Transformers: Combiner Wars S1:Episode 5

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by jamarmiller, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    **Looks at comments**

Yes...yes...join the side of the fans...

2. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I have been waiting nearly three decades for that to happen to Rodimus.:D .

Great episode show continues, to satisfy me:thumb .

3. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I've seen the title 'S1'. Has this been renewed for a second season?

4. bumblebeej8

bumblebeej8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was better than some of the other episodes but it still had problems.

First off, Megatron is the best part of the show.

Second, I want MoF's hammer taken away just to see if she still would move her arm when talking as slamming the hammer on the ground.

Third, at least we sort of got an idea why Computron and Menasor were fighting.

Fourth, I still hate Windblade, she is pretty bad.

That is really all I can say

5. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    It's official. Megatron is the Eggman of this series. Best lines. Best character portrayal. Best thing in general.

6. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah I want more.

7. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, kind of like what the hell is the enigma of combination (well I can make a fair guess on that) and what does everyone have against combiners.

I'm guessing that much, at least, was dealt with in the comics.

8. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megatron and Starscream are the best written characters in the series and Optimus should have known better than to bring Megatron along.

9. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Banned

I just want to make sure i am following this correctly.
    1.Windblade is urgently trying to destroy the enigma before the council uses it.
    2. Optimus stops her.
    3. Windblade explains about the enigma.
    4. Optimus agrees it must be destroyed immediately.
    5. They go to another planet to convince Megatron to help them.
    6. If Windblade is so mighty and ready to do this on her own, why leave to get Megatron at all?
    7. What happened to the urgency?
    8. Why did the council do absolutely nothing during that time?

What the hell was the council doing while they were gone? Just hanging out on empty cybertron? Starscream got shot while they were planning to use the enigma. Two "episodes" later, they are still just standing on that roof and starscream is totally fine.

10. Soundwave338

Soundwave338 Not Always a Tape Deck

Megatron continues to be my favorite Character, but I have to say the length of these episodes frustrate me. It feels like 5 minutes is just too short.

11. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Not really, this is an entirely different storyline. Think the comic age of ultron and the movie age of ultron, the only things in common are the avengers and ultron.

What the enigma is is covered in the comics, but like I said the story itself is entirely different

12. kastaway

kastaway Well-Known Member

I love this i just wish it was more fleshed out.
    Rodimus says they can't defend themselves. Where are the other transformers? Who are they counciling an empty planet it seems like.
    Where is prowl soundwave and everybody?
    It seems really compact but other than that im diggin it.
    Only 3 segments left?

13. grindcore138

grindcore138 ARF ARF!!!

News Credits:
    My biggest issue with this episode; what the hell is up with the choice of sound effect for the Mistress of Flame's hammer?! I'd have expected, y'know, a proper hefty, echoing, metal-striking-metal *CLANG!*, not that straight up stupid sounding little *doink!*

14. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Actually I'm pretty is sure it was said that Devastation was to be a prequel to this series.

Of course, the fact that Devastation ended with Nova Prime awakening as the Big Bad and on the note that Optimus Prime was going to become Optimus Maximus, its pretty clear that the writers of this weren't aware or (more likely) didn't care.

I just can't believe we're 5/8 episodes in and so very little has happened. Hell, this is the second episode of Combiner Wars to actually feature a combiner and even then its only for 10 seconds! It seems the writers thought they were writing an engrossing political drama and instead just came out with drivel. I also hope they didn't just kill off Hot Rod because I am sick of Hot Rod being the target of "OMGG1WASSOCOOLHOTRODSUCKS" bullshit after Deviations.

So we have 15 minutes total for them to try and create a satisfying story. I think its safe to predict Victorion will come save the day from Devastator, but there's not really a lot of time for anything else to happen. I guess Metroplex is going to show up at some point?

15. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    The news posting is incorrect. Not ALL "international viewers" can access the YouTube video, nor from other outlets. For example, in Japan, all YouTube combiner wars videos are geo-blocked. As usual, just search Google for an online YouTube downloader/viewer/streamer and you will probably be able to view it as an alternative source.

Please could the news mods edit this and/future posts to include "For SOME international/non-US viewers".

Thanks.

16. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    I've read all the IDW books, and I still barely know what's going on.

