Transformers Canon

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Hunter114, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Hunter114

Hunter114 New Member

During a conversation about a something a character was doing in one TV series, someone said that he was too busy doing something else, which referenced another series, implying that it the two series were in a shared universe... we got into an argument of sorts and he challenged me to come here and see what the community think.

Now I have my own understanding of canon... but for the purposes of a blind test, me actually posting my ideas which I believe to be true and have had them confirmed to me by several users and people who actually deal with this kind of stuff on a daily basis would be a little pointless.

Basically I am here to get the collective or individual opinions of TF fans on three things:

1) What is "canon" (what do YOU think it is?)

2) How does that apply to the TF Multiverse (is there a canon, is it all canon or is none of it canon?)

3) What is there to back up this opinion (is there anything which either proves this or is it just an unwritten rule?)

thanks.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    1) Canon is, and always has been, any information released officially through Hasbro and Takara. That is, anything through their companies or though directly licensed media that ties into their products. Yes, this means there will be contradictions in the canon. Production statements made outside of the media, and "less official" sources (sources outside of the major marketed media and tie-ins to that media, such as storybooks, branded consumer goods, and convetion exclusives) are semi-canonical/apocryphal. These sources will always been superceded by official sources, even if at a later date.

2) See above. In the case of contadictions, a multiversal concept (ie. parallel universes) can be applied, unless otherwise stated in canon. This multiverse concept is an established part of canon.

3) The canon itself, how canon works as a general philosophical concept, and conventional wisdom in the fandom.

remember that the concept of "canon" has existed for literally thousands of years in other philosophical and literary concepts.

3. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Aernaroth speaks with intelligence and logic. Awesome.

4. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Everything. Cept Japanese.

5. Hunter114

Hunter114 New Member

So, just for clarification does that mean that all of the TV shows, movies, books and comics etc are all in one singular canon or do they each have their own canon?

6. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Continuities generally have their own canon.

The Bayformers, for example, are their own continuity. Any canon that applies to, say, G1, does not apply to Bayformers.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Canon refers to the entire body of official information that exists. In that respect, yes, they all reside in a single canon. However, canon isn't usually applied to situations like TF that reinvent themselves on a regular basis or have multiple independent storylines occurring at once, so this is where the concepts of continuity and multiverse come into play. Some continuities (say, a single series, or the movies, or the IDW MTMTE series) overlap, some do not, and some only overlap in certain areas. Some are functionally identical up to a certain point, and then branch off. It's complicated.

You could refer to the canon of a single series, but it's something of an inaccurate use of the term, since it implies some information is more official than others. But the only sources that are less official are ones that are more and more removed from the approval of Hasbro and Takara, not necessarily those from one continuity or another.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    What G1 Galvatron transforms into.

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Noooooo!

10. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    Canon: Optimus wants to kick Megatrons ass.

Not canon: Optimus wants to tapdatass! Toy bios, and comics for the movies. (They exist in their own continuity.)

11. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not sure I agree with this; I think so long as it's got an official licence, then it's part of the canon, whether superceded later or not. Any contradictions or retconning can be put down to parallel universes or whatever. You'll note that the TFWiki lists 'John', the comedy toilet Transformer, as an official, canonical character - even though most people would prefer to regard him as apocryphal!

Well, that's not strictly true; if at some point Hasbro ever decide to licence a book which explains that the Bayformers were time-travelling G1 Transformers from the far future, then I guess at that point it becomes a combined continuity. Remember folks: if it's officially licenced, it's TRUE!

Nope, Toy bios & movie comics are indeed canon. Because they're official products, see?

12. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    The Allspark powered line had the Resurrected Jazz, who then disappeared. They're not canon to the films.

13. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

It's called micro-continuity.

14. Stonecrusher

Stonecrusher jerk to storytelling

News Credits:
    In my opinion, nothing and everything can be considered canon in the TF multiverse as a whole.

15. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Everything, except for Bayformers and Kissplayers...
    Dahell, son? HUH?

16. Nevermore

News Credits:
    No, but they're canon to themselves. There is not ONE "main" canon. There are multiple continuities, but everything that is officially licensed is canon. This is not Star Trek.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I see it a little more narrowly than that. I mean, I guess that is true, but things released by Hasbro and Takara are not always mutually inclusive. So at the very least, there are two canons.

I, personally, am more interested in the Hasbro canon, whether that be the cartoons, tech specs, comics, video games, whatever. So a lot of the information released officially by Takara is kind of just fluffy nonsense, imo.

18. Nevermore

News Credits:
    No, you still don't understand.

G1 isn't compatible with Armada. IDW Beast Wars is not compatible with 3H BotCon comics. Marvel G2 is not compatible with FunPub Classics is not compatible with IDW Regeneration One.

Despite this, all are canon. They're just not in continuity with each other. They're still canon.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think YOU are the one who is not getting what I am saying. I allowed for all of those things. I just make a separation between everything Hasbro makes or licenses and everything Takara makes and licenses.

I understand that G1 and Armada do not share continuity and yet are both canon. I do understand the difference between continuity and canon. Rereading my post, I still can't see what I said to make you think I don't get that. I think you are melding my post with an argument you were having with another poster.

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I'm with Nevermore on this. Why are you seperating them if you understand what he's saying?