Transformers: Bumblebee - Empire Magazine Scans And Travis Knight Interview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Nov 1, 2018.

1. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I used to love Bumblebee as a kid. Back then I would usually buy only one toy of a character (I had very few Optimus Primes), but I bought tons of Bumblebees. There are a lot of people who hate him, but the character wouldn't have lasted 34 years if he was hated by everyone. Bumblebee is one the the few Transformers that is a household name.

So by your logic, is it wrong when soldiers kill enemies in battle? Is it wrong when police officers shoot dangerous criminals? I'm not necessarily trying to criticize pacifism, but I'm not sure why you'd be a fan of an action franchise if you're totally against violence.

I'll say it again, Autobots are not superheroes, their soldiers. They're not concerned with saving every life as much as they're concerned with the greater good. In G1 Optimus refuses to help his friends for fear of endangering humans. There are plenty of times he and the other Autobots attempt to kill the Decepticons.

I doubt Bumblebee has a "Decepticon jail" on Earth in the 1980s, so he can't just imprison them. And we don't even know the context of the movie. We don't even know why Bumblebee kills the Decepticons (if he even kills them at all...it could be humans, or maybe they survive). If he kills them, it could be a perfectly good reason. I'd at least see the movie before criticizing the character's decisions.

2. maurice

maurice Well-Known Member

I don't mind action and fighting. I'm sure there is a way to write it without killing. I'm sure there is a way to jail them. Or have them back on Cybertron and imprison. Or leave it open. And well Hasbro is acting like he's a good guy and they make him like that. For younger fans like me who really like Decepticons, there really is not much love, unfortunately. And I don't know about older shows but it seems to be that Bumblebee only recently is put in the foreground like all the time now. And I think he even enjoys killing which is really not justifiable. I think any sane police officer or soldier would rather imprison than kill..but it doesn't seem to be like that recently..

Really there are more Autobots who probably kill then Decepticons. And these movies love that, unfortunately. So that's hard for me to enjoy cause of it. From what I've seen in the trailers that won't be much different..

3. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I can see how in the Bay movies the Autobots seem a bit bloodthirsty. I have a feeling this movie will be different though. From what I've heard the Decepticons are good characters in this, and I' guessing their deaths (if they die) will make sense in the story. There's really no way to know until December though.

4. maurice

Then it's really just the same again..wonder if they can ever just make a movie without Decepticons dying.. I really hope they don't but from the trailer, it seems like that. And even in the comics associated he is very violent even to a con laying on the ground begging to talk instead.
    And to come back on the toys part. When I look there is not much choice other than bumblebee I know I hoped when rid was there for a Glowstrike figure for instance but didn't have that option.

5. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    Which comic does that happen in?

6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    If you're talking about within the fandom that's different from the unwashed masses. For the general public it's a memorable name, it's a color coded and recognisable character. There are 'fan favorite' characters that might be more badass or eccentric, but these are nobodies as far as the public is concerned that will shelfwarm unless the toy is in short supply or absolutely incredible.

Bumblebee, like Optimus, is the accessible character, a gateway drug to the franchise. Hasbro have allowed several characters a chance to share the spotlight in recent years, and none of them seem to get anywhere close to the same level of traction.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Digger

Digger Gohan wa Okazu!

What’s so good about nightbird that makes her better than a brand new and possibly interesting decepticon triple changer lady? Like nightbird looks cool. But she’s got nothing about her that’s especially captivating or engaging. Plus she’s not even a transformer.
    Also seems a bit weird that you’re saying it doesn’t sound good when we can actually see what this is about. Not to mention that having focus on mainly the robots in general is problem. Not just the decepticons. These films prior are mainly about the humans. Also the decepticons are probably gonna get more screen time and actual character than ever before so just be greatful for that. This is about bumblebee. They make a movie about decepticons or a decepticon. Or maybe in the Optimus Prime film we could get some deep look into megatron. There’s a lot of good possibilities here.

9. maurice

I haven't seen them give any other a chance. And this shows it's all artificial.

10. maurice

I'm definitely not grateful for a Bumblebee movie cause he's one of the worst characters in my opinion. And pretty creepy with hit bloodthirsty attitude one moment and acting "cute" another. The Decepticons probably will just get killed by him which is the least exciting.

And i thought the movie cared so much about g1 so then Nightbird would have been a given right. She has a lot of potential to be explored. We had 5 movies already about Autobots/Bumblebee it's really Bumblebee movie 6. I rather have some Decepticon love in movies which doesn't exist yet. Would be more diverse too.

11. Digger

Digger Gohan wa Okazu!

I don’t think bumblebee was ever cute in the first films but he was bloodthirsty as much as the other characters were. This new film seems a lot nicer. This is the beginning of bumblebee. He looks cute and defenceless because he’s in a whole new world. And I’ve read some of your other stuff on this topic and it doesn’t seem like he’s that keen to kill. Also if blitzwing was gonna throw him off that cliff why do you think he’d do it? Seems pretty fucking obvious he was trying to kill him. Regardless if he survives or not. Sure. Maybe the new decepticons could die. Sure. Maybe bumblebee will kill them. But I doubt he’s got a lustful desire to murder people.

Also literally any of the decepticons could have more character explored in the films. But Hasbro can’t bet on that right now. They just had a big financial loss with TLK. What they need right now is something they can do to get back on track. 1. Bumblebee. He’s a very popular character and you can make a great profit on him. 2. G1. I don’t think I need to explain that. That’s literally all of hasbro’s marketing these days. But if they mean GEEWUN they mean your pure blood fucking robot steel giants. Your Optimus Primes, Soundwaves. Now I’m just theorising here. But I’m pretty sure a broader Transfomers fandom would want an Accurate G1 shockwave over a strange reinterpretation of nightbird.

But don’t worry. I’m not doubting that could happen in the future. But if you want them to do that. Or make sure they can do cool things like focus on the decepticons. Then support this film. Believe in the good of this new and interesting direction. If this is good and we have faith in the future we can get the transformers films we’ve always wanted/needed. Just be patient.

12. Dark Prime

Dark Prime An Asshole Saiyajin

YouTube:
    The first one kinda looked like he jerked off

• Like Like x 1
  13. Digger

Digger Gohan wa Okazu!

Which one?

14. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    The movie (2007) Bumblebee has nothing in common with the original one apart from being yellow.
    Hopefully, this new film will correct that.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Digger

Digger Gohan wa Okazu!

Amen.

16. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Just out of interest - what does this issue of Empire have on the cover? Just so I buy the right one. (I found an issue with some Harry Potter type thing on it, which is listed as the November issue, but no mention of Travis Knight).

17. Shatter

Shatter The Transformers Are All Dead.

26ACD91C-7D6B-4F58-BEC2-07A2B6B734C5.png

• Like Like x 1
  18. RinAldo

RinAldo Well-Known Member

In July I had already hypothesized that Shatter's design was inspired by Nightbird G1 (see my thread: Analysis of the robot in the Bumblebee film)... but read that Travis Knight says: the design of Dropkick is inspired by "Megatron G1"... but where is this resemblance? I rest of my idea that Dropkick is inspired by Sandstorm G1, as I highlighted in the picture in my thread described above!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Digger

Digger Gohan wa Okazu!

I am aware of your analysis and it was very impressive. Well they did state that it was explicitly g1 megatron but first of all. Which version? Toy? Toon? And if not is there another megatron that looks more like him?

20. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm prett sure he was talking about his head and Dropkick have a bucket-ish head

• Like Like x 2