Transformers Combat

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jorod74, Aug 22, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When i first heard about TFtM '07 coming out, i had seen that Breakdancing Soundwave clip till i was blue in the face.
    but i saw his movements and wondered how the fights in the movie would look.

and after watching I am Robot and some of its fight scenes between the robots, i felt a bit let down.

Why can't transformers fight like that?
    They have bodies that lock/unlock parts, can flip around, reposition and just offer endless body movements. it's like they are beyond what we call double jointed. they are like jointed with exponents.

Look at us humans. we are flexible- but not that flexible, lol- and yet we have so many fighting styles that it's mindboggling.

so why can't Transformers have a fighting style that looks less like our MMA on screen and something truly alien?

2. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

Because fights like MMA can be choreographed by a real-world fight choreographer.

Fights that look like quadruple-jointed (or more) aliens flailing about could only really be choreographed by the type of nerds that would discus robot fighting techniques on an internet message board. Unfortunately, they're all so busy doing the modelling and animating that they don't have time to do the choreograhpy :( 

3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to assume MMA means mixed martial arts?

I personally think it might just look out of place. Ok they worked in how they knew English but mastering fighting styles? I dunno. As for fighting styles of their own well maybe they have been using them all along?

4. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

I think he means that with all the componets in them, why can't they put them to use, like their knees going backwars, hands rotating 360, etc. And it takes away from them being humanoid, which is how its been since the 80's, humanoid robots that don't do that.

5. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

The same reason Sam was in the movie and there were so many jokes and so much cleavage. The movie needs to be anchored to our reality for 99% of the general audience to get it. I have no doubt a certain segment of the online fanbase would LOVE a movie that took place only on Cybertron,with no human characters,and the robots only spoke Cybertronian,and the fights all involved unorthodox manuevers the human body cannot perform.
    Unfortunately,that movie would be a box office bomb.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^this.
    As i said before,the robots in I Robot did it and did it take away from reality? R
    It just seems logical that someting with gears, flywheels and so many shifting parts can fight a lot better than throw punches and kick. Just as and Autobot could transform to escape a decepticon chokehold, can't they shift a part here or there to reposition themselves?

actually, it is quite similar to Greco-Roman Wrestling. working out of pins or hods to regain advantage.

and i didn't mean to confuse anybody by adding examples from our own world.
    My point is, we have Jeet Kun Do, Tae Kwan Do, Judo, Jujitsu, Karate, Capoeira, Akido, Thai Kick Boxing, Boxing....

and a sophisticated robot can't have its own fighting style?

Even TFA Jazz, Prowl and Yoketron practiced a Cybertronian style. I understand for animation's sake it was simplified to what it was.

I guess i see so many possibilities with TF's.

Also, even the T-1000 and the Feminator in T3 had their moments of inhuman like fighting. it can be done with TFs is all i am suggesting.

7. AllSpark Shard

AllSpark Shard Squirrel-flattener

Is obvious that it was done for the sake of animation BUT...

In the bonus material dvd of Transformers 1, there are sequences of the combat tests the animators made when they were trying to define a fighting style.

In them, some Transformers simpler models appear battling each other and they move just like humans. And one then connects a low kick, that kind of sweep kick that trips your opponent, and it looks simply stupid and absolutely ridiculous. Think of the characters in the first Tekken or in Tekken 2. They move exactly like that. And it doesnt work with the Cybertronians, its awful.

Why? Because it makes them seem too human and familiar.

Thats why the animators went, as they say in the dvd, for a method that conveyed more a sense of weight and power, while still granting them some agility. A style based on heavy blows, throws, flailing about and tackles, resulted much, much better than one that simply imitated martial arts, and its true, the battles done in this style resulted a lot better than the tests contained in the dvd, which make the characters look, trust me, really ridiculous and boring. Super ridiculous.

So, thank God they didnt go the easy way putting them martial arts moves.

8. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    fixed