Transformers Club: Worth the renewal?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Blastwave, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Blastwave

Blastwave Well-Known Member

I signed up for a subscription this time last year, and the deadline is getting very close. I'm just wondering... do you guys feel like you got your money's worth?

The info can be interesting sometimes, but to be honest, I usually already know all the news thanks to tfw2005.com. Getting early pics of 10th anniv. BW Megs and Primal was my only highlight.

The comic is pretty good, but it seems like it's not really valued as "in-continuity." I doubt I will see any tie-in to the cartoon series or an IDW comic (besides the intervention of Vector Prime)

The figure is okay, but it's not in high demand. I believe Skyfall was easily (and rather inexpensively) attainable on ebay after he was released.

I know there are some of you who would renew it anyways, but for the rest of you, do you think it was worth it?

2. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    I'd be on the fence, if not outright refusing to renew, if I wasn't getting my second year free, based on the first year and the lack of benefits offered to non-convention attendees. Thankfully, the powers-that-be get another year to prove themselves to me.

So I'm on the fence, hoping to be impressed.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not renewing unless the renewal price for non-US members is seriously lowered.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've never had one, and from what I've read around here, I never will.

5. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Sounds like a scam/ rip-off to me.

6. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I spent $40 last year and got a toy that I can't even tell you where it's at. I got one of the 7 figures in the exclusive set from a friend for much cheaper than FP was charging. Their "previews" are stuff that I see on the 'net, and since I choose "standard" shipping, by the time I get it, it's everywhere because Hasbro posts it up or FP posts it up on their forums or in a "news announcement".

So what's the point? I want to support the club, but I think I can do much better things for them then giving them $40 with promises that "it's well worth it".

7. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

It's like those pyramids schemes. Promises of great things and a better life, yet all that happens is a loss of money and empty promises.

8. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i am suddenly glad i never picked it up the first time.

9. Trans4mers

Trans4mers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Waste of my money. They havent done anything for me. Their store has products that are shelf warmers. I cant justify paying anymore money to this club cuz it has done jack for me!! im infuriated that i was duped into joining since they promised great things for this club.

10. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

it was $40 wasted IMO, and I will not renew

11. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    For me the only thing that made the club worth joining was the fact I went to Botcon this year. Since being a member gets you a serious discount on the convention its worth it just for that as the non-member cost of Botcon just about equals what, at least I paid, for joining the club.

Other then that your pretty much paying $40+ (depending on your location) for a sub-standard newsletter and a so-so basic repainted Energon toy.

12. Blastwave

Blastwave Well-Known Member

Wow... I didn't think this many people were unhappy with their subscription. Well, thanks for everyone's input, I know what I'll be doing...

Does anyone have any ideas on how they could improve? A better exclusive maybe? Longer comics?

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    -Lower international membership fees
    -Non-extortionate shipping from the store
    -Ditch the MC magazine and ship the newsletter IN AN ENVELOPE
    That'd be a good start.

14. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Just out of curiosity: Is there ANYONE who actually thinks the Club is doing an outstanding job and delivers awesome stuff that makes you go "Ooooooh!"? The most positive responses I ever saw anywhere were "It's okay, I'll give them another chance".

I mean, this fandom could never agree on ANYTHING - for everyone who insists that the evil emperor of destruction transforming into a tiny gun that requires his backstabbing lackey to fire it qualifies for the most stupid idea ever, we'll get someone else who would viciously defend it as an example of outstanding drama writing.

Yet the feedback for the Club ranges from indifference to solid criticism to crazy conspiracy theories. The only ones I've ever seen actively defending the Club were on their payroll. That can't be right.

15. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Well I am renewing cos I want to finish the combiner and the comic pass’ the time but really I do think the whole thing pretty damn poor for the money we pay.

16. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

If you're the sort of person who goes to every Botcon, buys the exclusives without fail and lives in the US, then yes. The club probably is worth it - simply because of the discount if nothing else. The mediocre comic and odd exclusive pic probably justifies your time.

