Transformers books have lost a third of readers discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by agp, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

And you can claim if it's good or bad for everyone after you said that you're not interested in anything but Transformers? I'm not sure if you have any standing to have an opinion here, let alone to make a valid statement.

Point is, the G.I.Joe books don't really matter for Transformer fans and G.I.Joe readers don't care for Transformers. Modernised G.I.Joe title is also losing readers and already close to have only 5k copies sold... Since it continues to have less sales every month it will soon fall under 5k copies sold. Well, I'm not surprised at all since IDW modern Joe series were always more or less mishandled and ARAH is probably the only one still interesting for fans. So maybe it's time to let it die again and have only ARAH running.

But then it's pointlessly weighting TF books by a tie-in that is about to flop anyway.

And sure as hell TF fans aren't going to read Joe books only because they got Skywarp there.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I never said I wasn't interested in anything except Transformers, I said they weren't relevant to my question. I read and enjoy most of the Hasbroverse comics, including all of their G.I. Joe.
    Anyway, I don't really know what this conversation is about any more, so... peace.

• Like Like x 2
  3. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mike Costa's Cobra was the best thing about IDW nuJoe, so obviously they should bring him back to work on another Hasbroverse book, with lots of Transformers crossovers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Calvatron

Calvatron Member

it's definitily uneven. That's for sure. There's not a good deal of general character development, barber seems fo be all or nothing on that. But he has done some subtle and slow development on Marrisa, Thundercracker, Jetfire, needlenose, and the constructicons. And some major work on prowl, soundwave, and arcee as far as season 2 and op go. But his strength was really the character focused issues like on ironhide, starscream, soundwave, metalhawk, and sideswipe. But it's all chunks, nothings well mixed in with the series.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ironically, I think he's too big for Transformers at the present moment, he's writing, what, 2 Spider-man books?

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I think on paper (ha!) the Hasbro-verse could have worked.

On one end of the spectrum you have alien cybernetic life forms and on the other you have a human military. MASK, ROM and GI Joe (come on, laser rifles and Sky Hawks?) sort of fill in the space between.

The problem is we've never seen much of the wider universe outside of Transformers so a galaxy plagued with Dire Wraiths seems to come out of left field. Then for this infestation on Earth to be so widespread already kind of seems strained. Let's remember also that Spaceknights will destroy an entire planet with less of an infestation than Earth apparently has at this point (which strains credibility of the ROM story) then the nail in the coffin is ROM's Wraith finding MacGuffin doesn't work.

So you've got a planet infested with your enemy at a level that warrants a tactical nuke and your primary weapon fails, hey let's make nice with the natives because,,,, reasons!

Yeah that's bad.

Next I'm going to savage MASK because they really COULD have done something here and while I kinda like what they're doing somewhat it could have been SOOOO much better.

Since MASK has less of a fan base and less history it could have/should have been easy to shoe horn into the fabric, but they failed and instead we get angsty stories about a re-cast Matt Tracker.

MASK could have been a step ABOVE GI Joe. Where as Joe is paramilitary, Tracker and his group could have been a special ops team using reverse engineered Cybertronian tech to perform covert missions. Wanna bring a tank and air support into a surveillance mission without, you know, driving a tank into the center of town? MASK.

The latest is that GI Joe has just gotten too weird. Wraiths on the team that don't even know they're wraiths? Whatever the hell is going on with Rock'n'Roll? I thought the endless Snakeyes fan wanking in the 2000's was bad enough. Now I miss that magic ninja.

I'd like to also point out that before IDW got the ROM license, Ryall pretty much shamelessly ripped it off with his book Onyx. I think it got about 2-3 issues. I wonder if we'll ever see it come up again?

• Like Like x 1
  7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I would agree,

EXCEPT...

if they did that, then ARAH would be the series getting mashed into this garbage, which would ruin that great book completely. I'm in favor of keeping botched IDW Joe series around, just to soak up the hit of having to be involved in a shared universe, so that ARAH never has to.

