Transformers comic books

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Whats the difference between the US Marvel comics and the UK Marvel comics? do both have the movie story aswell or the after events?

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    The US series came first, and the US stories were also used in the UK comics, for which I thought they did a nice job of keeping the continuity consistent between the two...at least for the issues I've read of the UK comics.

Two UK stories were reprinted in the US comics (ish #33-34 "Man of Iron"), but I was rather disappointed with them because they disrupted the Blaster/Goldbug-on-the-run storyline in the US comics. And the artwork was completely different too. It was a rather jarring thing at the time for a young fanboy like me because there was no advance notice about the two "filler" issues.

As for your "movie story" question -- the US Marvel comics differed quite a bit in terms of continuity compared with the animated series and TFTM.

The TFTM comics mini series was an adaptation of TFTM, but it was a wholly separate entity from the G1 US comics storyline. Like Prime didn't die until like a year after the events involved in TFTM, and he was killed off because of a freaking video game. Hardly any of the made-for-TFTM characters became established in the comics, except for "Galvatron II" in the alternate universe story (#67) and the single-issue (#43) adaptation of "The Big Broadcast of 2006" TV episode. And Unicron and the alt-universe Galvatron kept popping in the last dozen issues of the G1 Marvel Comics run.

I've only read like a third of the issues for the UK comics, so I don't know how TFTM affected them, but I think it was the same way. They kind of ignored the animated continuity as well.

3. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    There was much goodness after TFTM in the UK books. All the time travel stuff with Cyclonus, Scourge and Galvatron was great. I've only read the UK issues that are out in TPB(and I still have a couple to get), but they are some of my favorite stories. Simon Furman basically blows Budiansky out of the water when it comes to telling a compelling story and once Furman took over the US book it got 10x better.

Here's a good read for you on the UK comics: TFArchive - Transformers Comics - Marvel Comics Guide

4. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

So what do you guys suggest? US issues or the UK issues?

5. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    There is no way I know of to get a complete run of the UK stuff( a good chunk of which was in black and white) short of buying all the vintage books which would probably be really pricey so imo you should start with the US issues. I started with the 6 volume IDW TPBs of the US run and then moved on to the UK TPBs starting with the Omnibus.

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Both. Go for the reprints and trade paperback collections, as Deceptijohn suggested. I loved the US comics series and have spent years slowly buying up back issues of the UK comics.

I found the comics far more enjoyable than the TV series because it offered better characterizations and better stories. Shockwave was awesome in the comics, nothing like the lackey he was portrayed as in the series. Ratchet and Blaster were awesome also, and they were the most unlikely characters to end up being so awesome.