Transformers = Bionicle?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Awesomus Prime, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    Several times I've heard people who were new to Transformers, when they saw the movie, say that it reminded them of Bionicle when they saw it...

Have you guys ever heard of this comparison? I think it's kinda funny/strange.

2. Atlas

Atlas Supreme Commander

News Credits:
    Nope never heard anyone say that. :inquisiti 

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I've heard it once or twice. Most probably going to hear it again, in light of The Fallen's design.

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Skinny bots seem to be the look that Hollywood is crazy for right now. Look at a show like Battlestar Galactica and you see that thin look that seems to be all the rage at the moment among the designers.

I think though that since the Bionicle toys have so many busy bits and the movie Transformers have so many busy bits that why people are comparing them to the Bionicle line instead of the other thin bots out there since the other thin bots seem to have a sleeker less busy look to them.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Indeed. In fact, someone posted a comparison picture of a particular Bionicle and the Fallen toy in a news thread and the Bionicle was surprisingly close. If Hasbro had got Lego to do a Fallen figure it would've probably looked very much like the Bionicle posted.
    I'm not going to go hunting through hundreds of posts to find it but hopefully whoever posted it will see this thread and post the pictures again.

6. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I've heard people use that phrase once or twice.

And by once or twice I actually mean about 50 million times over the space of the last 2 years.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Except not very many movie bots are thin. Most are quite bulky. (contrary to most BIONICLE designs being thin)

The comparison to BIONICLE is just another cheap rip on the movie designs and toys because haters can't think of anything more intelligent. (like "geewunners" being used out of context to describe anyone who isn't an all-time fan of the movie or Animated and "hasblow" wich makes my eyes roll straight out of my skull)

Because BIONICLE characters have parts with visible hydraulics and swivels they compare it to the movie designs that have similar comnponents visible between the armour plating and joints. Though these are valid you could compare the movie designs to most robot designs.

Though all it really makes me think is how cool a LEGO/TF crossover line with technic parts would be. :( 

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Ah but just about anything crossed with LEGO ends up looking cool. Which could explain why LEGO gets so many things like LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Batman, LEGO Indiana Jones. The creative team over at LEGO is just always finding a way to make things so cool out of just little bricks.

Although since some people have called G1 "brick-formers" or whatever the slang for it is, does that mean that LEGO Transformers would have to be G1 :D 

9. chaoseffect

chaoseffect Custom TF builder

The robots are horrid. You cannot look at Bay's Devistator and proclaim "That is just a cool robot!" Or the car twins. They have buck teeth. Optimus prime has lips, toes and flames. The only design from both films that is okay is Sideswipe.

In my ever so humble opinion.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, Bionicles look like Transformers.

Yup, I can... And I think in the Devi reveal thread, I probably did. Shame on me, it seems.

11. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    i get tired with thisdiscussions - bionicle is lego an tf is tf!

12. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

I think the guy your thinking of that looks like the Fallen is called makuta heres a pic of him

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      142.5 KB
      Views:
  13. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I have seen a few people make that comparison before. I don't see it personally. They look nothing like Bionicle to me. The movie designs look like Transformers to me, albeit a bit more 'alien'.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    This is the post and picture I was thinking of (thought there was a comparison with the Fallen picture beside it. Guess I mis-remembered):

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/218196-rotf-fallen-toy-19.html#post3288966

I think if Lego ever did make a Fallen figure it would indeed look something like this figure (although the post goes on to point out it's actually a Neo-Shifter toy, not a Bionicle).

Certainly in the case of the Fallen I can see why there may be Bionicle comparisons by people. For the other characters though some maybe and some maybe not.

15. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes we can.

Yes we can look at them and can like them, because sometimes different people like different things. A crazy concept isn't it?

For fucks sake...

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And if Wreck Gar can have facial hair, then a robot can take on funny teeth to compliment his personality.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Actually, I can look at whatever the hell I like, and proclaim whatever the hell I like.

18. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    there were a few threads about his when the first movie came out. the difference is that bionicle is stupid.

19. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    one of many reasons why i respect this man.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me it's more the kick ass animation, but yeah :)