Transformers Classics: UK Volume 1 opinions sought

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by grimlock1972, Feb 19, 2012.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I am planning to purchase this : Amazon.com: Transformers Classics: UK Volume 1 (9781600109430): Simon Furman, Mike Collins, James Hill, John Ridgway, Jeff Anderson, John Stokes, Barry Kitson, Mark Farmer, Will Simpson, Geoff Senior: Books

I am looking for people who own it and could give me some opinions on it. I have read a number of the Marvel G1 comics but have never had the chance to read the UK comics so I would like to know if this is good or id be better off tracking down the original comics.

2. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

The UK comics are some of the most highly praised parts of the G1 canon. Consistently good, sometimes great. If you've never read them, you need to remedy that.

As for the original comics... they were published in the UK, and your location states you are in the US. As far as I understand, the UK originals command high prices. Your other option is the Titan reprints. But I understand that the IDW editions are more complete.

In other words, this is your most readily available option to read the stories that are generally on most fans 'must read' list.

3. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Great stories in there like Decepticon Dam Busters and old quirky one's like Man of Iron. I have some of the original issues of these and I'd go for a robust book like that with a good cover on it, I'd keep picking it up. Very interested in picking this up myself.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Thanks and i will definitely pick it up then.

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I need to pick this up too!

6. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Only got partway through this one so far, the sheer amount of additional content alone is more than enough reason to pick this up.

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fantastic book, loads of extra content, and the stories still stand up well too!

8. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My only gripe is that the shrunken panels are hard for me to read. But if you have good eyesight, i totally suggest picking this up!

I wish IDW would release these digitally.

9. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Yeah they've really made the effort to compile as much as possible; snippets and adverts from other pages of the comics, early black & white stuff that hasn't been reprinted before, content from the annual, as well as interviews and articles putting it into context etc. It's the next best thing to being there :thumbs2: 
    Yeah that's my only negative too. The UK comics were always a larger format than US standard. The shrunken size of this book is still acceptable, but it's additionally annoying that each comic layout is presented within a smaller border on the page... Makes it even smaller than it could have been, for no apparent reason.

10. steve71

steve71 Active Member

I saw this at my local Barnes and Noble bookstore. I have the american version of TF Classics Vol 1 and now am gonna grab this version as well.

11. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably worth mentioning that this volume is from before the UK comics really nailed down what they were about. There are some great stories in this one, but there are a few wobbly ones as well, and some ones that'll seem outright odd ("Man of Iron" is a tremendous, atmospheric tale of mysterious, cold alien robots intruding on sleepy country life, but not standard TF fare!) - most of these are from before they'd really started trying to work within the continuity of the US comic properly, and the REALLY great stories, the legendary ones everyone holds up, won't be coming in until a volume or two down the line. But as everyone else has said, the sheer volume of extra material really makes this the most informative book you could get on the subject and well worth the asking price.

12. optimax

optimax Member

I have been collecting different TF comics. I never really knew that this is a good catch. Gotta get this as well then. Thanks, guys!:) 

13. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    The UK material is arguably the best in the G1 universe. Admittedly the first volume doesn't cover the best material(although Crisis of Command is pretty fantastic), but as others have said the behind the scenes stories of how it all came together make this a must buy for any G1 comic fan. And if you have never read any UK stuff you're gonna want this whole set because there are some amazing stories in the later stuff. It sucks so bad that volume 2 got pushed back a month. It was originally scheduled for release this week...but now it's at the end of March....sigh.

14. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    It's interesting historically, but really, really rough ~ i don't think what folks think of as the "good" UK stuff starts until volume 2.

Some of the art in this volume was literally so bad i couldn't finish the story. (but some is good too) ~ it also is playing pretty loose with characterizations and continuity, since not a lot had been established and often the writers were working with little for reference. The best part of it too me was the historical write-ups, I wish the US version had a little bit more of that kind of material.

15. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got my UK Classics Volume 1 today, and flipped through it. The art looks amazing. These were some of the few UK issues I ever came across second-hand in the US, so it is cool to see them again.

I get some of the Man Of Iron hate, but I remember reading it and enjoying it about 13 years ago. It is very different from any other story arcs, so it has its own charm.

I have US Volume 1 and 2 also. I think I will wait until the next US and UK volumes are released (April), then start reading them all together in Chronological order. Hopefully that will last me until the next editions.

I am really looking forward to finally reading the last 10 issues of the US series, and seeing everything in the UK issues that I had only heard about.

16. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

The UK shit is awesome. Every comics book fan needs to pick this up.

17. Impactor1106

Impactor1106 WRECKER

News Credits:
    I collected TF UK when I lived in Ireland way back when and still have all the issues I got along with some I got after I moved to the US. TF UK was always my favourite over the US material, looking at the old issues brings back fond memories. That said, I went ahead and picked up a copy of TK UK classics vol 1 and all I can say is WOW!! A lot of insight information on how the comic started, how Furman ended up writing the stories, etc. The introduction by James Roberts echoed my own sentiments exactly. The intros to each story provided alot on insight as to how they were created that I found myself last night going through those stories again almost if it was my first time reading them.

I would recommend this to anyone interested in TF UK, and cannot wait for volume 2.

18. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have it (and US v1 and v2) and having no emotional attachment to the UK stuff, I thought it was good. Definitely has a different "feel" than the US issues, and has focus on many characters that the US just glossed over. Looking forward to v2 and beyond!

19. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Its a bit of an ask, but does anyone have a list of the stories in this volume, I can recognise stories from the cover, but an actual list would be awesome.

edit: totally yoinked this from tfwiki.net

Contents

A Complete History of Transformers UK
    "Man of Iron!"
    "The Enemy Within!"
    "Raiders of the Last Ark"
    "Robot War!"
    "Decepticon Dam-Busters!"
    "The Wrath of Guardian!"
    "The Wrath of Grimlock!"
    "Robot War II"
    "Christmas Breaker!"