Transformers battle damage.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jet convoy, Feb 21, 2007.

1. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

So this ocurred to me a few days ago while planning to continue my fanfic (sorry for the shameless plug), but how much damage have TF's been portrayed as being able to substain in the series/comics/etc?

Like for example, in BW, TF's can survive beheading/ dismemberment and seemed like the only way to kill them was by direct damage to their sparks or completely destroying their bodies. While in other series TFs can be killed by beheading or by less drastic means like a single shot. I think its cool when TFs can take lots of damage and keep on ticking, but its also kinda stupid considering that why even fight at all if your weapons have no effect on the enemy like in the G1 cartoon ('cept the movie) and the latest cartoons.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    The best example I've seen was in the Marvel UK comics; Death's Head blasted the hell out of Shockwave, then opened his head, puled out his neural cluster and crushed it, ensuring that Shockwave wouldn't come back.

3. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

Ouch.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I always accounted for this by believing that Cybertronian war had 'denial of your opponent's energy' as a primary goal. Damaging another TF forces his side to repair him, costing them valuable resources. It's a strategic long-term gain, rather than a short-term tactical one that ultimately enables your opponent to redistribute his remaining resources more effectively amongst his surviving troops, boosting their effectiveness against you later.

Also, for a race as naturally long-lived and durable as they are, killing their opponents might seem inefficient (forcing repairs might be exponentially easier than taking them offline) and/or morally undesirable unless absolutely necessary.

Anyways, I've always used Draven's standard. Surgically precise destruction of the laser core, or complete obliteration of the body leading to a disembodied spark. Nothing less will suffice thanks to natural durability coupled with the advantages of stasis lock.

5. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    That is an interesting point that has analogues here. This is a quote from an article discussing options for a replacement for the US M-4 and M-16 rifles.

"What it all boils down to is that when the 5.56mm cartridge was first introduced to U.S. combat rifles, it was adopted because of its size and its fit with the U.S. "shoot-to-wound" philosophy of the time. While the 7.62mm NATO round used in the M-14 is much more powerful than the 5.56mm bullet, it is also much larger; a soldier can carry twice as many 5.56mm bullets as he can 7.62mm. In extended combat operations (wars lasting years), it was also estimated that wounded combatants would require more logistical support than dead ones -- with this in mind, the U.S. adopted the 5.56 round, since if the bullet did not kill outright, it would certainly cause a serious enough injury that the casualty would be hospitalized for a significant amount of time. "

I could believe that it was potentially more valuable to wound an opposing TF rather than kill them; this in addition to any potential moral issues that would be raised.

edit: fixed address

6. Jazz1979

Jazz1979 Well-Known Member

The 5.56mm had the advantage of reaching a higher velocity where straving bullets could kill a person because of the shock not by the physical injury itself. The cost of the lower weight however made it less powerful and not very suited to fight in the forest where the 7.62 was better in firepower.
    Another reason why they changed to smaller calibers is the increased accuracy with less recoil. I fired the G3 and the G36, and the G36 was much easier to handle/ to shoot accurate.

7. jet convoy

Hey, that's a cool article. I think the whole "shoot-to-wound" thing is kinda stupid though.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

At work, we're told that it's actually much more effective. Wound one man, and he's out. As a bonus, you slow down the man who has to carry him and the man who has to carry his gear. Plus, the medic is now occupied, which stresses out the remaining troops. Basically, it's 3+ for the price of 1.

Anyways, I'm drifting way out of TFGD territory.

9. jet convoy

I don't know dude, stopping power goes a long way. Where do you work, BTW? Damn, we're getting off-topic.

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Did the Army for a bit, but just a medic.

11. jet convoy

Very cool. Still, I think its too risky for the actual soldier to not be able to as effectively kill his enemy as vice-versa. I think with TF cartoons its more of a case of "We don't wanna traumatize the kiddies". That's one of the many reasons I loved BW so much. When the Tfs duked it out, they REALLY tore into each other.