Transformers Continuum is out as of today... no longer just a preview...

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Boo, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    ...which just means that we have a full 32 pages of bullcrap instead of just 6.

Yikes, it was bad. Mindblowingly bad. I don't think there was a single page in the book that did not have at least one error on it, whether large or small. Simply pathetic. So many things were left out and so many things simply change... for whatever reason.

For instance:

Jimmy Pink? Yeah, never mentioned. Apparently retconned out as all instances where he was there were Verity and Hunter omit him and only mention "the two humans".

The Machination? Yeah, figment of our imagination. Scorponok was working with Skywatch the whole time, and they are the ones that kidnapped Hunter and Sunstreaker and created the Headmasters.

Just... a total mess.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...Ugh. Do IDW actually want to lose the license? If they keep putting out crap they'll end up bleeding readers out of their ears. (I was one but I gave up after reading the first few issues of AHM and seeing how awful it was)

3. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    It also says the Autobots believed Sunstreaker and Hunter died, and thus did not look for him, despite the fact Ironhide, Ratchet, Verity and Jimmy's search for them was half of Escalation's plot.

Apparently Spotlights: Nightbeat, Hot Rod, Sixshot, Kup, Soundwave and Optimus Prime aren't covered at all.

4. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I've tried to be kind, and to be positive where I can...

Given that IDW is about to start a new ongoing monthly Transformers series, and given that they’ve published a good number of Transformers comics in the past four years, it makes sense to offer readers a book like Continuum. This one-shot comic does two things. It sums up “the story so far…” including events from the various mini-series and spotlights, as well as All Hail Megatron. It also contains a list of all the various mini-series and spotlights in chronological order according, so the new reader (or long time reader for that matter) can accurately place any given story within the fictional history of the Transformers since IDW took over the property.

The book itself is comprised of art from all the various series combined with summaries of events. The art is recycled, but there’s nothing wrong with that given the context of the book as a “historical document” and story summary. The copy itself is new, and it’s here that the book starts to stumble a bit, given that some of the ‘facts’ presented within the summaries conflict with what was seen in the actual comics.

I haven't read every comic published by IDW, but I've read enough to know when some facts have been changed or left out, and it's puzzling. It's not just one or two things, but multiple contradictions with past stories, such as saying that the final battle with Thunderwing took place on Nebulon, when it was actually on Cybertron. There's no mention of Jimmy Pink at all, just Hunter and Verity (though Jimmy makes a cameo in one panel, unidentified). Skywatch and the Machination are confused to the point that the Machination is never even mentioned, and Skywatch is blamed for the kidnapping of Hunter and Sunstreaker. The Autobots are said to believe that both are dead. The book is riddled with errors like this, and it's hard to understand, given that there is only about four years of stories to assimilate and summarize.

I want to be kind here, but I have to be blunt: either author Andy Schmidt made a ton of mistakes while doing his research, or else we're getting some blantant history revisionism here. Either way, I don't really care for the end result.

In short, I appreciate what’s been attempted with Continuum. IDW have built up a lot of continuity and story in a few short years, and it’s bound to be daunting to the new reader. This brief summary of major story points and characters is a good idea, which will hopefully draw in some new readers. On the other hand, it’s a disappointment to the long-time reader like myself when so much of what's in Continuum is wrong. It doesn’t jibe with what’s already been published. IDW gets credit for a good idea, but it looks like they botched the execution. I hate to say that, but sadly it's the case.

5. Boo

Ebay:
    Yeah, either way it's a very bad thing. The crazy part of this is, though, that not only is Schmidt the author here but he's ONE OF THE FREAKING EDITORS! The one they supposedly brought in to fix the messes. So either he's completely incompetant as both or IDW has just decided to totally change a ton of their backstory in one issue... with some really clumsy writing. Either way - YIKES!

Yeah, I agree. The overall concept of Continuum is solid and really necessary. Necessary not just for new readers, but also for those of us who've been reading sice the beginning as a quick reference book. It totally fails, though. It's trash, and it's finally made me decide onceand for all to forget the ongoing. I'm going topick up the Wreckers book, then I'm out, unless IDW gets their act togehter.

6. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    The sad thing about this is, it's ultimately useless to those newer readers who jumped on via AHM or who are interested in the new ongoing comic due to the sheer number of mistakes and contradictions. They'll be going "Wait, why is Spike Witwicky with the guys who kidnapped and tortured Sunstreaker?"

And since old-time readers already know all of this (and are pointing out the errors), what use is this book?

7. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    The thing is, it would actually probably be adequate for a new reader. It got a lot of things wrong, but it would catch someone up on a lot of the backstory fairly quickly.

Why don't they use the fans as a resource? "Unpaid, unmentioned consultant" or something? We know all this stuff forwards and backwards, or some of us do. We could have caught all the errors for them. There are so many that it makes me wonder if they are genuine errors, or if it's genuine revisionism.

