Transformers Classics v3 -- NO HEADMASTERS??

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Thundershot, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, I was excited to get this today...but then I ran into two problems: one was that the spine was mangled.. two.. it goes straight from #37 to #38.

No Headmasters.

That's a HUGE fail as far as I'm concerned... They could have cut out Man of Iron (which is in the UK v1) to help with the space... but... with no news on volume 4, people who've never read the comics before will have no clue where the Headmasters come from in issue 38...

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm not familiar with the Marvel comics, reading them now, but is the Headmasters a BIG deal to the story?

3. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes. In fact, #42 is a return to Nebulos and people would have no clue what happened without the HM issues.

Also, Regeneration One is going to apparently deal with what happened to the original heads from Headmasters.

4. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. A HUGE deal. Their miniseries introduces a whole new cast of characters (all the 87 guys) sets their characters and stories up and sends them to Earth. Then with #38 they basically become the stars of the book for the next year or two or more.

Fort Max and Skorponok/Zarak are two of the most important characters in the second half of the comic run.

So yeah, not including it where it goes in the story is a BIG FAIL by IDW. Especially in collections that are trying to be definitive. I'm really bummed to hear this.

-ZacWilliam, LOVED the HM miniseries when it came out and I was in elementary school and it still remains one of my favorite TF books.

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    So ... big fail on IDW's part? Got it.

Well that's some shit man. Now I have to continue buying the trades AND track down the Headmaster series. Awesome.

6. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt you'll have to track down the original issues. My guess is that the HM mini and possibly the movie adaptation and hopefully the universe profiles (though I know I'm dreaming with that one), will probably be at the end of the last volume.

I have to agree that putting Man of Iron in this volume was a waste of space. I mean, I'm happy to have the US covers, but if they had to put it in, they should have used the US styled coloring, since we have the painted version in the UK volume. It looks like they copied Man of Iron from the exact same source that they used for the UK trade, and I think it would have been better to highlight the differences between how it was released in both countries.

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    the last time IDW put out Marvel collections, Headmasters was placed in the final volume (which I actually stated last night in another thread). I have no idea why they do this, but that's how it is. Even worse, the GI Joe/Transformers crossover which includes the rebuilding of Bumblebee into Goldbug isn't included at all, leading you to wonder why he's suddenly Goldbug when you're reading the main book. Who knows if they'll fix that this time

8. bennydeckersac

bennydeckersac Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The TF / G.I. Joe Crossover is going to be in it's own separate book:
    G.I. JOE/Transformers Volume 1 (G. I. Joe (Graphic Novels)): Michael Higgins, Larry Hama, Herb Trimpe, Chris Batista, Steve Lieber, William Rosado, Jesse d'Orozco: 9781613773529: Amazon.com: Books

9. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

10. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

Huh. That has the G2 prequel from GI Joe. I guess that means they plan on collecting the G2 issues separate as well then.

11. roguesaint

roguesaint Reconnaissance Expert

News Credits:
    Not if you don't think think Fortress Maximus and Scorponok are deals...and they are.

12. roguesaint

roguesaint Reconnaissance Expert

News Credits:
    That'd be nice, right?

It think the headmasters series in single issue is still relatively easy to find. I feel like I've seen it more often in long boxes than initial 1-4 or any of the last 20 issues of the main series.

13. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have all of the single issues of Marvel G1. I'm buying the trades for convenience of having them in good condition and right on my bookshelf. It sucks that I'll have to read volume 3 until number 37 and then, assuming they put it in the last volume, jump to that, and then go back to 3 again to read 38. It's just jarring is all.

14. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

If I knew that, I wouldn't have bothered with getting G.I. Classics volume 15 last month.

15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
  16. RamenJunkie

RamenJunkie Lameazoid.com

You know, i wish they would just put up a page somewhere with the planned listing of what's coming and what's available. It doesn't even have o be a promis that it's going to be released if that's what they are worried about, more of a "here's what we plan to do in a perfect world".

17. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

Id love it if they did that. As it is, the IDW forums might have more information, but they are a real pain to sort through.

18. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You mean volume 14. 15 is due in July(ish)

In terms of what's coming out, I usually go to Amazon once a month and search for "IDW" and sort by release date. Amazon has listings before IDW announces them....

Also, if you guys want Headmasters now, buy Vol.6 of the previous Classics: Amazon.com: Classic Transformers Vol. 6 (9781600106729): Simon Furman, Bob Budiansky, Ralph Macchio, Andrew Wildman, Geoff Senior, Frank Springer, Don Perlin: Books

19. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    I have one thing to say to IDW about this:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files: