Transformers Comics IDW

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by derbyhat7, Oct 27, 2009.

1. derbyhat7

derbyhat7 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have a few questions that some of you might be able to help me with. I have every issue of 2002 Transformers More Than Meets The Eye G1 (I believe that is the title), all of Infiltration, a couple of Escalation, and Hearts of Steel. I want to read all of the stories connected, I know I have seen before books with all comic series together to tell the full story.
    1. What are all the comic series connected to the 2002 More Than Meets The Eye Series and is there a book with all stories/comics?
    2. What are all the comic series connected to infiltration and escalation and and is there a book with all stories/comics?
    3. What are all the comic series connected to Hearts of steel and is there a book with all stories/comics?
    4. Any other stories recommended (I know All Hail Megatron is supposed to be awesome, so when they finish the series I will wait for the book).
    4. Overall goal for this post: I want to read all of the stories, without having to purchase every single issue (I might collect them later), but as of now, just want to read the stories.

2. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

As far as Infiltration and Escalation go, there's also Devastation and Revelation. There's also all the spotlights, Stormbringer, Maximum Dynobots, All Hail Megatron, and All Hail Megatron Coda. The whole story is still continuing on with the new ongoing series coming out, as well as Last Stand of the Wreckers, and the Bumblebee series. Megatron Origins MIGHT be somewhat connected too, though there are some inconsistencies. Though there's inconsistencies in All Hail Megatron as well thanks to Shane McCarthy. But for the most part all those series fit together into one big story. I LOVE the IDWverse story, despite some of the continuity issues mostly from the All Hail Megatron series. Revelation was broken up as Spotlights Cyclonus, Hardhead, Doubledeealer, and Sideswipe.

There usually are Trade Paperbacks for each series. Hearts of Steel was it's own stand alone series. You can check IDWs online store for issues and TPBs (Trade Paperbacks) https://shop.idwpublishing.com/comics/series/transformers.html.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    IDW Publishing - Transformers Wiki

The "More than Meets the Eye" profile books were originally published by Dreamwave. IDW just got the rights to Dreamwave's comics after the latter went bankrupt. So the profile books are connected to the unfinished Dreamwave-verse.

4. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I purchased IDW's TPBs from my local comic book store and Amazon. Here's the order I'd read them in:

Megatron Origins
    Infiltration
    Spotlight V.1
    Stormbringer
    Escalation
    Spotlight V2
    Devastation
    Spotlight V3
    Revelations
    Maximum Dinobots
    AHM issues 1-6
    Spotlight V4
    AHM issues 6-12
    AHM Coda

Just note, the spotlights are sprinkled throughout the entire series, so you might want to check wiki for the proper reading order based on when they were released. I'll be doing a comprehensive review of the entire series thus far in the comics section soon!

5. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    1. The More Than Meets The Eye profile books were created in 2002 by Dreamwave Productions for their comics and are thus generally specific to their comics, stories and events. Dreamwave went bankrupt in 2005, after which IDW Publishing got the rights to Transformers comics, including the right to reprint anything Dreamwave has done. So the MTMTE profile books currently released by IDW has *nothing to do* with IDW's own stories :p 

2. Rough order of reading for IDW's G1 comic books (assuming you are buying trade paperbacks) thus far is:

- Megatron: Origin
    - Infiltration
    - Stormbringer
    - Spotlight Vol 1
    - Escalation
    - Spotlight Vol 2
    - Devastation
    - Spotlight Vol 3
    - Revelation (in reality Spotlight Vol 4)
    - Maximum Dinobots
    - The Last Stand of the Wreckers (to be released early next year)
    - All Hail Megatron Vol 1 & 2
    - All Hail Megatron Vol 3 (in reality Spotlight Vol 5)
    - All Hail Megatron Coda (Vol 4?)
    - The Transformers (ongoing)

As UltraMagnus3786 notes, Spotlights are actually set throughout the series to provide backstory to the main plot, usually.

One way to get ALL of the stories at once is to buy IDW's Transformers Premiere Collection hardcover books. Volumes 1 and 2 cover all books from Infiltration to Revelation with Spotlights Vol 1, 2 and 3. Kinda expensive, though.

3. Hearts of Steel was a stand alone story for what would have been a series of stand alone "What If?"/Elseworlds stories. Apparently it didn't do very well so Evolutions was axed.

4. All Hail Megatron's quality is debatable. The first six issues of Megatron Origin largely have nothing to do with the previous series it is allegedly connected to. 7-12 badly shoe-horns in references and connections to the older stories, and one story in Coda unfortunately changes a significant scene from Devastation to fit the AHM author's desires. I and some other readers were left distinctly unimpressed with this revision of history.

5. Tradepaperbacks and The Premium Collection are your friend. Tradepaperbaks are cheaper than buying issues individually.

6. hrothgars

hrothgars Autobot Scout

Size of Premier Editions?

Are the page sizes of the two The Transformers Premier Collection volumes any larger than the comics or trade paperbacks? I haven't read half of the titles comprising Volume 1 and was thinking that I might otherwise invest in these titles to have them all in one hardcover source, but I would definitely invest in the two volumes if the artwork is larger than the trade paperbacks/comics.

Does anyone know the page size of these titles? Standard or large format comics?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

7. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I believe they are large format comics. I saw one at my local comic shop the other day. It'd make for a great coffee table piece.

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Yes, I own them. They are substantially larger. Think coffee table book sized.

9. hrothgars

hrothgars Autobot Scout

Cool! I'm sold. Thanks!