Transformers Campaign Micron - Firebolt Clear Yellow Version

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by flywheels, May 13, 2012.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a confession to make. I'm a Mini-Con/Micron-aholic. Ever since the small collectible Transformers first appeared in the Armada series of toys I knew I was in trouble.

While the flow of new Mini-Cons in the U.S. has just about come to a halt, Takara Tomy keeps churning out Micron toys. I did a pretty good job keeping up with a lot of the exclusive Microns released in Japan during the Unicron Trilogy series, but man is it getting hard to keep that pace.

The Power Core Combiners (PCC) series of Transformers weren't released in Japan (but a few are coming soon) and the series introduced some new Mini-Cons. Takara Tomy found a way to release these figures in Japan as part of a various campaigns. Some toys were given away with a certain purchase or amount spent while others were given away free. That's were the clear yellow version of Firebolt comes in.

[​IMG]

Given away in to children on January 15, 2012 exclusively in Japan at the World Hobby Fair. I was late coming to the party on this one. I knew of some of the other campaign Microns, but this one completely flew underneath my radar. I ended up finding this one for 800 yen loose. The small instruction sheet was missing, but since I already owned the PCC version I wasn't too worried.

When I first saw the pictures of Firebolt I had to do a double take. Was Firebolt the same as Pinpoint that came packaged w/ PCC Leadfoot? I poured over the photos time and time again and I couldn't come to any conclusion. Most would say screw it and just pass this release over. Being hooked on these little guys I just couldn't walk away.

[​IMG]

Can you tell which one is Firebolt and which one is Pinpoint? No? Me neither. Crap. Ah well. Just to let you know Firebolt is on the left. If anyone knows of a way to tell these two apart please let me know!

[​IMG]

Of all the exclusive Microns recently released I have to say this is one of my favorite molds. I love the articulation in robot mode. I love the gun mode even better. I also like how he reminds me of the old G1 Powermasters with the engine block on the back and the exhaust pipes on the arms.

I was a little disappointed after receiving this clear yellow version of Firebolt in the mail only the realize he's dang near identical to Pinpoint that I already had, but I knew I was taking that chance. At least I'm in good company as there is only one other Shmax user that owns this figure (for now).

For more Transformers and other toy reviews check out my blog, Random Toy Reviews.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  2. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Out of curiosity, how is a collector to know that he is getting the rare Japan-only release and not the cheap-o PCC inclusion figure?

3. Ceric Neesh

Ceric Neesh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Having made a decent portion of my living poring over photos looking for even slight differences, I'm pretty much positive that there's no way to tell, and, thus, buyer beware.

(I make prop and costume replicas for a living; I've gotten VERY good at identifying variations on certain items).

4. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Well I would have to ask, how much does 800 yen end up in US dollars? Im not up on my exchange rates. I'm guessing it's around 10 bucks which I would normally shy away from. But I'd give 10 bucks for that guy if I had it, even if it was just the PCC version.

EDIT: Holy cow, my first post in nearly two years. Damn getting married messed me up bad...

5. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the pics! I hadn't seen many clear pics of Firebolt Clear Yellow Version myself and it's nice to see him compared the actual Pinpoint as well.

If you're buying them loose with no paperwork? Virtually none, since they're basically identical. If you're buying the Japanese version sealed still, they come in little baggies with the instructions included.

6. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info guys.

I only asked because don't these special give-away toys tend to go for big dollars down the road?

I suppose that in the end, ONLY sealed/bagged sample will ever be able to claim that premium price right?

7. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Technically yes, over time most of the Micron giveaways shoot up in value. However, there have been a few giveaways that are similar to this Firebolt in that they're the exact same version as a US release (the Armada Night Attack and Road Wrecker teams were released in Japan as campaign giveaways rather than as carded USA Editions). I've never seen them for sale, but since they're not different than the US versions I wouldn't imagine there's high demand for them beyond uber-completionists.

It's likely Firebolt Clear Yellow Version, over time, will be a bit expensive over time when relating the size of the toy to its price on the secondary market, but I wouldn't expect it to shoot up in price unless PCC Leadfoot suddenly becomes hard to find and the Japanese version is left as the only alternative for micron collectors.

8. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really wanted to find a sealed version for this reason, but at the time I was looking I could only find the one I purchased...well at least for what I wanted to spend.