The war ended, and Prime and Megatron walked away from Cybertron so lasting peace could be achieved, right?

But then Menasor showed up and wrecked Caminus, and Computron was sent to stop him (and at least partially succeeded)?

So the peacetime, ruling council is considering preemptively making more combiners to deal with other potential combiners not in their control (and because they have no other military force)?

And yet the only Combiners we know of are deactivated and in the council's custody, AND they control the only thing that can make more of them. So really their problem is already solved.

But then Optimus gets Megatron to go confront the council, "I'm holding a ion blaster, and am teamed up with the deadliest robot in the history of the universe.... but we're only here to talk!"

And this confirms the council's fears that they're unsafe, right?

It all seems very chicken and egg, on multiple levels, so the plot is almost nonsensical... but the dialogue and characterization has gotten stronger in the last couple of episodes.

It seems like a shame they didn't have a solid story to tell, and instead are just shuffling game pieces around a tiny, circular chess board in 5 minute snippets.

17. donxavier

donxavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These last two episodes have definitely been the best. That's not to hard to say as the others have been just ok. That might have to do with the fact that I don't find Windblade the last bit interesting, never have. However, I feel it might also be that we're five episodes in and it feels like nothing is happening. That seems odd to say because things certainly have happened. However, the problem is that the progression of Combiner Wars seems very mechanical, as if I am watching the tent poles of a story not the actual sorry itself.

I must admit, my favorite moment was what happened to Roddy. That was great, Hasbro! Do it again! Make the next episode nothing but that happening over and over again and we'll have the best episode of the series. Ha!

18. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I cannot stand The Mistress of Flame's voice actress. She is horrendous, and does a horrible job portraying the character. And what happened with Devastator? The writers didn't even provide exposition as to how Devastator was formed.
    Oh well, at least we know that the horribly-characterized Victorion will arrive to ruin the next episode.
    Everything is just falling apart with this series. The only decent thing that came from it was Starscream and Megatron.
    That's the same as saying that MCW takes place after the G1 cartoon. There's too much of a leap in terms of the story for the two to be connected. There would have to be several more games or Webseries' to fill in the blanks.

19. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    Actually 15 minutes is plenty. If you pay attention, in any standard 44 minute tv show,be it Star Trek, Doctor who, Once upon a time, criminal minds, etc. the majority of the action takes place during the final 8-10 minutes. The same rule can sometimes apply to 22 minute shows, but it's generally closer to 6 minutes in that case.

20. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Ancient and knackered

Ye gods. After five episodes, this really is turning out to be a bag of deep-fried crap, isn't it? Even working on the most simple principle - that it's a series of minisodes aimed at selling toys, but directed at the more mature fan of the franchise - CW is a massive bollock, dropped from the highest heights.

Now, I fully accept that this is purely and simply my own humble opine, but let's face a few things square-on...

Budgetary restrictions: ridiculously obvious, even to the most ardent supporter. I'd guess one, possibly two artists at most, given the limited number of character models and barren environments.

Non-existent development timetable: equally obvious, with a high likelihood of a lot of work pulled out of someone's arse at the very last minute - that's the only possible explaination for the atrocious frame rate.

Story framework put together by a crack team of lobotomised stoats with the collective IQ of an empty beer can: check.

Story and character continuity making about as much sense as said team of stoats on crack: double-check. And quite possibly mate.

Episode length too brief to sustain logical story progression: as has been stated umpteen times before by various posters, I refer you to Genndy Tartakovsky's superlative Clone Wars shorts. How to truly distill 'epic' into 3 minutes, repeatedly and consistently.

Whole package suiting its purpose as a support element in a wider marketing campaign for stated products: epic, colossal, mind-crushingly laughable degrees of fail. Bloody hell, Hasbro - if this is the best you honestly thought you could come up with, you'd have been better off not bothering.

Overall: a near-perfect definition of 'disappointment', just because it could have all been so much better. Sure as hell didn't need to be CG, could have done with infinitely tighter storytelling and direction, and as an opportunity to promote the brand via new, exciting animated productions (possibly via Netflix/Amazon Prime or DC's 'straight-to-BD' route), a dismal waste of time, effort and money.

(Will I bother with the last few episodes? Take a wild guess.)