Transformers BluRay Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Prowl, Sep 2, 2008.

1. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    I have all 3 versions of the movie now. DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

Anyways, so I was comparing both of the Hi-Def versions trying to see if there are an picture quality improvements. Its the exact same transfer with all the grain and noise specs in the pretty much all the exterior night shots. Still looks great though. I just thought they would've cleaned up the noise.

But the main attraction to buying the Blu-Ray, after having the HD-DVD version, is the audio mix. The TrueHD is a big improvement over the DD+ audio track on the HD-DVD version. When I first saw the HD-DVD version, I was thinking that this couldn't be the best audio presentation because it just doesn't sound dynamic enough for a home theater system. And then I check out the Blu-Ray release and WOW!! Its quite a difference. You hear alot more background noises and sounds of shrapnel and debris when things get hit by gunfire and explosions.

Now if only it came with a DTS 7.1 audio track, that would be the absolute definitive version.

2. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    There was a glory to this film? Are the CGI bots somehow less blurry in Hi-def?

3. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Vids are up! Two so far.

First vid is from day one of filming ROTF. Shows the mysterious Decepticon Audi (you can hear it being referred to as a Decepticon by someone on the set) and the three Arcee bikes - I think that only one of them is the Arcee "pink/purple colour."

Second vid is from the first movie about the effects work for the Transformers themselves, some of this has been seen before (posted on youtube I believe) but I think that some bits are new.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Gosh, that has to be the funniest thing I have read *EVER*

Anyway, I'm imagining that the BluRay version looks something like the Hi-Def version that aired on HBO-HD last month, which looked freaking amazing. Almost a better experience than seeing it in a theater.

5. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Has anyone got both the HD-DVD release and the BluRay release? Is there much of a difference? I've seen the HD-DVD version and it was pretty sweet.

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Um... not if they don't have a Blu-Ray player either, so thanks for rubbing that in my face. :mad 

7. kronos

kronos PSN = METROPLEX_84

News Credits:
    that router fix worked like a charm. BDLive is perfect!

pretty interesting stuff!

8. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Might rent this, but definitely not worth a $30 purchase. Blurry shaky handicam is still blurry shaky handicam, even if it is in High Def.

This will be a majorly discounted disc around xmas time, so that's when I *MIGHT* buy it. No currently released movie is worth $25+ (although Dark Knight is dangerously close).

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You have no idea how good this movie looks in Hi Def if that's what you think.

Yes, yes there was. And no they weren't blurry 90% of the movie.

10. kronos

kronos PSN = METROPLEX_84

News Credits:
    it seems like no matter what people say or do, some will just not accept it was a good movie. and it being in HD is a testament to how good this movie is. I mean the textures are so vivid and alive. It really is the definitive bluray movie. Its one that should be in everyones collection!

11. euroflip

euroflip Super Rockin Mister Magic

Ebay:
    watched it last night on blu-ray. this movie in 1080p looks superb on my 52" lcd with my surround sound system. You can actually see whats going on when it gets all blurry thanks to the high definition. Props to Bay for fighting to get us this movie on this format.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I've was telling a friend yesterday, "You can hate the movie until the cows come home, but you cannot deny that this is a perfect showpiece for HD movies, and is one of the best ways to show off your new TV or BR player."

13. N3M3S1S PR1ME

N3M3S1S PR1ME Revenge is Comin

how could the blu-ray version have better sound quality with dolby digital and not dts with the thx sound?

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

loved it! looks fantastic on my 42in 1080p tv :)  Looks just like it did in IMAX. The robots were Shiney and smooth and you could SEE them even when they were moving fast and transforming. Totally awesome.

15. wannabeGeorge

wannabeGeorge Art Mercenary

I haven't seen the HD DVD version, but with the possible exception of the audio, this seems like a direct translation, complete with the Iron Man trailer (COMING IN MAY!!) Generally, I'm really happy with it, but the fact they left that old trailer in seems a little lazy. Not a real complaint, just an observation.

The audio and visuals are great, and I really like the HUD commentary. I've never watched a BR with that feature turned on. I definitely will check them out from now on.

All in all, a worthy upgrade from the DVD.

Oh, and also, I'd like the $10 back from buying the DVD and the BR, but I don't want to cut a hole in the outer cover. WHY do they insist on the proof of purchase being part of the packaging?

16. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Really? This wasn't on the DVD right? I'll have to check it out when I get home. Also this looks amazing, worth the wait I suppose.

I got the BD live to work by changing my BD Internet Access setting to "confirm" instead of "allow" weird, but it worked and was a quick fix.

Also I was under the impression the SE with the masks are DVD only, correct?

17. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Picked it up today. I have a 52in and the whole setup. It still looks like shaky handcam fighting but that is expected. You can't fix the fights no matter how high definition the picture is but it is what it is. I really liked the menu and overall good purchase.

18. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Yeah, picture definition can't change how the movie was filmed.

19. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    THX means nothing. THX is not a sound process. It as a series of checklists and monitoring that boils down to one statement:

If ALL your equipment (receiver, cables, tv, the room itself, speakers) are THX certified, then your music/movie will sound exactly as it did in the editing room. So if a movie sounds like crap in the editing room, your THX sound will sound like crap.

If any of your equipment does not meet the THX standard, than the THX mark means nothing.

I used to sell high end home theatre and audio for years, and THX is the most over-rated.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't remember it on the DVD, and I searched through it extensively. But yeah, they are easy to find. Some of them are silly, but the Grimlock one looks kinda cool.