Transformers Continuities

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Thundershot, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm trying to compile the variations of TF continuities.. I'm not counting G.I. Joe crossovers or alternate branches like the various UK stories. These seem to be the main ones...

Generation One (G1), Robots in Disguise (RID), Unicron Trilogy (UT), Animated, Shattered Glass, Movie 2007, Transtech, and Prime.

G1 -> Cartoon -> Rebirth -> Decent into Evil -> Dawn of Future's Past -> Beast Wars -> Beast Machines -> Universe
    G1 -> Wings of Honor -> Cartoon -> Rebirth -> G2 Redux
    G1 -> Cartoon -> Japanese G1 -> Beast Wars -> Beast Wars 2, Beast Wars Neo
    G1 -> Marvel G1 -> Marvel G2
    G1 -> Marvel UK G1 -> Movie 1986 -> Marvel UK Future
    G1 -> Marvel G1 -> Classicsverse
    G1 -> Dreamwave G1
    G1 -> IDW G1
    G1 -> Hearts of Steel
    G1 -> War for Cybertron

RID

UT -> Armada Cartoon -> Energon Cartoon -> Cybertron Cartoon -> FP Fiction
    UT -> Armada Comic -> Energon Comic -> Cybertron Cartoon -> FP Fiction

Shattered Glass

Transtech

Movie -> ROTF -> TF3
    Movie -> IDW Comics -> ROTF -> IDW Comics -> TF3

Animated

Prime

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    There's not really a point to counting the Beast Machines -> Transtech continuity, as Transtech never actually got farther than a few pieces of concept art and resin prototypes. If the story was never aired, then it's not exactly canon, ya know? So just going from BM straight to Universe is suitable, as there's no difference between that one and the other

3. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Ha, that's funny, I was JUST thinking about that this morning, wondering how many "universes" or distinct continuities there have been so far.

I think got most of them. What about toy-only continuites like Binaltech, Alternity or... gulp... KISS? Do you consider those one-shots? Their fiction is thin and pieced together from toy bios, but they do have a fiction!

4. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

You may or may not include the novels Ghosts of Yesterday and Veiled Threat.

But in terms of on-screen canon.

Movie -> ROTF -> TF3

Because the plot tends to be moot and contradictory once a new movie is made.

Also with War for Cybertron and Transformers: Exodus these are parallel continuities using similar devices (Zeta Prime, Dark Energon etc) yet are different continuities due to their plot.

5. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I took out the G1 Transtech. I'm not quite sure where WFC goes, since it seems to be yet another G1 derivative. I think the only things I can't find a home for is the Botcon 2005 story set and Machine Wars. Alternators/Binaltech is after the G1 season two and it's own thing from there, right? Kiss Players would be another G1 version..

When I said no "one shots" I meant the GI Joe Crossovers and all of the Hearts of Steel type stories.

So just guessing...

G1 -> Cartoon (season 2) -> Alternators/Binaltech -> Beast Wars (Since Alt Battle Ravage IS BW Ravage)
    G1 -> Cartoon -> Movie 1986 -> Kiss Players
    G1 -> ????? -> Machine Wars (though I'd love the club or someone to pick up on Machine Wars and make it its own continuity...

How should I add those three in? And what about Decent into Evil? Is it supposed to be after Beast Machines? Before Beast Wars? After Victory? *falls over*

6. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Wow. Look at the milage G1 has gotten. Not bad for such a low quality entity that has long been dead.

7. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, after looking at it more, Decent into Evil looks like it fits in between Rebirth and Beast Wars...

Crap. I forgot about the Japanese BW stuff... <goes to edit>

8. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Descent into Evil isn't the G1 Cartoon continuity. It -might- fit into the Wings of Honor continuity, but that would imply that BW is still going to happen in the future of that continuity (and, maybe it is!). The DiE continuity takes place right as the Maximal/Predacon factions are coming to fruition, and most of the toys/characters that were used in DiE (Deathsaurus, Virulent Clones, Outback), have been referenced in WoH. DiE also may or may not include Japanese continuity, based on Deathsaurus and Leozack being in WoH.

(basically, the original intention for DiE was that it be its own mini-continuity. When asked if it fit in with Dawn of Future Past, since they're both BW-related and both use Airazor, FunPub claimed at the time that no, they aren't meant to be the same continuity. However, since then, FunPub has made use of the DiE stuff in WoH, so it might be that now they want to include it in their own little universe, which is what WoH might be to them)

Machine Wars, simply put, has no storyline. All the characters are G1 guys, and there's never been any fiction dealing with them being in those particular bodies.

WFC is, probably, a "new" G1. Its characters seem to be their G1 counterparts (unlike, say, Animated where the names are the same but the bots aren't), but set in a completely different origin. So, it might be one of the few times you could legitimately use the term "reboot" in the blender that is Transformers continuity. (though, the IDW series is also a reboot of G1).

Alternators is an alternate version of the G1 cartoon continuity, and at its conclusion, 2 things happen: one, the story warps back to before it happened, undoing its events and going back to the cartoon. 2, the events occur in an alternate timeline which results in the beginning of the Alternity continuity

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    There's almost always room for interpretation and a ton of continuities and microcontinuities. That said:

G1 (toon) -> Binaltech -> Alternity

G1 -> Beast Wars/Beast Wars Metals -> Beast Wars II -> Beast Wars Neo -> Car Robots

10. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Jesus Christ. My head hurts

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^This sums everything up.

Why can't we believe every continuity starts from G1. I mean Animated's video archive fottage is from G1 and Cybertron had a seen with the "Elders" which were G1 Optimus Prime, Rodimus, Ultra Magnus and Jazz. Plus WFC was also intended to be a Prequel to G1 cartoon.....despite the many plotholes

12. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Because G1 isn't even consistent with itself.

13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Which is why you don't need to remove WfC from G1.

14. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 is a foundation, but the many "core" continuities are completely different. You can't tell me that the Primes from G1, RID, AEC, Animated, Shattered, and Movie are the same.

15. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Actually, FunPub's stance is that Shattered Glass -is- set in the G1 multiverse. SG is one of the many "Primax" streams in Transtech, except that it's a negative polarity stream. (Presumably, this means that the other multiverses could have their own SG streams, so long as any of theirs turn out to be negative. Though, oddly, Armada Demolishor is in the G1 SG)

16. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    There's also

G1 -> Marvel U.S. G1 -> Rhythms of Darkness future
    G1 -> 1986 Animated Movie -> Marvel U.K. G1 -> Marvel U.K. G1 post Time Wars rewritten future

17. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, I still protest that line of thinking. You're telling me it's only a coincidence that Jazz in animated is also a smooth talking white sports car who digs earth culture and loves music?

Not the same bots my tail rudder.

18. MrSoundwaveGuy

News Credits:

Animated Jazz is heavily inspired by G1 Jazz but Animated Jazz is a different character and exists in a different, non G1, universe

19. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Existing in a different universe does not make one a different character.

20. MrSoundwaveGuy

News Credits:
    And sharing similar characteristics with G1 Jazz doesn't make Animated Jazz the same character. Movie Optimus Prime believes in freedom for all sentient beings, as does G1 Optimus so by that logic would that mean they're the same characters?