Transformers Build a figure

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Deadend, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    I know it doesn't exist after transmutate so far, but what if one could be done as a test for marketability, something similiar to how marvel legends had tested it over time.

Personally I hope if they ever attempt it, it'll be with the gestalt teams, with the BAF parts being the connecting pieces, hands, feet and head.
    If hasbro did something anywhere near as amazing as frenzy rumble's amazing action figures I'd be in awe and eating it up. Ditto to Menasor, Superion, Bruticus, Defensor, Predaking, and Computron.

Could BAF work for any other transfomers figures besides transmutate?
    I tend to lean Gestalts as the ultimate build-a-figure but they could do others.
    Quints and their ilk, spike in movie exo suit, soundwave (since ravage is with hound, and soundwave's transformation is rather simplistic, but fans want him as something similiar, so BAF him in pure G1 glory and simplicity! But have BW poseability. He needs to breakdance. Or make soundblaster this way saying Classic he and blaster blew each other apart in battle so often he needed a new body. So he went back to his soundblaster old body.) anything else come to mind or you'd like to see/think would sell well?

I think with something like a classics soundblaster BAF of his G1 self, they could also span the line better while keeping us buying them all. But so long as a classics wreckgar had an arm I'd be happy. This way they could even push some not sure characters on popularity, or retool scouts given a BAF piece sold at deluxe price.
    He'd only have to be about as big as having ravage or a new laser beak in his chest would need while being under Classics megatron's height, and would essentially have his G1 transformation but be able to bend his knees both ways instead of just for his transformation. They could spread him out to 5 figures, or more if chosen. Right arm, left arm, chest(compatible for ravage for scale of figure), right leg, left leg, tape warriors.
    By doing soundblaster(Black soundwave) it also leaves them the freedom to do a soundwave as they see fit whenever, but can still tap his likeness and cult fandom. Could work for Autobot Blaster too later, or any other characters that fans want to see that could never get their G1 form back again (Kup, Blaster, Soundwave, G1 Arcee, G1 Sharkticon, Deluxe Optimal Optimus all could be done mildly easily and in ball joints, optimal optimus having a bit of mode compromise like Ti6 and the sharkticon needing to have his body split in two halves for size, cost and ability to transform).

2. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    So are we talking about build a figures that are like the hard hero transformers statues? Personally I don't think it wouldn't be that hard to make a actually transforming build a figure. Just take a perfectly functional transformer toy design Then modify that design so the limbs can click off their place. (not poping it off a ball joint but more of a ratchet socket) packaging each piece with a figure in the set.

Then once you do collect the figures in the set you get a actual bonus toy that's not a statue or nontransforming thing.

One thing I don't like about build a figures is how the current shelfwarmer lines seem constructed as a way to instigate the sale of normally stupid shelfwarmer toys.

Marvel legends and that other series with the indy comic characters build a figures has a lot of disgustingly bad and stupid main toys that you would only buy to get that part you need for build a sandman or something.

The point is I like the novelty of building a figure through encouraging the purchase of complete waves. But I don't like that they can use that as a excuse for bad toys mixed in with the lot.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd personally much prefer something like the Micromaster combiners - the combiner parts made a spaceship.

You could have, say, wave 4 Animated with the parts to build a model of the Elite Guard ship, or something.

4. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I'm with this idea.

5. Ricky_Stream

Ricky_Stream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    or classics with an Ark or a Nemesis....or even better....teletran-1 diorama with electronics!!

6. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This would be a great incentive when hasbro releases its repaint waves. Even just human figures or some of the city droids in animated.

7. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    While a transforming build-a-figure would be cool. I also like this idea.

8. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

Somebody should look into passing this idea up the propper channles. I think a BAF or base/diorama would be all kinds of cool.

9. Reflector Unit

Reflector Unit Cameracon

This. I need to at least get a Meltdown figure!

10. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:

This is exactly what I'd like to see as well!:thumbs2: 

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    You just gave me an idea ;) 

12. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd like to see them, but I'm gonna say no for 2 reasons.
    1. My interest isn't really holding up like it used to. I'm not gonna by figures I don't want to get pieces of a BAF that I need because I bought one of the figures with a piece.

2. (less personal) They'd have to put the pieces with figures that will be equally hard/easy to find. Since that's too unpredictable, there's definitely gonna be complaints because "I can't find the left leg" or "Evil scalpers got all the torsos".

I think there's too much they'd have to deal with in order to make it happen... But it's a nice idea in theory.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The biggest issue I always run into with other Build-a-fig lines is:

If you want the BAF, you have to buy the whole wave, including stuff you don't want otherwise (obviously)

If you just want part of the wave and not the BAF, you end up with useless BAF-chunks. :) 

It is kinda funny to mention combiner characters as BAFs, simply because in their own way that's what combiners already are in basic terms, except that you build the extra figure out of the exisitng figures.

Personally, I doubt I would much care about build-up bases, sets, or ship models. I'd love to get some small human character figures that look decent next to the robots. I'd be willing to buy a few toys that I wouldn't otherwise for that.

14. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    If they do this for animated, the BAF should be the trash can droids.

15. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Actual transforming figures, cause something like WST Soundwave could be tweaked and upscaled to deluxe. Easily at that. Just tweak the knees so they bend both ways so he can break dance. Balljoints and other similiar easy to snap together toy design methods could allow this. Especially soundwave, blaster, and spike in exo suit since their transformations are so simplistic. Arcee can be simplified like that, but I'd prefer her as her own deluxe mold with complicated transformation.
    Kup could do this too, and still work as transforming.

Or build a bigger allspark, nemesis, etc. Even interlocking battle streets/areas of cybertron would be interesinting
    I'm talking any and all ideas that would work for this. And yeah part of the issue is spreading it across the line with even distrobution, but that's kinda the point with a retool, remold heavy wave. Since you need to push all the ones some may want to buy again. But hey, it's a great incentive to do it!
    Maybe split it into two waves, like universe classics is doing. That way eventually it would all have even distrobution. waves 1-2 being one figure, then waves 3-4 being another. Especially if they say at a pace of 3-2-3 for the waves 1, 2, 3)
    Especially if they rerelease silverbolt with superion head or Onslaught with bruticus helmet.
    Gestalts would pretty much be akin to Marvel's Galactus, or Sentinel. =D

Animated human villians, or Sari and sumdac would be interesting too. I didn't even think of those. xD

Personally I kinda like the idea of spreading allspark pieces amongst the repaints of animated. Then once together, you have the allspark case and shards that combine into the allspark. (Safe non-sharp shard pieces.)
    Lights and Sound teletran-1 would rock too. Especially if it included the satellite drone.
    Or animated included that with theirs.

How about, BAF IDW Wheelie. xD Transforming of course.