Transformers = Bionicle?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Awesomus Prime, Feb 25, 2009.

1. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

"Hahaha hey look at me I'm gonna be a jerk and post off-topic about how I hate everything"

But back on topic. I can see a resemblance between the movie-style TFs and the Bionicles, mainly in that both of them sort of have a spindly, busy look to their limbs- lots of li'l parts here and there, nooks and crannies, etc. Not saying either are a rip-off of the other, but there is some resemblance (unintentional or otherwise)

2. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

Yes, there is another Bionicle that looks extremely similar (facially at least) to movie Starscream. I think the "Bionicles" jibes are quite justified overall.

3. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

actually his point is on topic . I do alot of traveling and I have talked with alot of differant people across New England ( well its not long distance traveling ). The most reoccouring theme was people calling it Bionicle which is hilarious as I didnt realize it was that popular ( Bionicle )

There is still this one site i have to work at where the lady says oh that new bionicle film looks neat.lol. People only ever mention how real it looks never how cool it is.

I think in this movie they are doing a better job with the designs to get a more covered look ( some would say more G1 ) and they are less busy so you can actually see how it transforms. Maybe that will get rid of the bionicle comparison. However designs like Devatator and the twins leave alot to be desired.

4. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never had the pleasure of hearing "Bionicle" until my firend pointed out that The Fallen looks like one he got, not a bad thing too, it's his favorite.

5. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Nope TFs are like Bionicles. Bionicles laid claim to that style much earlier than TFs did. Unless you want to rewrite history, then go right ahead...

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Y'know there's some BW figures that look kinda bionicly.

7. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    Hey, I like Bionicle! It has a good story on it.
    In my opinion, it filled the "Cool Robot toys with even Cooler back stories" void after Beast Wars ended. I just lost interest in Transformers for a long period of time, until the movie came out.

8. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    Actually, it isn't. He just senselessly started attacking the robot designs without saying anything about Bionicle.

9. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

haven't you thought that the reason why one looks like the other.... Is the new use of ratchetty and ball joints on EVERY SINGLE ARTICULATED FIGURINE OUT THERE?

10. Vladakris

Vladakris Predacon

Yeah for me you have to be made out of legos to be a bionicle....... I cant see the resemblence.

11. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The Fallen don't look like Tridax.

12. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    No, he isn't a Makuta who clones people from other dimensions.

However, he does kind of look like Teridax.

:D 

13. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    first off theirs a huge difference in style unless cluster f**k is a style these days.

and if you really want to get nerdy you can look back into the 80's and beyond and see the whole Live action robot look kicking off hell look at Johnny 5 and movie wheelie but then I guess you think wheelie is more like Wall-E?.

and the stuff in lego is far from original all they have done is taken a few classic sci-fi things and thrown lego into the mix

14. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    I've heard a few comments about it, usually complaints.

I don't care if they look like Bionicle. If it's awesome, I'm buying/liking it.

15. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I've heard it mentioned a few times. The Bayformers seem very Bionicle based. More so than the actual source material I'm sorry to say.

16. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I really doubt Bay copied the BIONICLE line's looks. They just look more realistic the way they are, and it is probably purely a coincidence that they look so alike.

17. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Bah .... lol

you do realize thats all opinion

The designs only look real because ILM did a hell of job rendering them. I would bet money you could take a literal G1 design and it would look very realistic if ILM only dressed it up in all its wonder and splendor

These movie designs do not look more realistic they just look more bizzarre.

Its amazing the level of denial going on here on this thread. I never really looked at bionicles to do the comparison before but WOW. Some of them look exactly like frenzy and all the open space and exposed skeleton with some coverings is very much like the movie designs.

Btw why is it a bad thing I mean granted transformers dont look like Bionicle or shouldnt rather but hey it could be worse...... they could have buck teeth lol......oh wait. :( 

18. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    This.
    However, Frenzy was very Bionicle and now that someone else mentions it... The fallen seems rather Bionicle himself.

19. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    gee, i think they look transtech, you know that cancelled TF line a few years ago? no, it couldn't possibly be, bay and co must be ripping off some unrelated franchise.

20. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    In this day and age a new idea is always gonna have similarities to something that has already existed. I personally don't care about it. I robot inside a human shell isn't automatically a Terminator and the movie bots don't look like any Bionicle characters to me.