Transformers cominc book Info

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I saw on this bookstore online its called Indigo.ca and i saw those transformers books and i would like to know if their the original comics:

Classic Transformers

contribution by: Andrew Wildman, Geoff Senior, Frank Springer .

IDW Publishing

2. Thyme

Thyme Disciple of Yun-Harla

My guess would be this Trade Paperback is a reprint of the original comics.

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    IDW, from time to time, will re-publish old Marvel and Marvel UK Transformers comics in to trade-paperbacks, usually having a story-arch or two involved in the make up of the TBP.

Around Issue 53/54/55, the Marvel US creative team behind Transformers decided to move on, and the Marvel UK creative team was used to write Marvel US stories (hence Simon Furman taking over for Bob Budiansky, Geoff Senior and Andrew Wildman doing the artwork). A lot of people will say, justifiably, that Simon Furman's best works in Transformers were the last 20 issues of the Marvel US Transformers comic.

Pick some up if you get a chance - you won't be disappointed.

4. Anthony _aggro

Anthony _aggro Platypus prime

Ebay:
    The classics ones I saw on this site are the IDW reprints. The Titan ones are probably better. I have the last four that cover the Furman stuff.

5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also, am I right in thinking that the Titan reprints include the Circuit Breaker issues but the IDW reprints do not? I've never really looked at the IDW trades, and I've often wondered how the story reads with so much of the story missing.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Quoted for truth. Furman at his best in those issues.

7. Anthony _aggro

Anthony _aggro Platypus prime

Ebay:
    That sucks if it is true. I do not have any of the IDW G1 classics collections.

I know that the individual issues that they released were more character oriented and not very representational of the G1 story arc as a whole.

Circuit Breaker played an important role in the series as a whole as a representation of Humanities blind hatred towards the Transformers, which was eventually turned around from an obstacle against the Autobots into a Tool for the greater good in their climatic time of need.

Maybe Marvel still holds the right to Circuit Breaker and would not release those issues to IDW. Remember, the Neo-knights, which included Circuit Breaker (which I liked better as a stand alone character in the early G1 issues), were supposed to get their own series, but it never happened, so possible Marvel is retaining those in case they change their mind on it, or just have spite against losing the License to TFs outright from DW in the first place. Remember, Dreamwave had to sue Marvel in order to get the rights to Transformers.

8. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have all the IDW Classics TF Volumes numbers 1-6.. It's only been in the earliest #'d issues that you have some "blanks" and/or "blacked out" artwork. Circuit Breaker is a good example, the comics where she appears are usually just with her figure blacked out and the comic continues on...in 1 or 2 cases the actual graphics were replaced with an outline of what occurred. It's done well enough you still can follow the comic and storyline without feeling too deprived. :D 

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  9. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Marvel does still hold the rights to Circuit Breaker, as she made her first appearance in Secret Wars II #3, which came out the month before Transformers #9. Marvel did this on purpose, as their contract with Hasbro stated that any original character who was introduced into the Transformers comic would be the property of Hasbro. To get around this, in order to own the Circuit Breaker character, Marvel put her in the other comic first.

The Neo-Knights, as far as I know, are owned by Hasbro because they first appeared in the Transformers comic.

As for Dreamwave suing Marvel, I don't recall this. It's my understanding that their license to produce Transformers comics had long expired, the various comic companies made pitches to Hasbro, and Hasbro awarded the license to Dreamwave.

It must make for a bizarre reading experience, but at least they don't omit the entire issue. Does her name appear in dialogue or do they black that out too?

10. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

The IDW Publishing Transformers: Classic Transformers has only 6 issues? if so what continues after issue 6?

11. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    The IDW Classics series has summaries for the following issues: 3,9,22,23,45. so only 5 issues out of 80. Having read the entire set through multiple times I haven't missed them and the best issues of the series are in vol 4, 5 and 6 anyway. The IDW set is really nice imo. It has all the covers, the 4 issue headmaster series, some character bios and the '86 movie issue series. If you can track all 6 volumes down for a reasonable price I say go for it.

12. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

IDW also has the 86 movie comic aswell does it has the same story as tghe movie or we see a different story as we know it

13. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Circuit Breaker made an appearance on the last page of #21. What does the IDW series do about that page?

As for what they leave out, it's a shame #22 gets summary status. The only issue where the Stunticons really do anything.

14. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In TFW Classics Volumes 1 & 2 mostly are the ones that have the "black out" issues.. and no it didn't make reading them a big deal or weird. It may not be solely a Marvel/Dreamwave/IDW thing, it may be the character itself. When you have the IDW Classics volumes they have the outline and the why they couldn't show that paticular graphic, but iirc all the dialogue, including hers were there... it may bother you, it may not, but I had no trouble following the story and didn't miss anything as far as I can tell.

To answer the 2nd post..I would presume VOLUME 7 ;) 
    Actually IDW is bundling several issues (8-10 ea) with each TF Classic Volume released. That may not have been clear in my other post as the member I answered seemed to know the volumes contained several issues. :) 

As far as I know they will continue to release Classics Volumes as they print them. I would expect to see another release soon actually..it's been a few months since I purchased Vol. 6. You can either check IDW website or Amazon.com, that's where I buy most of mine because my local bookstores were hit or miss on certain volumes.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  15. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

The Transformers Marvel Comics are they pricey??