Minor/Repaint: Transformers custom battle damaged Hot Rod WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by fafireguy, Jan 9, 2012.

1. fafireguy

fafireguy Leader

this is my first custom ever:D  but still not done [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

help me with your critics

2. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Not a bad start. Keep it up.

3. ironscythe

ironscythe The Critic

News Credits:
    There is such a thing as holding something too close to a camera, you know. Also, I would not so much call this "battle damaged" as I would call it "melted, scorched and shot with a bb gun". It also looks like you spent about ten minutes on it.

See, you should never subject a toy to this and think it will look like anything but a broken toy. Look at some of the real "battle damaged" customs here on the forums, and you'll notice something: None of them look like broken toys. They look like damaged robots. It's not easy, but it is possible to work within the medium of plastic to depict twisted, dented, and cracked metal.

Ultimately, you can't undo what's been done so far, but it's not hopeless. You should be looking carefully at some of the other battle-damaged TF customs here on the forums (I personally think Jin Saotome's stuff is best for this), and examining the techniques used.

Good luck.

4. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Depends on the camera. I can set mine on macro mode and focus on things that are touching the lens. The key is to let the auto-focus do it's job. Then comes the editing. You really have to be able to look at the picture you take and tell yourself, honestly, that it is an accurate representation of what you have in hand.

I can tell the focus on your camera works, the backgrounds are nice and sharp. Set the figure down in a well lit place, aim the camera, press the shutter button half way, wait for the beep, then press it the rest of the way. Since you're using a digital camera, take TONS of shots!!!! I may only post 6-8 pics of the customs I do, but I take close to 20 shots to get them.

When it comes to battle damaging a custom, there are tutorials on how to do it. Also, most of what sells the damage is the paint app that come later.

Keep tyring and learn from as many people as possible.

5. jordy

jordy Banned

News Credits:
    fafire guy don't take what ironscythe says to heart, if this is a first attempt then good on ya as this looks decent for a first attempt. But do follow the tutorials as they are there to help and give better look on figures.

6. booster

booster Active Member

think its a decent attempt fafire guy... your next one will definitely be better... =)

7. fafireguy

fafireguy Leader

well remember this is still a work in progress

8. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

I think it looks pretty good so far for a first attempt. As far as the pics go, just play around with your camera a bit and you'll get it.

9. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

hey man, nice effort for your first. when you do damage apps try to imagine a story before you apply the damage. i mean image roddy fighting galvatron for example and how he got hit or what he was hit with and how hard. This really helps with the damage app locations.

Also if you aren't going to give roddy full paint apps then add washes to him. The wash will flow into all those damage apps and will bring them out. You can use a light shade of blue for the windows, various shades of gray for the legs, and lighter maroon wash colors for the car if you'd like.

10. lenimusprime

lenimusprime Well-Known Member

he says not done calm down

11. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I think it's coming along very nicely!

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think this is a great starting point for an initial custom. There are some areas I really like (such as the burn area on the left leg), and areas I think need some work (the windshield, mainly).

As others have said about the tutorials, it is for this very reason we house those here. Just a few I think that can really help you out:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutor...ring-aging-your-figures-dry-brush-washes.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutor...ng-weathering-painting-tutorial-part-one.html (there are four parts, so be sure to check out all four!)

. . . and the daddy of them: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/214530-how-create-battle-damage-tutorial.html

Also, I HIGHLY suggest photo references of vehicles damaged. Google Images is such a great tool for this NOT to use it! For your windshield, in particular, check out some bashed in windshields, and try to replicate what you see there.

I'll go further to say this: I've seen a lot of "good" customs even from artists with a great reputation have their work a bit "off-center", if you will, by shoddy battle damage. Glass breaks a certain way and cracks a certain way - if a windshield just shows a few cracks that aren't made well, it ends up looking "off". Bullet holes, damaged panels, you name it - if it's not done well, it just looks "off".

I'll also add that one of my favorite artists and dear friends, Dan (TTT/theTransTorture), battle-damaged a TON of Tranformers with the heat of other members giving heavy negative opinions before he really hit his stride. It has been quite an honor to be able to say that I remember when he posted his first "battle-damaged" custom, see the responses, and watch him push on through it to become an even more skilled artist. Hopefully, we'll all be able to say the same about you :) 

Thanks so much for sharing your work here; keep it up! :thumb 

13. cnomis

cnomis Well-Known Member

the burns effect look great, but more paint works will make his completion. btw, ur pics re out of focus, it s hard to tell more.

14. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    What ? no personal attacks & insults ? Or no, "how could you ruin a perfectly fine and expensive toy ?" comments ?
    No wild theories on how fictional space robots do or don't get damaged or how injuries do or don't occur in combat situations ????...my this place has changed :D 

As a wip all I can say is follow the links SQ7 provided and do what you feel up to, best advice I can pass on is do not use an open flame - it always ends up looking like melted plastic.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012