Transformers Crossover: ya know what would rock?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheCuddlyDevil, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Yeah but think about it from a kid's standpoint who can create his own stories from it. Like my Symbiote possessed big daddy remark. Kids will think they look cool, and as they play make up their own stories as to why and get their brain working more and more creatively. While sports may teach discipline, stamina, strategy and teamwork, toys teach creativity, thinking and potentially writing or drawing. I know for me as a kid it was always various epic battles of whatever. Sometimes from comics, or toon, but mostly new stories and events that unfolded.

2. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    Yes, that's true. But I'm 26, and I can readily perceive it as a brand expansion tactic by hasbro to amalgamate their two toy properties of marvel and transformers. Kids will buy any toys that appeal to them of course.

But put it this way: When i see a Universe Galvatron on the shelf...I know the history behind that and I want to buy it. There's some lore behind the characters...I appreciate that and know that almost anything bearing a G1 character's name has origins stretching back to the early-mid-80's. I like that aspect.

For crossover items...that's totally lost to me. There's no "connect" with the figures. To me I see more a marvel character that can transform...there's no precedent for that in any of the comics, so there's no "lore" or what have you.

When kids see a transforming iron man or the universe galvatron, they could care less about that kind of stuff, which is supposed to happen. Parents who buy them for their kids could care less as well. The actual figures may be fantastic...I have no idea. This is what the kids want...this is directly related to what you mentioned in your post.

But I don't buy into the concept at all and don't find it appealing. Kids will buy it to play with and use their imaginations and such...but we as adult collectors and admirers don't buy the toys for the same reasons kids do, and for those reasons, I don't like the line.

as i mentioned i'd buy a Galactus/Unicron crossover...because quite simply, that makes "perfect sense". I know the histories and origins of both characters, so I'd be convinced by the idea.

Just a little more on it...Venom used to be my favorite comic character when i was in 5th grade. Now I see a transforming venom and my first thought is "what the hell...that's not Venom at all, just a gimmick by hasbro".

Again it's mainly because I'm familiar with the histories of both the transformers and the comic characters...and when i see them combined, i see an adulterated amalgamation that is less than either of the parts that comprise it.

That's just my opinion. I may be in the minority but I can't really appreciate them.

3. Armorhide

Armorhide Damn kids

I would love to see vile from megaman X in crossovers.

4. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Yeah, GI joe vehicles that transform into Transformer characters and can hold 25th Joes in vehicle mode.

5. Reflector Unit

Reflector Unit Cameracon

You know what kinda crossover I'd like? Transformer Xevoz :D 

Of course, this requires Xevoz to come back...

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I see a thread asking if we knew what would rock.

The opening post mentions Final Fantasy, worse Final Fantasy VII.

I was greatly disappointed and horrified.

Now I would like to see more from the Crossovers line, as it is an interesting concept that could provide for some interesting figures. However, I don't see the line expanding much further than it has, with Star Wars and Marvel, as both toy properties are handled by Hasbro.

7. TheCuddlyDevil

TheCuddlyDevil Well-Known Member

To be honest though I think a story is important I don't think it's vital to a toy. It certainly wouldn't deter me from buying a good toy.

I see a thread asking if we knew what would rock.

The opening post mentions Final Fantasy, worse Final Fantasy VII.

I was greatly disappointed and horrified

lol well I'm sorry, I can't help it. I love FF7 :p 

8. Deadend

News Credits:
    I'm 24, and I see the random connections they can do within the line easily while knowing eaches history. xD So I guess that's just me.
    Now there are some I don't get, but marvel has set precedent before for things like this in their Manga Comic heroes that Ben Dunn and Fred Perry did. You also have various aspects of Stark himself for the Ironman Related ones. As for venom and carnage though, no one's ever covered if the symbiotes can feed off of cybertronians. So those work to me. But otherwise I get what your saying, but in america, toys aren't made for collectors in mind. They are towards kids. Now in other areas of the world that might be different. While I do see a blatant marketing ploy, I see one that has some great benefits to it for expansion and creativity. Now if these actually turned into 'organic' heroes. Then I'd be worried, but as they are mechanized versions. It's more like mech's the heroes are using, or mechs that became allspark infused, which just works for me.

So in a way they are still respecting the history, while pushing new ideas and creativity forward. Though some of them are odd, but hey, no line is entirely perfect. As I've mentioned with venom before, considering his comic history of bouncing between new hosts as of late, it'd be interesting to see him possess a movie bot. With spiderman 3 just passing by as well, he's a perfect character to get the experimental treatment with. As is Stark if he ever got his hands on TF tech. In my head, these all can make perfect sense just using that in regard as stark makes many of the avengers tech, just as Richards could toy with it for the Fantastic Four side. Granted Torch is one of the ones that bugs me.

Change always makes history buffs worry till it itself becomes part of the history. Every GL suit change, Superman's, Spidey's, even Batman has all caused the same reactions of 'breaking history by change' followed by complaints. At least these are only toys and not adapted to anything as of yet, though they could rather easily too. To be frank, I'd rather work with an imaginary version of the marvel U becoming allspark infused, than even try touching brand new day, civil war, and the oodles of retconning that's coming to pave the way for cap's movie. Marvel's 'history' is so convoluted, I rather applaud Hasbro for doing this to keep the interest in these characters alive during this bereft of craziness.

9. TheCuddlyDevil

TheCuddlyDevil Well-Known Member

I agree.

>.>

10. Deadend

News Credits:
    Stargate ones would really rock though.
    Atlantis, 302s, PuddleJumpers, G'ould ships, even Daedelus.
    I'd eat those up in a heartbeat. Especially a Stargate former itself.

11. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah we just have diff opinions of it then, that's fine. I can see the novelty of it being appealing...but personally I don't like the idea of a transforming venom, and tony's tech is so far beyond an f22 that it's just borderline absurd to imagine him transforming into one (disregarding the fact that tony transforms at all). Doom uses sorcery second only to dr. strange, why would he transform? etc. etc. but then again as you mentioned the stories are so convoluted they may ultimately go down some radical route just to keep the characters fresh...personally that's why right now i mainly read only stories that have cosmic characters/entities in them...they've got a real "mythological" feel to them and are hardly ever retconned, discounting the whole beyonder fiasco.

anyway as i mentioned kids don't/won't care that spider-man turns into a bicycle of wolverine transforms into a back hoe. and as a toy line, the crossovers are clearly marketed specifically towards young kids, whereas something like universe and animated also take the collector in mind with various homages and references and what not, basically things that a 5 year old kid would definitely have no personal experience in, or understand.