Transformers Collection on Pawnstars

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Discussion' started by Lord_Starscream, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Lord_Starscream

Lord_Starscream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey ,
    I dont know if this has been posted already .
    I saw this video of a guy trying to sell a massive Transformers collection for $20,000 .
    His collection is huge but lots of doubles and triples if figures .
    Wish I had some of them , and I think it would be next to impossible to sell them in a collection .
    But hey there is always Botcon , right .

YouTube - Transformers G1 For Sale $20,000

2. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a related vid of a guy in AZ who wants $100,000 for his collection sans the 5 dino bots. .....geebus......

3. omega145

omega145 Autobot

Ebay:
    I had seen these on tv when the episode first premiered. Thanks for sharing and a good watch for those that havent seen it.

4. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I've seen this. Seriously, I'd take some of those Transformers off his hands! XD

5. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    My mom didn't believe the collection was worth 20,000

6. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Smart.

Piece it out and a buy a private island with the profits.

7. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    the "expert" they called in doesnt know what he's talking about. if there are a thousand pieces, and you sell them all pieced out, it could easily fetch MUCH higher than 20k. each one could def. sell for over $20, plus theres Fort Max. Anyone agree, the guy had no idea what he was pricing?

8. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Here the problem with that collection. None of the toys that made it on the show. Look complete your taking someone word. That's nice you have 9 mirages but if you one have the parts to complete 1 or 2. You will be lucky to get more than 10 for a loose bot. If your going to by a collection just to sell it you want to double your money. Why would anyone waste their time to buy that collection, spend all that time to get every toy ready to sell seperated and only to break even or make. 2 or 3gs off it. You buy it as cheap as you can so u can sell under ebay prices and make your money back asap. So that expert going in and say 10 to 12 g was right. I have been setting up at botcon since 05 and bret been doing it longer. We both talk about this and agreed that most you would want to spend is about 14gs on it so you can make money off it. Bing a dealer at botcon or any other show is harder then you think. Theirs more work behide the sceens then most people think.

9. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

Finally a real world response to these type's of threads lol

Its all about your return on the deal.

As well as time and labor involved in doing the deal, that most people never think of.

Labeled/identified/pieced together a couple collections for ebay resellers and the like in the last yr or so and it takes a lot of time to go thru them identify everything and label it. Even more so if you don't know about what u are selling lol

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well not only that, but he's not gonna make the full 20,000 unless he sells all of them, and then there's also the issue of displaying them in the store & keeping up on their values. That's likely why the Pawn guy had to make such a horribad offer, not "just" because he doesn't know what he's looking at & needs to make a lot of profit.

... in other words, I think that collector should probably look into getting some shelves.

11. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The guy has some serious balls to sell ALL those Transformers for his kid. However he is going to live to regret it it his kid becomes a Transformers fan.

12. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I still maintain that these are all extras, and that the real collection is in another room that we don't see. If you look carefully throughout the video you'll see boxes for items that aren't in that room, specifically Japanese G1's. It also explains why they are all on the floor rather than on shelves. The guy is clearly a collector.

13. PropagandaWar

PropagandaWar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He needs to EBAY away. He would make that 20k in no time.

14. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No way any of us could make a call on how much his collection is worth without seeing all of it in the flesh. Are all of those complete? Tight joints? No sticker wear? No yellowing?

Although this did get me thinking - why didn't the guy get in touch with the vintage toy shop in the first place? :s

15. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I'm pretty sure the reason he went with Pawnstars to begin with was for the 'national' exposure. A vintage toy shop can't offer what a national TV show can and even though he didn't sell it, everyone knows about it now.

16. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, there's already been a thread or two about this collection..this is a repeat PS. But it was an impressive collection! :thumb 

17. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't stand it when people say that. Lets see, 1000 Transformers, posting each takes on average 10 to 15 minutes to post if you take your time and actually type what your selling. So lets just say 10 minutes to make it easier, that is 10,000 minutes or 166 hours. Now, I am exaggerating in that once you do a few from each line you can cut down the time so lets reduce it to just 100 hours. That is a lot of time. Pictures to take, etc.... Then there are the fees which if anyone who has sold stuff on ebay can cut as much as 27% with fees and paypal. THEN you have to ship them out. I buy collections all the time and the main reason I get collections is because I offer a fair price, NOT WHAT THEY ARE WORTH, and save people time and the hassle. It is as simple as that. Also, don't forget that Ebay is a gamble, some stuff goes for mad money and sometimes stuff goes for super cheap.

Heck yeah, I am sure they (Rick) had no intentions of buying the lot but rather wanted to put something on his show that was different and appealing to collectors. A win for both parties.
    BTW there was some speculation that the Toy Store Owner came back and made another offer.

18. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Not to mention there's always, always the possibility that some of them could potentially be bootlegs as well.