Transformers Continuities

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CVprowl, Feb 9, 2011.

1. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

I hope this isnt a can of worms, but i am wondering how many recognized continuities are there in the Tranformers Cosmos? Which are the best to invest my interests in?

I been watching most of Energon and Cybertron and these stand out to me as being pretty bad.

is that the general feeling towards them or are they popular versions of the transformer story?

overall which continuity do you regarded as the best and why? Which do you consider the worst? why?

what are some other continuities you especially like?

My opinions...

Best: Its a tough call but i really love TFA, Transformers Animated. Its clever and cool and it really grew on me after watching it a bunch with my wife and son.

Special mention: Of course G1 will always be special to me. it has aged very well id say.

Special mention: IDW Infiltration, i just read the first tpb but i like this continuity a lot so far.

Worst: Energon.

I havent seen beast wars, or armada, and i havent read any of the marvel comic run. i guess there was a dream wave run as well. how was that? is it worth buying?

prime was cool so far, im not totally sold on the animation. war for cybertron seems real nice. i havent played it yet.

dont forget the bayverse. : )

have i at least mentioned them all?

2. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Off the top of my head:

G1 (cartoon)
    G1 (Marvel US)/G2 (Marvel US)
    G1 (Marvel UK - which also includes Marvel US)
    G1 Ladybird Series (UK exclusive - a rather unique continuity)
    G1 Tech Specs (different in various ways from both comic and cartoon)
    G2 UK
    Beast Wars (cartoon, probably also includes recent IDW mini-series)
    Beast Machines
    Robots in Disguise
    Armada (cartoon) / Energon (cartoon / Cybertron (cartoon) (I've never seen these, but understand they're all in the same continuity)
    Armada (Dreamwave comic series) / Energon (Dreamwave comic series)
    Armada (UK comic series)
    G1 (Dreamwave series, inc. War Within)
    G1 (IDW continuity, of which "Infiltration" is a part)
    Movie-Verse
    UK Movie-Verse comics (most take place in a parallel universe where the Decepts win at the end of Movie I)
    Animated
    Prime

...and there are probably many more I've forgotten. But this should give you an idea of how much is out there...

and it doesn't even include toy-exclusive lines like Classics, Alternators, Machine Wars etc, or Japanese continuities.

As for my favourite? Easy - G1 Marvel UK, what I will always consider the "definitive" telling of the G1 saga.

Worst? Hard to say. I don't watch any of the cartoons (more a toy and comics fan) so can't really comment. The "Energon" comic was, in my opinion, below the standard set by the "Armada" one.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh man, if we want to get really picky with multiple timelines and every contradiction, we'll be here forever

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    to each his / own... take each on their own merits... and think & judge for yourself and don't let Hasbro or some wiki tell you how to perceive something.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Others can delve into TF fiction's numerous continuities better than I. I'll just state that I love the Marvel G1 comics the best, with Beast Wars and TFA deserving special mentions. Worst in my book would be the Movie continuity (just the films; a lot of the comics are pretty decent) and the Sunbow G1 cartoon.

6. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

see,thats cool, im thinking about trying out the og marvel run eventually. i have enjoyed the ogmarvel gi joe recently.

if beastwars continues to get acclaim on this thread ill pick it up for my son. im sure hell like beasts cause he loves animals. i just want to know its not another energon.

7. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    You'd do well to do Beast Wars.

My personal continuity favours the UK / US comics leading into the movie, all the UK stuff post movie, the 86 animated movie and then Beast Wars as a distant sequel, but I consider it to be maybe a million years after the events of the G1 series, rather than the 300 years the OTFCC comics decided upon.

As a self-contained continuity with loads of reverential references to every preceding series you really can't beat TFA, and it's quite a contained toyline to collect if you feel so inclined.

TF: Prime is shaping up quite nicely.