Having just gotten back into the comics, I'm not going to let one poor book put me off, but I can certainly understand where you're coming from.

I forgot to mention and give them credit for one other thing: the reading chronology at the back of the book. It's nice to have a list of all the books and the order in which they should be read. I've missed a number of them in the last year, so for all I know some of them might be out of sequence as well, but assuming they aren't, I'm glad to have the list.

8. Boo

Ebay:
    Well, I guess that all depends on where exactly the ongoing goes from here. If this new modified history is actually considered their "Bible" from now on and the screw-ups are treated as "undisputable historical fact" then it will actually be quite useful for newbies. Piss a lot of us long time IDW-verse readers off, yeah, but be perfect for the new guys. Unfortunately, I fear this is the route they're going...

Yeah, in general it seems fairly accurate.

I mean, it seems to place the issues that take place over long periods of time/in multiple time periods at the earliest date mentioned, but eh. For instance, Spotlight Jazz takes place sometime during the early stages of AHM but contains a large section of flashback to way back in the early stages of the Great War... which is where the book isplaced in the chronology. I guess without going into all of the "pages such and such of this issue take place here" and so on... it's the best they can do.

9. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Did they place Spotlight: Ultra Magnus chronologically after maximum Dinobots? Because the events of SL:UM takes place in the 1980s.

10. Boo

Ebay:
    In the script of the book? Yeah, they botched it's location. Totally.

In the "reading chronology" list at the end it seems in just about the right place. Here's the list:

1. Megatron: Origin 1-4
    2. Blurr
    3. SHOCKWAVE
    4. Jazz (eh... I'd personally place it much later, perhaps before AHM, but I see their logic.)
    5. Cliffjumper
    6. Wheelie (See, it starts off right about here...)
    7. Sixshot
    8. Hot Rod
    9. Soundwave
    10. ULTRA MAGNUS
    11. Nightbeat
    12. Infiltration 0-6
    13. Stormbringer 1-4
    14. Kup
    15. Escalation 1-6
    16. Ramjet
    17. Galvatron
    18. Optimus Prime
    19. Blaster
    20. Arcee
    21. Devastation 1-6
    22. Mirage (Doesn't really seem to fit... anywhere.)
    23. Grimlock
    24. Cyclonus
    25. Hardhead
    26. Doubledealer
    27. Sideswipe
    28. Maximum Dinobots 1-5
    29. AHM #15a (Kup's story)
    30. Drift
    31. AHM #25b (Perceptor)
    32. Metroplex
    33. AHM 1-12
    34. AHM 13
    35. AHM 14
    36. AHM 16
    37. The Transformers 1-???

11. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ooh. I was hoping to read this and maybe see something I missed or never knew.

But damn... sounds like the Beast Wars source books all over again

12. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    Yeah the summary of the over all universe is a bit sloppy but I think you guys are exaggerating a bit. I read all of the comics and yeah somethings were left out being they didn't contribute to the over all story like Jimmy Pink.

The only thing I found to be off was Ultra Magnus involvement with Scorponok was explained after he was introduced. Scorponok being joining Skywatch in stead of manipulating them. And Spotlight Jazz should move from #4 to #32 in the timeline seeing Tracks is telling a story about the past.

Other than that I thought it was fine...

13. KAGE

News Credits:
    Magnus is in the right spot because Soundwave's spotlight also takes place during the 80's. (reading chronology - wise)

14. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love how they billed this as the book to bring those who missed these stories up to speed, but after reading this I have no idea what was going on. (And I read all the original books) I understand they had to squeeze 70 issues worth of story into 32 pages, but they should have realized how confusing and a bad idea this would be.

15. Boo

Ebay:

As I said, in the narative of the book, no. It totally not in the correct spot.

When it comes to the list they show at the end of the book, yes, it's correct.

16. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    I swear they took that from the reading lists I've posted over the years :p 

EDIT: Actually a few are out of place. Spotlight: Nightbeat should take place concurrently with Infiltration/Stormbringer, as it ends with Prime asking Nightbeat to head to Earth.

Nah, we ain't, and nah, you're wrong :p 

17. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think it is high time that I finally drop TF comics entirely.

18. Boo

Ebay:

Yeah, you're right, but I think they were just going for general order, not detailed order of events. On this I can't really blame them. They could go into much more detail, like "this page goes here and that book half belongs here in the middle of this series" but then I think it would just be a little too detailed and off-putting. It works for me, I guess.

19. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Uncounted Outlier

News Credits:
    The flashback story in Spotlight: Jazz probably takes place before anything in Shockwave, and ideally should be read somewhere between issues 1 and 3 of AHM.

20. KAGE

News Credits:
    Im not saying the book was spot on, I looked through it like WTF? As I read it I was fine with. It but different strokes for different folks I guess.

As hard on for bashing IDW I've yet to see you point out the wrongs of the series (w/o linking wiki) your always so negative though you expiations to why are very minor to the over all.