Transformers collecting counseling...no, advice....yes.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ExtremeGz, Jun 26, 2011.

1. ExtremeGz

ExtremeGz Autobot/Decepticon Spy

Ebay:
    Just wanted to start off by saying that by no means do I consider myself an expert at Life nor on how to deal with people. Specifically, people who do not have the same hobbies as I do... But I am asking all of you...some casual friends with whom I have spoken to at Botcon, or by messaging here on the boards, or just plain doing deals with.....how do you deal with people who do not share the same thoughts of collecting Transformers as yours?

For myself and my collecting.....there isn't alot of people who I know in my everyday life that collect Transformers. With what I do (the Navy) there are not many people (or at least that I do not know of) that collect anything. And most of them do snicker and sneer when they hear that I do collect "toys".......as do most of my family...either immediate or in-laws. And guys that I can go "have a beer with" do not share the same interests as I do with collecting. I do not feel that there is any support from my wife either...being that they are "toys". Most of my figures are in tubs (probably around 400-500 figures. 27 tubs or so....with boxes) either in storage or in my garage never to see a shelf or display case. Is that bad?

How does everyone else deal with juggling normal everyday lives and collecting action figures? I mean I understand the whole "40-year old Virgin" thing but what is a mid-thirties guy suppose to do about something that interests him?

Maybe, I suppose....that when I have kids (hopefully soon, cross your fingers!) it only gets better as I can get them to like Transformers too. Any advice from my brethren?

Thanks for listening. One of those days....I guess.

Bryan

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The simple truth is people aren't going to see your hobby the way you do, and you're going to catch flak for it. If not catching flak for it outweighs the enjoyment you get from collecting, stop collecting. If you can't bear to not collect, resolve yourself to being made fun of a bit. You may want to consider going a little more under the radar with your collecting.

Also keep in mind that for a lot of people, how you react to some gentle ribbing is going to determine whether or not they keep giving you shit over it. If you calmly respond with a shrug and "everyone needs a hobby" or something similar, its probably going to work out better than trying to explain in excruciating detail why what you're doing is okay and how great it is.

3. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

My story is almost exactly the same as yours, until you got to the kids part. I have two boys, and it is their love for my hobby that keeps me going. Now, I'm not a MISB collector, so these come out to play often. I let the boys have a play (while I'm watching!), and makes it all worth it.

4. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Mate, Collecting TFs (to me atleast) is a means of de-stressing from work. I'm a primary school teacher & using my disposable income to fill in the gaps in my collection helps me unwind, get my mind off teaching - if you will. TFs help me relax - They're kinda like a chill-pill :) . Atleast that's what I tell other people who wonder why I own so many of them... :lol 

5. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    I know people who don't collect anything also, and for the life of me, I don't understand why they don't have something in their life that they're not as passionate about to THAT point as I am with collecting Transformers. Now I consider myself to be a collector of almost all things I love (movies, music, videogames, etc.) and all my closest friends get it and think it's really cool and think my collection thus far is awesome, even though they kinda scold me for spending the amounts of money I spend. I have one friend who is a way more serious collector than I that I only see from time to time (met him in college) and he's pretty much responsible for me collecting as seriously as I do now, so cheers in a very big way to him. Point being, some will appreciate your hobby, some with think it odd, others will fuel it for you, in the end, you just gotta stay true to who you are, and if it's a big part of who you are, F^#* those try to discourage it. Let your dork flag fly high my friend!!!!

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I look at most of the people I know who don't have hobbies, and feel pity for how empty their lives must be.
    Then I go back to having fun with my toy collecting and forget all about it until the next time some dickhead laughs at my hobbies, knowing that at the end of each day their lives are just as empty as they were when the day started.

In short: F**k 'em.

7. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My grandmother thinks it's weird, but my mom, my dad, my soon to be in-laws and significant other are fine with it. In fact all of my friends are genuinely either interested or simply impressed by my collecting.

Screw people who judge you for your interest in something like tf collecting. Those kinds of people aren't worth being around anyway if they think so little of anything they don't approve of.

8. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    No one cares that I collect TFs anymore. They used to, but you need to relate to these people something they understand, not specifically why you are doing it. To put it simple (best understood for non-collectors) is that it is an investment. You do not need to tell them you play with them, or arrange them in displays, or any of that other stuff. Most people realise that old toys go for big money, and most people can relate in investing in things. Same thing if you were to collect baseball cards. No one complains to an adult about collecting baseball cards because they already KNOW its also an investment. People don't see toys in the same light, even though they are basically the same idea.

9. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

When I was 13, my mother had even asked a doctor if it was fine for a 13 year old boy to be STILL hooked up with robots & stuffs. After a very much positive & convincing answer from the doc, she never complained. In fact, she's been very supportive of my hobby (morally & financially,thank god) up till now, even when after I got married and blessed with a son. The only qualm she may have now is on the money I spent on TF. Other than that, she's fine with it

All in all, perhaps having to talk to your family heart-to-heart, or having someone influential to talk to them about your great hobby might help.

10. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Find friends that care about it. I have two separate groups of friends, my friends that I work with in the theatre (I'm an actor...it's my actual job), and my friends who I have known for years that are toy collectors. While some of my acting compatriots also like Transformers, none of them are toy collectors. Occasionally people will give you hell for it, and say how does a grown man collect toys, but then you can point out that you have a pretty innocent hobby, and many of them waste money on booze and gambling. That usually shuts them up.

Thankfully, my girlfriend is a gamer and a geek, and even though she wasn't that familiar with Transformers when I met her, she is now, and she watches Prime with me, and she goes toy hunting with me all the time. So having the support there is good...I hope you can get your wife into it with you.

OH....and DISPLAY THEM DAMN FIGURES! Make display shelves, that's what you buy em for. If people don't like it, forget them! It's your life.

11. BlueFlame

BlueFlame Well-Known Member

My girl collects Living Dead Dolls, so that's all the support I need. :) 

12. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

I am also a U.S. Gravy warrior and I just keep chicks out of my man-cave. I don't let them spill out of the man-cave (much). I don't advertise it except to my best friends. I also let it be known that this stuff falls under "modern military action figures" and not "toys". I also don't "play" with them (although I would if I had kids), I "DIS-play" them. Get yourself a nice display case or bookshelf. And any more than 1 or 2 in your office is too much, I would say, unless you are the DH. Oh, and people will hide or "borrow" your stuff, same ethics as pertaining to an open bag of snacks underway. Just my .02!

13. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I love threads like this. Do you know what I do every time I encounter someone who is, how shall we say, less than supportive of my hobby? I start to go uber-tf geek on them. I start ranting about how could a person not like Transformers. I go into a tirade describing the mythos from start to finish, the rich history of the brand, how it has changed over the years and start describing just how many toys I actually have. Usually this makes said person very uncomfortable. On occasion someone will try to recant somewhat and tell me about how they liked the 2007 Movie. I take this opportunity to rant even further about what I agree and disagree about the movie series and how it fits into the mythos as a whole.

If it goes the other way and they start making further derogatory marks against me I'd just go even further into the obsession. (Unfortunately this has never happened, but I'd like to try it just once for fun)

Of course the whole reason I blow it out of proportion like this is because the other person is doing the exact same thing. Most of the time people figure out that I have a sense of humor about it and never bring it up again. Plus, by the time someone knows me well enough to know that I have this hobby they usually don't care.

Save the drama for your mama.

14. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    :lol  I do this to test people who claim to be 'huge Transformers fans' who 'have everything' and inevitably have to brag when they see my Decepticon shirt. They usually beat a hasty retreat with a 'damn, just embarrassed myself' expression. :lol 

As for the OP's question...stop giving a damn what people who you're not married to think. And stake out a spot in your apartment/house and start displaying those bad boys!!! How's your wife going to respect your hobby if all she sees are boxes in the garage, as if its something to BE embarrassed about!

--Moony

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I used to work in a comic shop and collect toys and would occasionally get flak from people for living a geeky life. People are very blinkered and often lead the lives they imagine they "should" be leading, rather than leading a life they "want" to,there is no point arguing that there way is wrong and our way is right because they only know what they see,not everyone can be a philosopher and look at other peoples lives objectively.
    So what I did was turned their narrow-minded, "everyone fits into a category" world view-point against them. I joined a gym and worked fucking hard.
    With the amount of energy and passion I put into collecting I find it very easy to put similar energy in to other goals I set, and as such the gym work paid off. Now when people see me they already have a stereo-typed view of who I am when they look at me, but Darwinism has taught such people to keep such negative comments to themselves.
    Of course, I am a big softy really and if people actually take the time to get to know me and then find out about my toy collecting hobby, it messes with their head a bit. They sort of want to mock me but see I have a house, good car and fit girlfriend and am quite buff (fell off the train with my vacation and not got back on yet! Whoops) they really can't find anything negative to say.

16. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

I see absolutely no difference between our passion for TFs and other things "normal" people like. Why is it wrong to display a shelf full of TFs but OK to deck out the walls with sports posters and shadow boxes with signed cards/game balls in them? How come it's wrong to have a closet packed with toys but not to have it packed with designer shoes and clothes? If anyone ever criticizes me about my collecting, I find out what they like and counter them with it. We all have our respective interests and, so long as they're not harmful, we all have the right to have them despite what anyone might say.

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

"Hasy retreat"? Well, at least they got the Con strategt to a T. :p 

18. WHEELSABER

WHEELSABER Well-Known Member

We all have our hobbies and interests. I think a hobby is a way of staying clean of other things in life that may be a danger to us or bring us down whether we realize it or not. Some people do a lot of things for fun that can put themselves at risk whether it be sex, drugs, drinking and partying. As a collector myself I look at it as a way of staying away from said risks. People can get lost in their interests/hobbies and it can do a lot of damage. The only damage I see that comes from collecting is the dent in my wallet when I spend money on TF's, but luckily I have a sense of self control. Don't know if this helps, but you could look at it from this perspective as I said and be happy with your lifestyle compared to others.

19. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    The way i see it is sod what everyone else thinks!!!!! i don't buy transformers to play with they are sat on my tv and shelves as display pieces and nostalgia from my childhood