If you're one of the majority that don't, then no, it's not. Frankly I think if you live outside for North America and renew then you're just a sucker for punishment.

Phazer

17. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I'm pleased with the club, but I think that's because I don't delude myself with extreme, unrealistic expectations and have a better grasp of the value of the small amount of $40.

For international members, yep, it's not worth it, no argument from me.

But for the $40, let's break it down:
    *Limited edition run of a repainted Basic figure: a basic retails for about $7, figuring in the limited nature, it should be worth around $15. Whether or not you like said specific figure is personal taste. It's still "worth"/costs $15. (Personally I love the E.gestalt molds and I love translucent plastic!)

*Putting it in a box and shipping it across the US, that's going to cost $5

*6 newsletters, there hasn't been "tremendous" content, but guys, it's a club, if you want to get the most out of it PARTICIPATE! Write an article, submit art that IS good! I recently submitted 1 article that I think is decent and am working on another. Now if you say "It's not my job" to provide content, correct, it's your privilege! But whatever the content, full color printing still costs the same so, say $1 for the newsletter, $1 for the comic, and $1 to ship it, that's 6*$3=$18

*They do get a few bits of exclusive news, and I feel, seeing it ETHICALLY, and having it in a nice hard copy format is worth at least $1 a year... if not, maybe $1 a year just for generosity of supporting the club

*The club store doesn't have tremendous discounts compared to retail that's true. I've placed 1 order with them, for the first 8 LOC figures. That cost me less than retail even including the shipping price! This one purchase was a benefit... having the club store should be worth at least $1 a year.

And that all adds up to $40! See while a Cybertron leader figure is definitely a better TF item and I would never suggest the club over Metroplex, $40 still isn't a lot of money.

Then there's more benefits that I didn't figure in, the convention discount is great *if* you can go, so that's just a bonus on top of the $40 value. There's complaints about the MC newsletter/ads, well it's FREE to place an ad, so why not? If not for actually trying to buy/sell something then at least to be entered into the drawings for a FREE figure.

18. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Now, this is an argument I'm tired of hearing. If someone offers to unload a truckload of garbage into your living room "for free," would you allow them to do it?

While MC isn't quite that bad, the point remains that it's worthless for most of us, and therefore represents a drain on club resources that could be better spent on other club benefits.

Separated because, although a good thing, I really do think such a contest should be free, and not included in any discussion on the value of the club. If it were dropped, I wouldn't complain, although I'm certainly happy to win if my ad is ever randomly chosen. But since few of us will ever see this benefit, it really can't count.

19. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:

For the garbage analogy... I am NOT saying the MC newsletter material itself is a benefit, what I said was it's free to place an ad. There's an outside chance that could be a benefit if someone were to try it... so a tiny, tiny benefit in addition to the already stated $40 value. Personally I admit I haven't done that... but it's a tiny, tiny, added option if you want to take advantage of it.

The ad is free and the contest is free, and I mention these only as tiny bonuses to the already stated $40 value. Of course the contest should be "free", but realize it is a benefit, it is a COST to FP, so there is some tiny, tiny amount of the $40 that directly or indirectly pays for it since it's an expediture of FP and the $40 is their revenue.

Now about arguing over the "garbage" of the actual MC ads.... the TFCC-concurrent newsletters are good for packaging and protecting the newsletter, no reason to complain about them.

The off-month ones... 6 pieces of junk mail a year do not register on my frustration scale... I do seriously hate junk mail, but when I get around 6 credit card offers a WEEK, these 6 a year are not worthy of concern.

20. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

I'd like to support the club. As a Transformers fan it sort of feels like something I should do. However, like many people, I feel like all I got out of it last year was the combiner piece(which I don't think I ever took out of the plastic). Usually by the time I get the newsletter it's not a very long time before the "exlusive news/pictures" are officially revealed elsewhere. I probably learn more from this website than I do the newsletter.

BTW, how much was the club discount for Botcon last year? I didn't go last year, but I might go this year. If I decide to go, I may renew my club membership for that reason.