8. Infosaur

I'm also profoundly disappointed that my favorite books seem to be inversely related to sales numbers.

LL didn't get BAD for me, just less good, while Windblade/TAAO was just juicy Starscream politics.

So doctor,,, is there something wrong with me? Or everyone else?

*insert Pharma pic here*

[​IMG]

What about just bringing back Spotlights? Single issue, character focused stories that can span any era. Bonus that they can also be packed in with toys at a later date.

Stories like that can also bring in new readers.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Cavadus

Cavadus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would love more spotlights. I've always liked them the most anyways.

• Like Like x 6
  10. lordcryotek

lordcryotek “My memory’s a bit… what’s the word… dishes.”

Yeah, spotlights were a great way of allowing artists and writers who maybe need a bit more time to work or just had a shorter story idea to get something different out there. A perfect example of this would be Roche's Spotlight: Kup.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Infosaur

Spotlight Shockwave was my personal favorite.

It sorta copied the Marvel run but also made the Dinobot/Shockwave rivalry work on multiple levels (rage versus logic)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Cavadus

Cavadus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, Spotlight: Shockwave absolutely one of best. I really liked Dirge's and Drift's a lot too (and Drift's miniseries was also great).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 12:38 AM
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Y'know, between Marvel and DC trying hard to get me to stop reading their books with their magnificent and much needed events...

...I think I'm going to completely ignore and skip the entire First Strike on a principle.

I'm not falling for this with the Big Two books I won't fall for the same with IDW.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro needs to develop some new IP. Not with the purpose of adding them into the comics or anything. But because all these old IPs of theirs are better off collecting dust in the vault. Outside of a small, passionate fanbase, was there anyone really clamoring for the return of MASK?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

*crown of the hAsbro universe and friends being shoved into tf comics

*copying marvels publishing strategy

* no Milne

16. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I'm still waiting for the return of M.A.S.K. This new M.A.S.K. comic is to the original cartoon what the Bay movie comics is to the original Marvel comics. Some recognisable names but completely different. It's just not M.A.S.K. without Scott Trakker and T-Bob.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Aww what? Now I'm no big fan of MASK, but I have to imagine that this is a kick to the balls for fans. That's like doing the Jem movie with no Misfits or ThunderCats with no Lion-O.

18. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    the idea of a shared Hasbro Universe could work, if the Universe was designed from the ground up to be that.
    the current state of things is just a bunch of crap i dont care about, mashed into an 11 year old transformers universe and barely held on with duct tape and prayer.
    to be fair, ROM vs TF: Shining Armor is off to a good start (must be that Milne Artwork) and Revolutionaries does a pretty good job of tying the disparate franchises together for some good kooky fun.

but the Events. i fucking HATE, with a capital H, HATE these bloated crossover events that the comic industry is obsessed with nowadays. It's the reason i don't read Marvel or DC books. I hate when the stories and characters i'm invested in get gut-punched and sidelined for 3-5 months at a time. and then the creative teams have to scramble to pick up the story they actually wanted to write, and get it out before another fucking event donkey-punches their story.
    Mairghred Scott seems to get the worst off it. Windblade vol 2 got eaten by Combiner Wars. TAAO had to clean up the Titans Return mess, immediately after Revolution. and is now getting shit-canned right when it's at the cusp of telling a brilliant story.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Crossovers are half the reason I stopped reading all X-Men books back in the day. It's too much to keep track of, wastes too much of my money, and interrupts the stuff that was actually interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

If you're gunna revive MASK or Visionaries or any of those old properties, you gotta Big Hero 6 it. Surely? Homage the characters while telling an all-new story.

In my opinion, the huge problem with most of these revivals - heck, with most superhero fiction - is that the characters are privileged over the story. They're chucked into the arena and then get things thrown at them to make them do stuff. I think we'd all do a lot better if we started with writers who wanted to tell a particular tale, and then we had them revive such characters as are necessary in order to do it.

• Like Like x 3