Transformers Cartoon discussion (IMHO)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by orionpacks85, Mar 26, 2010.

1. orionpacks85

orionpacks85 autobot85

Ebay:
    I’ve had the email address autobot85@wherever.xom forever. People always ask me, “Why 85?”. voyager-geeks ask, “Why autobot85 if Transformers started in 84?” Leader-class geeks (like myself) ask, “Why 85, if it started in the States in ’84 and if you count Diaclone started as early as ’79?”

Well, the 85 has never been about when Transformers started but about when it ended (at least for me. I never got to see the original TF movie in the theater, and once season 3 came on TV and I saw this, even as a 10 year old, I knew everything I loved about Transformers was done. Sure, the 1st 2 seasons had their clunker episodes, and the seekers were never colored right, and there was that one scene where Prime was blue. But C’mon, this season is horrible.
    Look at these screen caps from “Five Faces of Darkness part 2”. I’m all about mass shifting. Prime’s Trailer disappears into sub-space? No Problem. Megatron be 50ft. tall & transformed can fit in either Starscream’s hand or mine? No Problem. I have a golf-size umbrella that fits in my coat pocket, Mass shifting is REAL people!

But this? This is just HORRIBLE animation. The ‘A-team’ of animators must have all still been out celebrating the awesome job they did on the movie and gave season 3 to the interns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thankfully, I’d later discover the Japanese seasons 4, 5, 6 (I have them on first on VHS, then VCD, and finally on DVD through Amazon UK) (Yes, I suffered through the horrible dubbing until the true Japanese subtitled versions became available.)

What’s the point of all this? I just watched the movie again and on the special features some of the people who worked on the show/movie contribute the demise of the Transformers popularity was due to killing Optimus Prime in the movie. I totally agree but Season 3 of the cartoon, dug the grave and buried it!

Nelson Ribeiro
    Autobot85@optonline.net

*PS just to prove I’m a leader-class geek (and a hypocrite) the only incredibly awesome thing of Season 3 was the episode, “Call of the Primitives”. Nothing, NOTHING to do with the Primacron storyline but everything to do with the INCREDIBLE animation by the INFALLIBLE TMS Entertainment, Ltd.

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well, everyone knows about the Animation problems that plague Transformers. Season 3 took it to a new level but most of the episodes are ok. If you can look past the terrible episodes and watch Dweller in the depths, Call of the Primitives (like you said), Dark Awakening, Chaos and my personal Favorite, webworld! you'll realize it isn't all that bad! Web world is awesome

What killed Transformers... at least for me.. wasn't the crappy animation or story telling. It was those 4 Green Turtles that love to eat Pizza and kick ass.

3. orionpacks85

orionpacks85 autobot85

Ebay:
    Maybe, there might be a few saving graces in that season (like return of Optimus Prime)

But again, I say, "C'Mon!"

[​IMG]

4. Hired Goons

Hired Goons Gassy autobot.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude,

I felt EXACTLY the same way once someone let me know that Prime died in the movie. I didn't see the movie until 10+ years later. I did see an episode, possibly Webworld, a season later and thought, "what? Who are these guys?" Oh, and then I saw one of the 'season 5' recap episodes with that stop motion Prime and it freaked me out. I would have no idea until much, much later (like a few years ago) that Optimus Prime returned at the end of season 3.

What is Transformers' true 'Jump The Shark' moment? I don't think I saw the majority of the later episodes of season 2 that revolved around the combiners, and am glad that I didn't.

But c'mon, this ain't Citizen Kane. It's Transformers. I have to explain EVERYTHING that doesn't 'make sense' to my wife...and that's pretty much EVERYTHING, even in episodes I think are "great."

(Usually, "where does Prime's trailer go when he transforms?" and "how did they drive to the Amazon in less than two hours?" Sheesh, honey, they took the underwater route, DUH.)

-paul

5. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I didn't mind that Optimus Prime died in the movie, it didn't change the way I felt about the series at all. I think I was more upset about Ironhide, but only because of the sheer brutality of it.

Anyway, I agree with the above poster that the Transformers weren't killed through any fault of their own, but because the Ninja Turtles took over everything in the early 90's. Although if I was pressed to blaming the Transformers series itself, I guess I'd blame Daniel. Man that kid was the most annoying bastard ever.

6. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I think all seasons had their gems. Yes the animation was off at times but that's part of the charm looking back now. I'm sure the kids didn't notice it back in the day.

Here's something I'd appreciate some insight into-- if bringing back Optimus Prime was supposed to reinvigorate the brand and get kids interested in TFs again, why didn't the suits give it a chance? It seems they brought Prime back just to cancel the line. Was the decision to cancel based on ratings on the Return of Optimus Prime alone? Were those 2 episodes a test to see if TF was worth continuing?

7. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I wonder that too. But if they had ended the serious without bringing Prime back, do you think there would still have been as much interest when Generation 2 came out?

8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    By that point, I think the series was too far gone to bring it back, IMO.

9. orionpacks85

orionpacks85 autobot85

Ebay:
    maybe the writers thought bringing Prime back would help the seires, but by that point the ratings must have made the networks & producers say, "Yeah, we're done here."

Because in Japan, the series went on for 3 more seasons (Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory. Definitely worth buying the Metrodome Distribution releases!!!!!)

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    TFs were just old news by then. Why do you think BW exists? It brought Transformers back to life.

11. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

If I remember correctly an Aerialbot is flying with the Decepticons in a scene in season 2 also. Granted there are possibly more of these mistakes in season 3 due to AKOM animating the majority of the episodes. I never had a problem with it. There are plenty of great episodes in season 3 in my book, not call of the primitives though.
    I love season three, then again I love me some space opera.

12. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

Season 3 is far and away the best season of the US G1 show.

13. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think crappy animation errors "killed" G1, when I was in 3rd grade, I didn't notice any of that. I think what "killed" it was that a lot of us had grown out of it, not really in age, just had moved onto other things, like TMNT, and didn't rediscover it until we were older, and then we noticed things like that, right around the time the internet hit...and well, here we are to discuss it

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It must be rough to only be able to enjoy 2 years of a 25 year old franchise because the animated series had errors in it. You know that even "More than Meets the Eye" was rife with errors and low quality animation, right?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  15. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I just checked this out at home and saw the images. Post some more, they're fun to riff on.

16. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    when i was a kid i didnt care about all the errors. it was just a cool show. everyone takes this stuff too serious. it was for kids for goodness sakes. get over it.

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

The real problem was they waited far too long to bring Optimus back.

Let me try to explain.

It was obvious after the first few regular episodes of season 3 that the absence of Optimus was hurting the show.Now thats not to say that it was the only thing hurting the ratings but itr was a factor.

They saw that the fans loved "Dark Awakening" so they decided to bring Optimus back.

But instead of rushing a new episode into production they took their time and waited out the rest of season 3 to air..

The last "planed" episode of season 3 "The Face of the Nijika" aired on November 20th 1986.

"The Return of Optimus Prime" didnt air till February 24th 1987.

That 3 month gap, and the poor ratings, caused most of the networks that were buying the TF toon to decide not to bother buying an other season.

18. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Sorry to go OT but as a couple of you'll point out that the Turtles is what killed TF's,but
    I so disagree with that,I think it had more to do with them killing Prime in the movie.As for
    those lousy Ninja Turtles I can say I watched all of 3 shows of them,they basically had no
    dialogue or plot like the TF's did.And the thing I hated most about the turtles was that
    Krang,he sounded like a bad imitation of Katherine Hepburn,also why would a brain be put
    in a stomach?,LMAO.Finally I never bought 1 yes 1 figure of those like other kids did back
    then,they were stupidest toys I laid eyes on.

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I really dont see how anyone here could logically think that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had anything to do with the fall of the TF show.

20. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People aren't putting the blame of TMNT for the death of Transformers in general, they're referring to TMNT as being the cause of death of the franchise for them personally. I agree to an extent because TMNT took a huge amount of my attention away from Transformers, but what did me in was the scale of the toys. I grew up owning a majority of the original toys til around headmasters era, and essentially quit before action masters. I looked at all my micromasters, and couldn't pair them up next to my original toys. Then I looked at the constructicons dwarfed by optimus prime... and thought, jeeze, why are these construction vehicles smaller than a semi truck, and why is a semi truck smaller than a sports car? Even when I was young I thought that Targetmasters and modern G1 toys just sucked compared to the original die-cast ones. Of course I see things differently, but I just remember that time and that's when I decided to move on from TFs. How Ninja Turtles was any better, I have no clue.