8. Lord Shockwave7

Lord Shockwave7 Xbox Live Dictator

I would recomend G1 through Beast Machines, if you could I would try to throw the Japanese G1 shows in there so that you get a more expansive veiw of the G1 universe. Stick to the shows though, they all make up a single story over several series with each having a unique style. The comics for IDW where good too, but you must remember that The TV shows G1-BM were combined but are not connected to any of the comics.

Here's a list of how to keep them together and the best way to watch them.

1. G1 (I would get the new dvd's unless you have seen them already)
    2. G1: Headmasters (Youtube. the dvd's are rare.)
    3. G1: MasterForce (same)
    4. G1: Victory (same)
    5. Beast Wars (I would just watch on youtube unless you have the money to get the DVD's) (also Beast WarsII and BW Neo go in between seasons 1 and 2)
    6. Beast Machines (Youtube. but you can still get the dvd set for 30$ or so)

9. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i love TFA. these are my sons. : )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

huh, i didnt know g1 continued after sunbow. ill check out headmasters and see what its like. im not a fan of what happened to gi joe when they left sunbow though... : P

11. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

would they be on you tube? are they in japanese? subtitled? do they fall during the time/with the characters of the sunbow run?

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    A lot. TF Wiki is a good resource to help you out. Multiverse - Transformers Wiki and Universal Stream - Transformers Wiki to give you a hint.

:lolol  :lolol  No, they, along with Armada are called the Unicron Trilogy and are generally regarded as the worst of the TF cartoons.

Well, clearly you have some taste then. :wink: 

They are on YouTube, subtitled, they ignore Rebirth and take place after season three. You can also find them on sites like Veoh.

There is, with some looking the incredibly bad english dub of the show, called the omni or star dubs, which are mostly good for their comedic content, as while they are official, they were also not done as english versions for english speaking countries, but english translations for english speaking residents of Singapore and the like. The acting, character name, and names for other things are quite bad, which results in most of the comedy. Roadimus Prime talks to Sparkle about the Power Pack from inside Phillip (Rodimus Prime talks to Spike about the Matrix from inside Metroplex). English Headmasters - TF Wiki

13. Vla

Vla Well-Known Member

I like mostly Japanese series, especially AEC. Energon (precisely, its original 'Superlink' version) is the best for me. Really.

The worst is Bayformers, Animated and Prime. Because TF in them looks extremely ugly. To see such style is unbearable for me. Besides, I'm not very interested in American shows. Also, the Bayformers have extremely stupid plot.

14. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The "main" continuities are:

G1/G2/BW/BM
    RID
    AEC
    Movie
    Animated
    Shattered Glass
    Prime

The Japanese shows aren't mentioned because, well, they're G1. No need to treat them differently.

Shattered Glass is included because it's not just another minor variation of the G1 theme. The characters are nothing like their G1 bios.

15. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    My favorite continuties so far:

G1 Cartoon (I'll get around to digging up the Marvel run someday)
    Animated
    Prime

I'll be checking out Beast Wars once the new DVD sets hit.

16. Sky-Byte

Sky-Byte Armada Fan

Exactly. I like WFC, but it doesn't matter how much Hasbro tries to shove it and Prime down my throat as official, I don't accept it as the official continuity.

17. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i just run with multiple realities so i dont worry about one canon.

for example: in joeverse scarlet could hook up with snake eyes, duke, ripcord, or shipwreck if the mood is right. not cause shes a sl*t, just cause of the buttefly effect or whatever. : )

18. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same and the on and off reading of Marvel US comics when I was a kid. I am trying to expand my horizons but it's hard watching the cgi mix animation of the unicron trilogy and weird style of animated. I'm trying though!

I've also tied wfc game (not the exodus book) into my g1 continuity.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Favourite Continuity: G1 Cartoon to BM, Cybertron (If it stood out on it's own), G1 comic, Animated, Shattered Glass and Prime/WFC/Exodus.

Least Favourite: Armada/Energon and RiD.

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Continuity:

Best: G1 in animation and comics, US, UK, Japan

Worst: A toss up between Kiss Play and Animorphs. At least Kiss Play had the better Transformers.