoods drawl was just jarring.

I did watch Galaxy Force, though. It wasn't bad, but I'm really not fond of the CG/cell mix. Chromia was a useless character. I still don't understand why Megatron wanted to destroy the universe. That was just weird.

The toys were great. The Autobots deffinitely got most of the better designs. So many of the Decepticons just didn't apeal to me. The planet keys really should have been replaced with buttons or switches, where apropriate.

10. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

Is it mandatory to hate g1 if u like the new stuff?...i think cybertron was quite horrable myself pretty much everything after beast machines was imo. but to have beast wars and bm and then go into rid and then aec stuff is just a slap in the face. as for g1 its good for nestaliga(i know i spelt that wrong..)but its not so great ether but a like it a lot better then cybertron. i hope the new show will be good. as for the toys well i like all the toys........MUST GET MOREEEE....

11. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

Despite the fact that the cartoon had ridiculous Earth accents (i.e. Metroplex, Quickmix, and Menasor talking in Scottish accent, and others) and being aired in the wee hours of the morning, I really liked the series. The toy line was no doubt really good. My brother and I were amazed by the design and the concept of the cyber keys. I ended up buying my brother lots of Cybertron figs like Prime, Megs, Leobreaker, Nemesis Breaker, Wing Saber, etc... I would rank Cybertron as the best of the Unicron Series, followed by Armada, then Energon. I only hope that Animated can do better than Cybertron. :D 

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Where would i be without Cybertron/Galaxy Force. I mean after Beast Wars it's probably the best series so far. The charecters were much better developed. The charecters were a hell of a lot more likeable than Energon's. My Favs were Vector Prime, Hotshot, Crosswise, Galvatron, Scourge, Ransack, Crumplezone and Soundwave. The key gimmick is fun, simple and usually made the toys better. The V.A was not bad for the show, Well it was a improvement over Armada and Energon, The accents were actually good well atleast IMO. They tried hard with the show and the toys but it looks like it wasn't enough.

Bring on Animated.

13. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only TF Series I ever found really hard to watch was Beast Machines. I really liked Cyberton/Galaxy Force. Also the Transformers IMHO were the best of the Unicron Trilogy.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Awesome_ness!

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    great designs, even greater packaging and the bios, omg, have u read the bios? theyre gold.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The show sucked horribly (Not that G1 was any better). So much potential ruined. The toys, (sans a few) sucked too pretty much. Especialy compared to RID and BW, it was then that Hasbro finally chose quantity over quality. (Though that really started when the "We really do care" things dissapeared off boxes)

Cybertron just sucked in general.

17. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

The toys were ok.
    The show sucked big time.

18. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hardly ever watched the cartoone, but if was like Energon or Armada, you had to wade through a lot of annoying anime stuff until you got to something great, like Megs and Prime's battle at the end of Armada. The writing was kiddified, but still made more sense then most G1 episodes and didn't have the same level of continuity errors.

That being said, it has to be my favorite toy line. It had some of the best molds that finally brought the best of almost each series. The funny thing is that I bring in TF's to work all the time, and I have a lot of people comment on them when they go by my desk. Anyways, nothing has gotten more attention then Cybertron Optimus Prime, all decked out. Even standing next to Movie Leader Prime, he just looks like a force to be reckoned with. Definitely one of the best Primes, and that's saying a lot.

19. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I liked Galaxy Force (the Japanese version of Cybertron), probably because it was just a different continuity in all. The voices were great, the animation was mind-blowing, and the final battle between Galaxy Convoy and Master Galvatron was masterfully done. Sure, there were some arcs that were longer than needed (Speedia arc, for at least TEN FRIGGIN' EPISODES), and there were some characters who barely showed a little more personality (Live Convoy, Autovolt, Roadstorm, Dino Shout, Tera Shaver), but hell, some of the more prominent characters had more personality.

Voicebox's dubbing, made Cybertron utter crap. If Hasbro wanted to tie this show into Armada and Energon, they should have redone Cybertron from the ground up. Takara shouldn't have even made Galaxy Force, knowing that Hasbro would somehow tie it to the two previous shows. Or, what Hasbro COULD have done, is do what Takara did with Galaxy Force: Make it a new continuity. But no, Hasbro decided to be total jackasses and have Unicron play yet ANOTHER vital role in another show that pretty much didn't even NEED Unicron. Another thing that pissed me off about Cybertron was the final episode, "Beginning." They plastered the Armada kids, the Street Action Minicons, Kicker, and Energon Hot Shot in the final scene, where the Autobots take off to explore new planets. That was the problem: they SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE THAT. And may I ask WHY Energon Hot Shot is there with Kicker when there's ANOTHER Hot Shot running around? Shouldn't it be Energon Ironhide along with Kicker? The two started off hating each other, but by the end of Energon, they're friends. So I don't see why Hasbro had to put in Energon Hot Shot, so his presence there is gonna start some confusion. Two Hot Shots in the same place. Way to fuck up yet ANOTHER show, Hasbro.

I'm actually surprised some of the members here didn't like the Cybertron kids. They helped the Autobots build their Earth base in ONE DAY, they helped them find the Omega Lock, hell, they've pretty much helped out. And I don't see this bullshit about the kids telling the Autobots what to do. That kind of thing was what the Armada kids did. The Cybertron kids were smart, and stayed out of battle. Coby had his mechanical genius, Lori was...well, she could intimidate any Transformer (the episode "Ambush" being a prime example of Lori getting her way), and Bud was...well, really annoying. But at least he helped out too. I just wish Bud was voiced differently, especially in "Guardian." Bud's voice was just weird when he said to Vector Prime, "Vector Prime! Let me shake your hand!" It sounded off, like he would heighten his voice at every other word he said. But other than that, the kids were ok.

The voices were just AWFUL. Seriously, Voicebox, did we REALLY need a plethora of accents coming from the Transformers? Let's go over the entire list of Transformers with accents:

Backstop-Jamaican
    Crosswise-German
    Hot Shot-Sounds exactly like Rad *Shivers*
    Jetfire-Australian
    Lugnutz-Beatnik/Druggie/Hippie/Pothead/Dusthead (Need I go on?)
    Menasor-Scottish
    Metroplex-Irish
    Mudflap-French
    Overhaul-Sounding a LOT like Landmine
    Quickmix-Irish/Scottish
    Red Alert-British
    Scattorshot-Southern
    Soundwave-A DJ through a synthesizer
    Thunderblast-Valley girl
    Thundercracker-Southern, Larry the Cable Guy

So, I'd pretty much give the Cybertron cartoon a 5 out of 10. Great animation, ok storyline, but somewhat ANNOYING VOICES.

But the toys were awesome. :D 

20. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

The toys were pretty cool. But honestly I think I like Armada as a show better.