TransFormers & colour fading (yellowing)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SureShot90, Jun 7, 2011.

1. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    So I am curious to know what all you TF collectors do if you discover that a figure has started the evil proces of colour fading or yellow simply due to age ? (not sun wear).

Personally I once had it like if they just started showing fading I'd panic and almost immidiately would find a replacement or somekind of repair-figure, to make the figure all new shiny and mint looking.

Now about 7-8 years later, I kind of come to accept that it's a process that evetually will occur (you can't stop the inevitable), so as a result I don't anylonger run out at get replacement figures. I've accepted this as a part ofthe TransFormers life cycle and frankly I'm not that bothered by it any longer and as odd it may seems I think it has its charm and gives the figure a bit identity and history as a proud piece of a long lasting collection (my collection is not in direct sunlight and is in a hot dry place).
    E.g I have G.1 Whirl that isn't entirely blue anymore... but I can't really be bothered replacing him.

So what are your reactions to this 'horrible' topic ?

2. HighPrime

HighPrime Wake up with the King!

News Credits:
  3. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Yup I'm aware of that, and I had a project going on with restoring Star Sabers using this method. However this treatment will not "cure" but only postpone the proces that eventually will happen sooner or later.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    do you have any natural or florescent light on your toys? i still have my g1 jetfire on display and it's perfectly white, chansformers and i have both used the hydrogen peroxide method to whiten figures, and they are still white

5. SureShot90

Ebay:
    No, only ordinary "daylight", but not directly sunlight since I've got curtains up :) 
    I know about the hydrogen peroxide method and I have done it a few times, but it's no a perfect solution in every situation (not all surface paints can deal with a peroxide bath).. e.g reprolabeling figures all up can get expensive too... been there with restoring Overlords and the expenses never matched the final sale price.

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ordinary daylight can yellow figures, it's the UV rays that do it, my tf room is sealed from sunlight, and no yellowing occurs in it

7. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    I'm PM'ed you some time ago about this very issue, no response yet :rolleyes: 

So again! can you tell me exact what you to did:
    -times
    -ingredients
    -repeats

etc. thank you so much in advance!
    (but please hurry so I finally can complete me Jetfire custom)

8. Coaxial

Coaxial Hop on the beam

Out of direct sunlight is great since the sun brings evil death to white or bright plastic, as is a nice dry climate free of too much humidity - but hot? Ehhh, you do know that HEAT will yellow things over time as well, yes? Best to keep stuff in a cooler setting. Personally I would never store anything (or display it) in a temperature above 75 degrees (at least), but that's just me.

9. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I haven't been collecting long enough to worry about yellowing yet, but when it inevitably starts to happen (G1 Jazz), I'm not gonna do anything to stop it. It makes the figures "unique."

10. nelodiavolo

nelodiavolo Transformer Nerd

News Credits:
    I'll have to agree that out of the sun and cooler\dry temperatures is better, IMO. Its pretty much a staple of storing things. Especially Wine! :drunk 

I keep my collection away from the windows on the opposite side of the room.

11. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

Not sure how it is donw with TFs.Here is a method i've seen on GIJoes.

Time:Seems a couple of hours,maybe all day.
    Ing:HP and something big enough to hold the toy and ligiud.They would put the toy in a cup and put plastic wrap over it and sit it in the sunlight.
    Repeats:As many as needed.

This is the Joe method.

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks lt faceless, forgot to reply to the pm lol. only thing i would add for tfs is stir, fairly often to make sure that it is getting evenly whitened

13. Neo-Prime

Neo-Prime Leader

Hey guys, im getting a new former display cabinets preety soon and the onliy space to put them is opersite a window across my room, is this a good idea?