transformers classics uk vol 1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by PrimeOQZ, Nov 5, 2011.

1. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone else bought this. I just got mine and wanted to share my initial thoughts. The material for the book was very informative by James Roberts. It gives you a history of how the uk transformers comics evolved from the begining. Since I have always been a big fan of the marvel comics and the uk stuff that has been reprinted, my knowledge as a transformers comics fan, or as James said in the book, made me wish I was there from the begining, helps connect an era that was not as well known to me. I am looking forward to the next one just for that.

The only negative I have (and it is a big one for me) is that the actual stories do not fill up the whole page. Its about 1/2in from the top and an inch from the bottom of blank space so it makes the stories look small. Why all this wasted space. I am really disapointed in this. The stories just seem harder to read. I hope that gets corrected in the next one.

2. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I have been waiting on reviews for this, as this is a major want for me. I am very disappointed to hear about the page size. I wonder if this is a print error?

3. PrimeOQZ

News Credits:
    Oh, I forgot, it also has the original uk covers (4 per page) and a bunch of transformers insert scans from the original comics, and some scanned tech spechs from the comic. It reprints Man of Iron to Crisis of Command, the 85 annual and two text stories. All of this is fantastic as well. I was thinking that the uk comics really seemed more like a magazine and they really did want to fill it out with as much transformers as possible.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think this particular book is a must for any fan of the original comics. It is packed FULL of stuff that will keep you reading for hours. I for one actually prefer the smaller print that doesn't fill up the entire page. It makes things much easier to read compared to the Marvel US books in which some of the text bubbles are so far in the spine it is really difficult to read.

I'll say it again, if you're thinking about getting this then by all means, DO IT.

5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just bought it and have been savoring every page. Familiar with Man of Iron, of course, but the rest of the stories, at least the ones in this first volume, I've never read. And the extras... oh, the folks who put this together knew their audience.

About the wonky proportions: this is because British comics are a different size than American comics. I don't remember the exact dimensions, but they're taller and wider. The art got shrunk down to fit on a standard American-size page. This is the ONLY thing that could have made this trade series better: if it had retained the British page size. But that would have increased the cost, so it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Just crossed this off my list. Using US page proportions to reprint European comics is awful and theres no good excuse for it now that Rebellion, Humanoids and Cinebook have more or less made 7.5 x 10.25 the defacto standard for shrinking when original size is off the table.

7. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

I picked it up weeks ago & absolutely loved it. The extras/ behind the scenes material alone makes it worth picking up. Feels very for fans by fans to me.

8. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Awesome, this is bought on site when I see it.

9. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was expecting not to like it, but I really don't think it makes much difference. I actually prefer it in this format as opposed to Titan's earlier larger-format editions.

To the OP: This book is wonderful. The extra material is well-presented, with some new interviews; it actually reprints all the UK covers (unlike Titan's earlier efforts...) and, most special of all of course, is it includes ALL the UK stories during this initial period, including the text stories from the annual. It really is a wonderful tome, and goes well with the new reprinted US Classics versions.

I hope we get "Ancient Relics" in the UK series - with James at the helm, we probably will!

10. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    For those have both the UK and US releases of these books, what's the best way to go about reading them? I know the stories don't like up exactly continuity wise at first. Should I read them separately or together throughout?

11. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd do it together. Just taking Classics v1 and Classics UK v2:

Read US #1-4
    Read UK #9-21 (these stories are supposed to fit in the gaps between US #1-4; they don't neatly, so don't think too hard about where they fit chronologically)
    Read US #5-8
    Read UK #29-32 (this is where the UK stories start to fit pretty much seamlessly into US continuity - and actually improves upon it e.g. explaining where the heck the Dinobots went to after US #8)
    Read US #9-12
    Read UK #41-44

The next volume of Classics UK will have #45-50, which should be read next, before going on to US #13.

As for the batch of Annual stories included in Classics UK v1 - they're really not in continuity at all (I know the same could arguably be said for UK #9-21, but these are even harder - because of characters featured - to shoehorn in to continuity), and should be read as an alt-universe/elseworld-type tales, except for "And There Shall Come...A Leader!" an early story set on Cybertron.

Hope this helps.

12. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That actually helped out quite a bit. I've already read US 1-11 and UK's Man Of Iron, but I think I'll just start over and see what it does for me. Thanks :thumb 

13. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    The extras were amazing.

The shrunken story pages, less so. Yet another TF disappointment from IDW.

14. PrimeOQZ

News Credits:
  15. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    I love the book. At first I was thrown by the format, but to be honest I soon got used to it. I found the discolouration on some of the black and white pages a little harder to adjust to, but given how old the material is, I'm just thrilled to see it back on shelves (and it allows me to keep the originals safe!)

The extras are superb, and for the money, make the book a bargain. It's a great bit of TF history.